SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Front and Back

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Front and Back

"And Moses turned, and went down from the mount, and the two tables of the testimony were in his hand: the tables were written on both their sides; on the one side and on the other were they written." -Exodus 32:15

[i]...the tables were written on both their sides[/i]

This seems to suggest that the Commandments were written twice, once on the front of the two tables and once on the back. [b]If[/b] that was the case, then I wonder if there is not a reminder here for everyone that would hold up the commandments of God before others - to hold them up before themselves as well.

"Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?" -James 4:11-12

2007/2/13 22:18Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re: Front and Back

This is an excellent point, I never noticed that when I read it.

I wonder what else the Lord could be trying to say through that.

2007/2/14 9:48Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Chris - you're on a roll!

Another profitable score!

Great job, brother! I can see you are a serious thinker and a brother who takes his time in the Word. This is a wonderful attribute, and one that will further your growth in ways unimaginable. Keep at it! The joy of one great discoverey fuels the next expedition. I, also, have never noticed this about the slabs Moses brought down from Sinai. This just shows me how little I really know, how much is still overlooked despite my numerous readings. If I've missed something of [i]this[/i] magnitude, I can't even imagine what else still lies undetected.

Thank you, Chris. Your posts are truly edifying.

Brother Paul

2007/2/14 10:45Profile
myfirstLove

So, I guess it would be wise to be walking in the Spirit, then you won't be under law (Gal.5:18),and be a hypocrite.

Those who are in the Spirit will not be walking in practicing sins, like the things named on the tablet so they will be able to preach the gospel with a clean heart.

But, if we have practicing sins (hypocrite) then I would take paul's warning in Romans 2.

2007/2/14 13:42Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Evening brothers. Thanks be to God for the gracious insights He gives into His word.

You know, when I was a very young child, I remember trying to read the Bible and it was a sealed book to me. It was a complete mystery. Later as a young adult I picked it up again, this time because I had gotten involved in a sort of new age group and the teacher would try to apply things from the Bible to his teachings. Although I grasped a couple things in the New Testament, superficially, for the most part it remained a sealed book.

Years passed and then, when I was not at all seeking Him, God began to call me and open my eyes. I had picked up the Bible again and this time it was wide open! I was understanding things and seeing things I had never understood before; for the first time I got it, I got the message of the Bible!

Brother Paul, thank you for the encouragement! The Bible is such an amazing book. I want to use the word awesome but feel like my heart doesn't do the word, applied to the Word of God, the justice that it should. I have been spending alot of time in the 119th Psalm after finding a recording of it being sung here on the Index. Wow. I say wow.

Brother BenWilliams and myfirstlove,

I'd like to share something of an application to this that was in my mind, in back of posting this, by way of a story from my experience.

When I first started to go out and try to tell others about the Gospel, I'd go out with a Bible in hand, lots of zeal, and quite a bit of nervousness and a little fear too... alright quite a bit of fear! Anyway, I didn't use tracts, or any sort of methods. I would just start talking to people and would often pray and ask God to give me a word from the Bible to speak.

One day it turned out I was the one that needed a word. Shortly before that I had approached a man and shared something from the scripture which the pastor had mentioned in service and I think he suggested that it might be for someone to hear outside of Church. So I thought this was the man. He recieved it graciously and thanked me. Well sometime later I saw him again and as I passed him, somehow or another I went over to him and he recalled our earlier meeting. This time he said he felt he should share something with me. In short, what he said was simply a chapter and verse. Know what it was? It was James 2:10

[i] For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.[/i]

When I found out what it was it really hit home. It was truely a word spoken in season for me because at that time I was becoming very self-righteous. And here-in I think is an application of this text. There is something very powerfull about sharing God's word with people and especially when it brings conviction. I say powerfull and very dangerous to our own souls as well.

When we wield the word of God under annointing we are handling more power than we must surely realise. I see it as a great snare that may be laid before us, in that, if we are not carefull, we may become puffed up, self-righteous, and even blind. How easy is it, when you are so often confronting others about their sins and need to be reconciled to God, having become so accustomed to doing it, to loose sight of your own? Here I see a way in which this text may be speaking to us.

[i]Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself?[/i]

Do we not always need to be reminded of our own unworthyness in the sight of God and condemnation under the Law while we are administering liberal amounts of its threatenings to others? Well, in my own case I think this was very much the need.
Having come to a certain place of outward obedience I was forgetting the pit from which I was dug:

[i]Speak not thou in thine heart, after that the Lord thy God hath cast them out from before thee, saying, For my righteousness the Lord hath brought me in to possess this land: but for the wickedness of these nations the Lord doth drive them out from before thee.[/i]

I think the scripture here may be warning us of this very thing, that we who hold up the commandments before men, not forget that they do always stand ready to condemn us as well, were it not for that perfect righteousness of Christ which alone has met its demands.

Psalm 119 verse 96 reads

[i]I have seen an end of all perfection: but thy commandment is exceeding broad.[/i]

Broad enough to find fault with our perfections still.

Chris

2007/2/14 20:15Profile

Hi, only just come across this thread! Interesting!

I've also heard it suggested also that the 10 Commandments were in duplicate, that the two tablets had exactly the same writing on each of them.

I don't know if this was a sort of legal custom, like having several copies of a document, as we do today, but the Covenant on Sinai was a legal agreement, God binding Himself to the nation and the nation to Him.

Other nations apparently had these sorts of covenants with their gods too, with an official documentation of the rules and conditions. But as the Psalmist said, "All the gods of the nations are idols, but the LORD made the heavens".

Spiritually I think it also makes sense that there were two copies. What did the Lord say, "In the mouth of two witnesses let every word be established". The two tablets were the two witnesses of the Covenant.

Therefore I wonder if the two Witnesses in Revelation 11 are actually symbols of the complete Word of God. They may be actual individuals as well, or perhaps just representing an actual spiritual entity, like the Harlot, the false church, or the scroll that John ate - the prophetic word God was giving him.

Mmmm...Much to ponder...

Jeannette

2007/2/18 16:31

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
Evening brothers. Thanks be to God for the gracious insights He gives into His word...

...Brother Paul, thank you for the encouragement! The Bible is such an amazing book. I want to use the word awesome but feel like my heart doesn't do the word, applied to the Word of God, the justice that it should. I have been spending alot of time in the 119th Psalm after finding a recording of it being sung here on the Index. Wow. I say wow...

...James 2:10
[i] For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.[/i]

When I found out what it was it really hit home. It was truely a word spoken in season for me because at that time I was becoming very self-righteous. And here-in I think is an application of this text. There is something very powerfull about sharing God's word with people and especially when it brings conviction. I say powerfull and very dangerous to our own souls as well.

When we wield the word of God under annointing we are handling more power than we must surely realise. I see it as a great snare that may be laid before us, in that, if we are not carefull, we may become puffed up, self-righteous, and even blind. How easy is it, when you are so often confronting others about their sins and need to be reconciled to God, having become so accustomed to doing it, to loose sight of your own? Here I see a way in which this text may be speaking to us...

Chris

[b]Thank you for this. What a challenge! Do you have the link for Psalm 119 sung - it must be a bit of a marathon, but as you said, WOW!

Jeannette[/b]

2007/2/18 16:36
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Psalm 119

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4925]Psalm 119[/url] [i]by Obey God[/i]

Not sure if this is the one Chris is alluding to but most interesting. Have something given to me from someone I met in a Barnes and Noble book store some years back, he belonged to an Orthodox church and the tape he gave me had a woman singing one of the Psalms ... Considering what Psalms in fact are, it was still very different to hear it, very beautiful.

Chris, you are bringing out again some very tremndous things here. I love Psalm 119 for so many reasons, the emphesis on [i]teach me[/i]... An older thread,
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=4617&forum=36&post_id=&refresh=Go]Psalm 119[/url]

Quote:
[i]Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself?[/i]

2007/2/18 23:49Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Good morning everyone.

Jeannette, you've given me some things to ponder here. The suggestion about the legal custom triggered something in my mind which made me think of Revelation 5:1. Interesting. :-)

Also want to give some thought to what you suggested about the witnesses too.

As to the recording of Psalm 119, the one I've been listening to is sung by Charles Ciepiel

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=397]Charles Ciepiel - Psalm 119[/url]

It is sung according to the divisions of the Psalm in the Hebrew alphabet, from Aleph to Tau, so there are 22 different 'tracks'. I'd say each one averages about 2 minutes in length.

Brother Mike, from thread about Psalm 119...

Quote:
To read it is to pray and might I say it is to pray aright. There is so much honest expression from the heart of David and cannot but appeal to the same cries and pleas.

After listening to this recording so many times now I can really appreciate what you said here. In hearing this sung I hear soooo much brought out of that heart cry; it is so beautifull. I just never saw it before.

Also, the tape of the woman singing, I wonder if she was french? I can not remember her name, but maybe she is the same one that sings some of the songs in the soundtrack for the movie The Gospel of John. This music...this voice...it is so beautifull!

Ohh Lord, we are stangers in the earth! Do not hide your commandments from us. May Your statutes be our songs in the house of our pilgrimage. Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness. And Your law is truth. Give us understanding, and we shall live.

And we shall live.

2007/2/19 8:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy