SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Hebrews 6:4-6 - What Does It Mean?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread

Hebrews 6:4-6 - What Does It Mean?

[u]Hebrews 6:4-6[/u]

'4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.'

What does it mean?

2007/2/13 11:22
JaySaved

Missouri

Re: Hebrews 6:4-6 - What Does It Mean?

Christinyou said this [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14567&forum=36&10]here.[/url]

Heb 6: is another proof that man cannot loose God's salvation given by Him, authored by Him and prepared His own sacrifice, that those who believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, which is revealed by God Only, they are saved to the utmost.

Heb 6 is always the first place those that don't believe that their salvation is eternal and fixed in Christ Jesus. They take it out of context and use only 4-6 to prove eternal security false. Also, according to the Bible, if we could lose our salvation, then it would be lost forever, because Christ only died once. Hebrews 6:4-6 is an often misunderstood passage, which strongly supports the doctrine of eternal security in two ways: it implies that Christ’s sacrifice must be sufficient for all sins, and states that if it were possible for a person to lose their salvation, it would be forever lost. According to this passage, if a person could do something that cost them their salvation (which they cannot), then it would be “impossible” for them to be re-redeemed. The impossible is not for renewing but for assurance that one cannot loose their salvation.

If you surround :4-6 with :1-3 and finish it with :7 you will see that eternal salvation is of God and not possible for man to sin a sin unto death. "Don't pray for it". Verse seven: Hebrews 6:7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God: The saved are the son's of God planted in good ground and the rain falling bring forth meet, fruit, for them by whom it is dressed. Who is the Vine Dresser? Of Course it is God. What is the blessing from God, the only true blessing that is for all those that believe, believing by the Holy Spirit? The only true blessing from God is "Christ in you the Hope of Glory". The one single thing that God has done that we should be praising Him every day and every moment is That Jesus Christ Has been Born Again in the believer and we now have a new life that is full of the blessing of the rain that fall on us to bring forth herbs (grazing land) meet (appropriate and fit) for the Vine Dresser.

The second part in verse :8 is for the unsaved, "nigh", (near at hand) are those that still have a chance to believe or they will go to damnation. They are near at hand to cursing and eternal damnation.

Hebrews 6:8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

Then Paul puts us back into verse :7; Hebrews 6:9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.

Notice, "accompany salvation", which takes the believing saint, a son of God into the complete assurance of eternal salvation: Hebrews 6:12-13 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises. For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, He sware by Himself. If God sware by Himself who can question His eternal salvation.

Hebrews 6:17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of His counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

Hebrews 6:18-20 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

What are the two immutable things? The sure reference is to the promise and the oath of God, each of which is firm ground of the assurance of salvation, and in each of which it would be impossible for God to lie. What is the strong consultation of our souls after the immutability of God not able to lie by the promise and the oath: Hebrews 6:19-20 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. This is absolute conformation the Col 1:27 Is true and complete in our salvation, surrounded by what Christ in a person will do; He will make all men perfect that believe the He is the Son of God.
Colossians 1:26-29 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Since it is not our life we live any more, we could not possibly loose that which God has promised. Galatians 2:20-21 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain. (And I could loose my salvation which is not mine to begin with, but Gods.) Author's addition

In Christ seeking the things which are above.
Colossians 3:1-4 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.::: Phillip

2007/2/13 11:35Profile

Quote:

richardf wrote:
[u]Hebrews 6:4-6[/u]

'4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.'

What does it mean?

[b]Hi Richard

The interpretation probably depends on how much of a Calvinist you are ;-).

The context may be important. There is no suggestion that the writer really fears this will happen to his hearers, (underlined part) but he warns of the [i]possibility[/i].

He does this in order to stir up their zeal and obedience to the Lord. [/b] [i][b][color=000099]

7 "For land which has drunk the rain that often falls upon it, and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is cultivated, receives a blessing from God. 8 But if it bears thorns and thistles, it is worthless and near to being cursed; its end is to be burned. [u]9 Though we speak thus, yet in your case, beloved, we feel sure of better things that belong to salvation. 10 For God is not so unjust as to overlook your work and the love which you showed for his sake in serving the saints, as you still do.[/u] 11 And we desire each one of you to show the same earnestness in realizing the full assurance of hope until the end, 12 so that you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises. "[/color][/i]

It reminds me of Isaiah 5, the parable of the vineyard - which was planted with good vines, but brought forth "wild" grapes. Perhaps comparing the two passages will shed some light?

Personally I do believe (though I didn't always) that it is possible for those who have been born again and received the Holy Spirit, and are moving in genuine spiritual gifts, (which is the meaning of verses 4-5) to become apostate.

But not easily - especially if the person concerned once faithfully served the Lord. ...As the Hebrews writer said to his hearers in verses 9 and 10.

It gives hope in praying for those Christian leaders who have turned to sin and false teaching...

Anyway, that's my understanding so far.

Of course if you believe very firmly in "Once saved always saved" then this will not be a possibility at all...

Jeannette[/b]

2007/2/13 11:49
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Anyone who believes in eternal security, does not know the definition of the word salvation from the original greek.

It is a thing that is constantly happening, and must be pursued or it will be lost.

Now for the meaning of these verses:
Read especially carefully the underlined phrases, as it will help with understanding the verse.

[b]Hebrews 6:4-6

'4 [u]For it is impossible[/u] for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, [u]and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,[/u]

6 [u]If they shall fall away,[/u] to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.'
[/b]

Ok, now let's make this really simple, and read it piece by piece, and see if the writer of Hebrews meant what he wrote. Here goes:

[i]For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened[/i]

This means that they have seen/heard the truth.

[i]and have tasted of the heavenly gift[/i]

The "heavenly gift" is Jesus Christ. So they have believed in Christ.

[i]and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost[/i]

They have been filled with God's Holy Spirit.

[i]And have tasted the good word of God[/i]

Good, powerful, convicting...etc...

[i]and the powers of the world to come[/i]

Signs, wonders, miracles, gifts of the Spirit.

[i]If they shall fall away[/i]

Turn from the right path, refuse the truth, very self explanatory, but the writer says it can happen, [u]IF[/u] they shall fall away, it is a condition, not a supposistion.

[i]to renew them again unto repentance;[/i]

They cannot come again unto God.

[i]seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh[/i]

Christ died once for men, not twice. This concept was demonstrated by moses, when he struck the rock twice, and then was not able to enter in to the promise land because of it.

[i]and put him to an open shame.[/i]

Because Christ died only once, and that was enough, to try to have Christ die again would be saying that his sacrifice was not good enough the first time. But the scriptur tells us that He was the perfect sacrifice. Therefore it is a shame to Him.

Ok, now in summary, many people who believe in eternal security don't believe this to mean that someone can lose there salvation, however, as demonstrated by moses, it is certainly possible.

On the other hand, people who do not believe in eternal security immediately jump on backsliders, as though they cannot be saved. But what they don't realize is this:

There are five conditions in these verses that must take place before a person can be considered unreconcilable. Six if you count falling away as a step.

You see, the person who turns away from God, after having experienced all five of these things, does it knowingly, and in direct rebellion to the truth. For he has seen far too much evidence of the truth. And decides that he loves the world and his flesh more than God. And would not want to repent even if he could.

One last thing, the common backslider, has rarely experienced more than two or three of these five things, and is then free from this, and needs simply to go to God and confess his sins and repent.

2007/2/16 10:33Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Ben, Greetings.

If your interpretation of Hebrews 6:4-6 is correct, then what do you say to Jude?

Jude 1:24-25
"Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen."

2007/2/16 10:42Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

[b]He is only able to keep you from falling when you surrender to His will.[/b]

I can go walk off a cliff right now, is that God's will for my life?

No, I must daily surrender to His will, so that I will be found as a good and faithful servant.

You see, God will call us "good and faithful" because we have been. To those that aren't "good and faithful" they will be cast into the fire.

If God simply "kept us from falling", then there is no need that I follow anything in the scriptures past the point of Justification. Because He would do it all for me. He will go save the lost, He will teach the bretheren, and as we all know, Christ is our intercessor, so He will pray for me, no need for me to pray.

It is the very fact that man has the ability to lose his salvation, that Paul says this:

[b]II Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, [u]whether ye be in the faith;[/u] prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?[/b]

Paul believed that we could lose our faith. Have you ever read about Demus?

2007/2/16 11:04Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
If God simply "kept us from falling", then there is no need that I follow anything in the scriptures past the point of Justification. Because He would do it all for me. He will go save the lost, He will teach the bretheren, and as we all know, Christ is our intercessor, so He will pray for me, no need for me to pray.

I dare not try to put words into your mouth, but it appears from your response that you 'follow past the point of justification' because you are fearful of losing your salvation.

I will not lose my salvation and I continue to deny myself daily. Why? Because I love Christ and desire to please him.

Quote:
It is the very fact that man has the ability to lose his salvation, that Paul says this:
II Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

There is nothing wrong with examining yourself and this does not prove that salvation can be lost. I can mean it was never genuine to begin with though.

Jesus says something about eternal security in Matthew 7

21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' 23And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'

Jesus says that he never knew those who proclaim to be his followers but are not. He does not say, 'I knew you but you fell away.' This goes back to God's foreknowledge of who will and who will not be saved.

2007/2/16 11:19Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

I think the issue here is that many ask Jesus to come into their hearts, but never really go beyond that. Then there is a group of people who press in to recieve all He has for them. The fulness of the Holy Spirit and make Him Lord of their lives. Forsaking all the follow Him.

In this position it would take utter rebellion to walk away from it because of the intimate fellowship these saints had walked in. It would be like spitting on God's precious gift because they are doing it knowingly.

It is a different issue for those who have not pursued God to that depth. They just meander in and out and sin and repent, almost like a whim. These still are able to be restored after repentence because they have never really tasted the deep things of God. I would say it is even questionable if they were ever really saved, therefore salvation is still held out to them.

I see it as God giving you the most beautiful awesome treasure and you going in and partaking of it and enjoying His company and pleasure and then returning to your own vomit. You would have to do that with intent, therefore you are spitting on the beautiful gift of God.

2007/2/16 11:36Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Paul believed that we could lose our faith. Have you ever read about Demus?

2 Timothy 2:9-10, "Do your best to come to me soon. For Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia."

My response concerning Demas would be the same as that of Paul's conerning Hymenaeus and Philetus:

2 Timothy 2
14Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers. 15Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. 16But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness, 17and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, 18who have swerved from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already happened. They are upsetting the faith of some. 19But God's firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: "The Lord knows those who are his," and, "Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity."

Also, I would respond as John the Apostle did in 1 John 2:19, "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us."

2007/2/16 11:42Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Goldminer,

Paul Washer tells the story of being late to a meeting because he was physically run over by a Semi. The people at the meeting did not believe him because they said, 'You cannot have a meeting like that with a Semi and not be radically changed.' His reply was, 'Same way with God.'

2007/2/16 12:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy