SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : WHERE IS THY GOD, O CHRISTIAN? by brother Greg

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex
Moderator



Joined: 2002/12/11
Posts: 38277
"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 WHERE IS THY GOD, O CHRISTIAN? by brother Greg

<a href="https://www.sermonindex.net/images/whereisthygod.pdf">[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/whereisthygod.gif[/img]</a>

Download this article as a pdf document and freely distribute <a href="https://www.sermonindex.net/images/whereisthygod.pdf">here</a>.

[b]Where Is Thy God, O Christian?[/b]
[i]by brother Greg[/i]

Revival is needed when men begin to say “Where is thy God”


TEARLESS, PASSIONLESS, BURDENLESS

Many people believe there is no need for revival in our day. Yet those that claim this are in most cases of the most apathetic in the church and have not shed a tear for the lost millions that will spend a eternity apart from God. Tearless, Passionless, Burdenless are most that do not claim the need for revival. Sadly many in the world agree that revival is needed in the Church. You hear the taunting cry from the heathen: “Where is thy God, O Christian?” Can you live in coldness? Can you live in blindness? God wants to come and strengthen His Church but on His terms. God is not liable to bless and honor our worldly methods and Church plans. God is looking for those that will cry out to Him to work for only He can. We need God to work on His behalf. The prophet cried out over 3000 years ago: “Where is thy zeal and thy strength?” He was desperate for God to work. This is revival, God working in the midst of His people. The great preacher James Stewart said: “The burden of my life is that God will revive His work.  I believe that the days of revival are not past, that the church's potential is the same as it was in apostolic days.  When a preacher says that revival is impossible in these days, he will never see an extraordinary move of the Holy Spirit in his life and ministry.”


A DISTURBING QUESTION

Roger Ellsworth in his book “Come Down, Lord” gives us a very strong picture of the state the Church finds itself in today: “The people of God have often heard the world tauntingly say: ‘Where is thy God?’ But it is a sad thing when the people of God have to ask themselves that question. We are happy if we can answer skeptics by pointing to present indications of God’s power. But what are we to do when God withholds His power from us and there are no evidences to point out? The church, in order to maintain credibility in the world, has to have the power of God. She is involved in a great spiritual warfare, and only God’s power will enable her to prevail. Human ingenuity and wisdom are simply not equal to the task. Trying to do this kind of work without the power of God is like trying to break huge granite boulders with our bare hands.”

“The problem, as I see it, is the church is trying to subsist on her own power. She is relying on her own abilities. Human wisdom can produce many things, and the church is trying to pass these things off as the hand of God at work, but the world is not buying it. They still bombard us with the disturbing question, ‘Where is thy God?’ And if we will get alone and examine our hearts, we will be drven to admit that the many things we are producing are cheap and shabby substitutes for the real power of God, and we will be compelled to cry out to God: ‘Where is thy zeal and thy strength?’”


A SIGN OF REVIVAL

“A spirit of lawlessness and deadness is about us. The prevalence of lawlessness in the world and deadness in the church is often an indication of impending revival. "It is time for thee, Lord, to work: for they have made void thy law." (Psalm 119:126) When the night is the darkest, the dawn is on the way. It is a mistake to always expect to see revival heralded by a decreasing of wickedness, or by marked and widespread improvement in the spiritual state of the church. The reverse is often the case. We must know this, or we will be discouraged, especially in these days in which we are living. Mr. Finney noted this all through those times of revival. Prevailing deadness among believers and abounding lawlessness in the world are not an indication that it is impervious. It is time for God to work. The hopelessness of the situation was, to the Psalmist, one of the strongest arguments in favor of divine intervention, for he saw those conditions as a challenge that an omnipotent God could not ignore. To him the very need of the hour cried out, ‘It is time for the Lord to work.’ So that is one of the real signals and sounds of revival.”

“Another sign of revival is a spirit of dissatisfaction. This second factor may be widespread among people of all classes, or it may be confined to a few people of God who are being prepared for what God is about to do. Though this widespread dissatisfaction is there in measure, it cannot always be discerned until the movement is underway. A sure place of impending revival is where the spirit of dissatisfaction becomes apparent among believers. God places this spiritual restlessness, this holy dissatisfaction in the heart. Many of you know what I am saying. There is in the heart this spirit of dissatisfaction. That didn't come from your flesh, it didn't come from the devil, it was placed there by God. It is the birth pangs of that new thing God is about to do. It is the travail out of which revival is born. "I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon dry ground" (Isaiah 44:3). "Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be filled." (Matthew 5:6). The profound dissatisfaction with which these believers view themselves and the work of God around them is actually a thirst for God. "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for the living God," cries the Psalms 42:1-2. There is a thirst for the holiness of God, for the power of God, and for the truth of God. In times of impending revival, there comes to hearts that are hungry especially, a thirst for the holiness of God. A longing fills the soul for victory over sin and deliverance from the corruption of this carnal mind. The cry is for hearts of flesh instead of hearts of stone. The desire is to be broken before God, to be wholly sanctified and conformed to the image of God's Son, to be like Enoch and walk in unbroken fellowship with God. That's a real mark of revival; a thirst for the holiness of God.”

“There is also this thirst for the power of God. Believers begin to view with growing concern the ineffectiveness of their own efforts to serve the Lord. They become conscious of the reproach of the ungodly that God is not among them. David said, "My tears have been my meat night and day, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God." (Psalms 42:3). The more we examine the pages of the New Testament, and the lives of those whom God has used, the more convinced we become that we ought to be clothed with power from on high. A thirst is born to be filled with the Spirit and to speak the words with boldness. There is a thirst for a holiness, a thirst for the power of God. Then there is a thirst for the manifestation of God, to see His power and glory displayed before the eyes of men. David expressed his thirst in another Psalm. "...my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee, in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; To see thy power and glory..." (Psalms 63:1-2) Another place David cried out to God. "Don't let me die until I've shown this generation thy power." There is a longing for Christ to be vindicated, for Him to stretch forth His hand to heal, that signs and wonders may be done in the Name of Jesus for one reason, that Jesus Christ may be glorified. Before revival will come, such a thirst must come to the elect. There is also a thirst for truth birthed when revival is impending; not only a thirst for holiness, for power, for a manifestation of God, but for truth. It's always prevalent, when the church has lost her identity, that there is a downplay of truth. This pursuit of unity on the grounds of something other than the truth of God becomes a prevalent thing. In times of impending revival, there comes this thirst for truth. There is born a healthy unwillingness to accept without question all that is taught as truth.”

WHERE IS HE?

Oh we hear this “taunt” in everyplace we turn in our day. Even those in the Church have realized that God is not in the midst. When men can speak blasphemies and preach that God has come to give you financial gain and not fall dead we know that God has left his Church. Can God be prostituted with the world? No! God forbid. His character has not changed from the Old Testament. When Israel fell away from God and worshipped idols He left them to their devices. Has the Church stopped being the Church? By no means, but it is obvious that God has taken his immediate presence from His people. When people can walk in unashamed sin in the Church and not be convicted by the Spirit we know that the Spirit of God as departed. God’s manifest presence has left the Church in North America and how we need to have God come back in revival.

Hear the cries of the psalmist:

“My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?”

“As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God?”

“Wherefore should the heathen say, Where is their God?”

The prophet Joel cried out:

“Let the priests, the ministers of the LORD, weep between the porch and the altar, and let them say, Spare thy people, O LORD, and give not thine heritage to reproach, that the heathen should rule over them: wherefore should they say among the people, Where is their God?”

The prophet Micah declared:

“Then she that is mine enemy shall see it, and shame shall cover her which said unto me, Where is the LORD thy God?”

May we cry out to God, “Come Down, Lord.” Come to your people we miss you God. Let us weep and mourn. Are we hungry for a manifestation of God Himself in our midst. The world is walking over us, trampling over us. We need God to move! How long Oh Lord. Duncan Campbell said once: “My dear people do you good folk understand what revival means? Have you a conception of what it means to see God working? The God of miracles. Sovereign. Supernatural. Moving in the midst of men and hundreds swept into the kingdom. Oh that we might see it, that we might see it.” Oh that we might see God come down to His Church and work on His behalf for His names sake.


_________________
SI Moderator - Greg Gordon

 2007/2/11 1:46Profile
hmmhmm
Member



Joined: 2006/1/31
Posts: 4991
Sweden

 Re: WHERE IS THY GOD, O CHRISTIAN? by Greg Gordon

God Almighty help us


_________________
CHRISTIAN

 2007/2/11 5:09Profile
Yeshuasboy
Member



Joined: 2006/6/10
Posts: 668
Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

 Re:

Your article really compliments a sermon by T Austin-Sparks. I have been greatly blessed listening to [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=446]it[/url] these past few days. It says to be the last part in a four-part series at a 1962 Los Angeles Conference. It's one of the best sermons I've ever heard.
Thankyou for the article brother,

richie


_________________
Richie

 2007/2/11 6:03Profile
sermonindex
Moderator



Joined: 2002/12/11
Posts: 38277
"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Here is a comment on this article:

Quote:
Quote:

The prevalence of lawlessness in the world and deadness in the church is often an indication of impending revival. "

Yes - I have heard it said - that Jesus was never to early - nor - to late when he appeared on the earth - for the relegious Pharasses were corrupting society and the Word of God.

Quote:

A sure place of impending revival is where the spirit of dissatisfaction becomes apparent among believers. God places this spiritual restlessness, this holy dissatisfaction in the heart. Many of you know what I am saying. There is in the heart this spirit of dissatisfaction. That didn't come from your flesh, it didn't come from the devil, it was placed there by God.

Yes - this is very evident in our time right now.

Quote:
A thirst is born to be filled with the Spirit and to speak the words with boldness. There is a thirst for a holiness, a thirst for the power of God. Then there is a thirst for the manifestation of God, to see His power and glory displayed before the eyes of men. David expressed his thirst in another Psalm. "...my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee, in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; To see thy power and glory..." (Psalms 63:1-2) Another place David cried out to God. "Don't let me die until I've shown this generation thy power." There is a longing for Christ to be vindicated, for Him to stretch forth His hand to heal, that signs and wonders may be done in the Name of Jesus for one reason, that Jesus Christ may be glorified. Before revival will come, such a thirst must come to the elect. There is also a thirst for truth birthed when revival is impending.

Yes this is the prayer of many - May Christ be known and may His name be glorified in all the earth. May the Truth of christ be heard throughout the earth and the harvest be reached with this truth. Amen

Quote:

Has the Church stopped being the Church? By no means, but it is obvious that God has taken his immediate presence from His people. When people can walk in unashamed sin in the Church and not be convicted by the Spirit we know that the Spirit of God as departed. God’s manifest presence has left the Church in North America and how we need to have God come back in revival.

Hear the cries of the psalmist:

“My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?”

“As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God?”

“Wherefore should the heathen say, Where is their God?”

The prophet Joel cried out:

“Let the priests, the ministers of the LORD, weep between the porch and the altar, and let them say, Spare thy people, O LORD, and give not thine heritage to reproach, that the heathen should rule over them: wherefore should they say among the people, Where is their God?”

The prophet Micah declared:

“Then she that is mine enemy shall see it, and shame shall cover her which said unto me, Where is the LORD thy God?”

May we cry out to God, “Come Down, Lord.” Come to your people we miss you God. Let us weep and mourn. Are we hungry for a manifestation of God Himself in our midst. The world is walking over us, trampling over us. We need God to move! How long Oh Lord. Duncan Campbell said once: “My dear people do you good folk understand what revival means? Have you a conception of what it means to see God working? The God of miracles. Sovereign. Supernatural. Moving in the midst of men and hundreds swept into the kingdom. Oh that we might see it, that we might see it.” Oh that we might see God come down to His Church and work on His behalf for His names sake.



Quote:
Your article really compliments a sermon by T Austin-Sparks. I have been greatly blessed listening to it these past few days. It says to be the last part in a four-part series at a 1962 Los Angeles Conference. It's one of the best sermons I've ever heard.
Thankyou for the article brother,



[b]Los Angeles Conference #4[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=446


_________________
SI Moderator - Greg Gordon

 2007/2/11 21:02Profile









 Re: WHERE IS THY GOD, O CHRISTIAN? by Greg Gordon

Quote:
Many people believe there is no need for revival in our day. Yet those that claim this are in most cases of the most apathetic in the church and have not shed a tear for the lost millions that will spend a eternity apart from God.


Sadly, they are also the ones who will criticize those who are weeping and praying for revival.
Quote:
The problem, as I see it, is the church is trying to subsist on her own power. She is relying on her own abilities.

And then God has to take her through great trials so as to make her weak so He can use her. God has to get us totally dependent on Him...how long will it take before we recognize our great weakness and cry out in desperation to Him?!!
Quote:
When the night is the darkest, the dawn is on the way.


Quote:
The hopelessness of the situation was, to the Psalmist, one of the strongest arguments in favor of divine intervention, for he saw those conditions as a challenge that an omnipotent God could not ignore.

Are we praying to God on the basis of His glory being at stake in this matter? We long for revival because it will glorify Him!
Quote:
A sure place of impending revival is where the spirit of dissatisfaction becomes apparent among believers.

Quote:
That's a real mark of revival; a thirst for the holiness of God.”

God, stir us up and make us so hungry that we cannot live without it!
Quote:
There is also this thirst for the power of God. Believers begin to view with growing concern the ineffectiveness of their own efforts to serve the Lord.

God make us thirsty!!!

This article has encouraged and blessed my soul.

 2007/2/11 22:46
heftzibah
Member



Joined: 2007/2/12
Posts: 2


 Re: WHERE IS THY GOD, O CHRISTIAN? by Greg Gordon

You said exactly what I have in my heart.
I feel ashamed about the weakness of the church. We are supposed to represent Christ here on earth as Christ`s Body. But we do not really represent Him in these times because He is not weak and worldly as we are right now but He is holy and powerful.
What disturbs me even more is that some believers do not even notice this, and they are not hungry for revival. I pray a lot that God would put this hunger in the heart of my brothers and sisters.

 2007/2/14 5:35Profile
prettyboy
Member



Joined: 2007/7/1
Posts: 1
oregon

 Re: i would like to say that this article has touched my heart. come lord jesus

:-D


_________________
George Jarvis

 2007/7/4 21:21Profile
sermonindex
Moderator



Joined: 2002/12/11
Posts: 38277
"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Re: i would like to say that this article has touched my heart. come lord jesus


Amen, may these things move us into eternal realities in our walk in this earth for the glory of God.


_________________
SI Moderator - Greg Gordon

 2007/7/4 21:22Profile
crsschk
Member



Joined: 2003/6/11
Posts: 9192
Santa Clara, CA

 Re:WHERE IS THY GOD, O CHRISTIAN? by Greg Gordon

Quote:
When men can speak blasphemies and preach that God has come to give you financial gain and not fall dead we know that God has left his Church.



Quote:
There is a longing for Christ to be vindicated


_________________
Mike Balog

 2007/7/4 22:41Profile





©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy