Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Frisbee

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
jamccor

New Jersey

Frisbee

I just purchased a video on the life of Lonnie Frisbee.Despite the scandal that surrounded his life, he seemed like a modern day john the baptist. Has anyone seen this video?

2007/2/10 18:38Profile

Re: Frisbee

This is really 'off topic' but...
I've gotta admit when I saw your thread I thought 'Oh no, we just got over a pie discussion and now we're going to talk about frisbees!!' :-P :-P :-P

But as to your question I've never seen the video or heard of this person...sorry.

2007/2/10 18:43
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
we just got over a pie discussion and now we're going to talk about frisbees!!

:-P

That's good! Lonnie Frisbee was basically the poster child for the hippie Jesus movement back in the 60's and 70's. He had long hair and a beard and, for many people, typified what Jesus looked like. I understand he contracted AIDS and died. I don't know too much else about him. I think he may have teamed up with Chuck Smith and Calvary Chapel at one time.

Brother Paul

2007/2/10 18:51Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Lonnie Frisbee

Here is an older post with links.
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=3979&forum=34&post_id=&refresh=Go]Kathryn Kuhlman & Chuck Smith with the Jesus People (video)[/url]

2007/2/10 23:02Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi,i didn't realize it was out on dvd yet,ive been waiting for it..
He was part of Chucks church and then John Wimber vineyard..
He is considered to of been instrumental in creating calvary and vineyard,but written out of both,so the dvd webpage implies..

At his funeral the eulogy was of a Samson type character..
andy

2007/2/11 3:16Profile

Re:

I've read what is available about Lonnie Frisbee. There isnt much because he was swept under the carpet in a way.

Here is my take on it. He did hook up with Chuck Smith, and he was very pivotal in the beginnings of the Jesus Movement. After a while he began to get into some doctrines that Smith found to be troubling, and Lonnie eventually broke away and became associated with the Vineyard.

Personally, I think Chuck Smith was correct. There are a lot of things about Vineyard that I believe are way off doctrinally.

Lonnie struggled with homosexually. Apparently he was never able to gain the victory over it, which is a shame because it killed him in the end.

I believe he was saved. I believe he had a good heart, and really wanted to serve the Lord. But his propensity for bizzare charismatic doctrines and his giving into to sin prevented him from being all that God wanted him to be.

I'm not sure I would hold him up as a spiritual giant, and I'm pretty sure he wouldnt want us to. I think perhaps he is a good example that we all struggle, and none of us are above God's judgement when we give in to the struggle.

It's unfortunate that Chuck Smith has completely written Lonnie Smith out of the history of Calvary Chapel and the Jesus Movement. Thats one thing that has bothered me about this whole issue.

Remember that the DVD has an agenda... to make Lonnie Frisbee a hero. Not sure that he was. A brother? I think he was. A hero? Huh... are any of us? Maybe in our own minds. But in reality... not so much.

Krispy

2007/2/12 12:26
Compton

Re:

Quote:
There isnt much because he was swept under the carpet in a way...It's unfortunate that Chuck Smith has completely written Lonnie Smith out of the history of Calvary Chapel and the Jesus Movement.

How different the Bible is in regards to recording the failures of leaders. This is one way we know the Bible is faithful history and not just man's recollection.

Quote:
A hero? Huh... are any of us? Maybe in our own minds. But in reality... not so much.

The frankness of that was funny!

MC

2007/2/12 13:04Profile

Re:

Quote:
How different the Bible is in regards to recording the failures of leaders.

Hmmm... how true. I was at a homeschool convention this weekend and someone there was selling some history curriculum. I had happened to see this before, and I was most unimpressed with one book they had on Thomas Jefferson. It made him out to be a godly man. Now, in some respect he was a moral man, and no doubt a genious, but he was not a believer. He was a "deist". I mentioned to the woman I didnt like that book on Jefferson... and she asked why... so I said "Because a) he was not a Bible believer, b) he took a pair of scissors and cut out every miracle in the Bible, which is forbidden in scripture, and c) he sired children with a woman who he was not married to."

She said "well, thats not really appropriate for children, dont you think?"

I said "Neither is making him out to be something he wasnt. I admire Jefferson as a brillant leader, but I'm also realistic."

This is Christian curriculum!!

I agree, it's refreshing that scripture is so honest about the people in it. It goes well with the assertion that God is Truth! Even when it's not comfortable.

Krispy

2007/2/12 13:21
theopenlife

Re:

Quote:
I agree, it's refreshing that scripture is so honest about the people in it. It goes well with the assertion that God is Truth! Even when it's not comfortable.

Huge "Amen" to that. I read Judges recently and thought, 'God, You must be angry that I even have to read these terrible things?'.

2007/4/26 16:39Profile

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
I've read what is available about Lonnie Frisbee. There isnt much because he was swept under the carpet in a way.

Here is my take on it. He did hook up with Chuck Smith, and he was very pivotal in the beginnings of the Jesus Movement. After a while he began to get into some doctrines that Smith found to be troubling, and Lonnie eventually broke away and became associated with the Vineyard.

Personally, I think Chuck Smith was correct. There are a lot of things about Vineyard that I believe are way off doctrinally.

Lonnie struggled with homosexually. Apparently he was never able to gain the victory over it, which is a shame because it killed him in the end.

I believe he was saved. I believe he had a good heart, and really wanted to serve the Lord. But his propensity for bizzare charismatic doctrines and his giving into to sin prevented him from being all that God wanted him to be.

I'm not sure I would hold him up as a spiritual giant, and I'm pretty sure he wouldnt want us to. I think perhaps he is a good example that we all struggle, and none of us are above God's judgement when we give in to the struggle.

It's unfortunate that Chuck Smith has completely written Lonnie Smith out of the history of Calvary Chapel and the Jesus Movement. Thats one thing that has bothered me about this whole issue.

Remember that the DVD has an agenda... to make Lonnie Frisbee a hero. Not sure that he was. A brother? I think he was. A hero? Huh... are any of us? Maybe in our own minds. But in reality... not so much.

Krispy

never heard of him either but the comparison with Samson seems very apt. Samson was headstrong, unstable, apparently didn't even try to curb his sexual urges. Yet he's in the Hebrews 11 "Hall of Fame"!

The grace of God is beyond all understanding!

Jeannette

2007/4/26 20:05

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy