See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Thorns in Christians Sides

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rowdy2

Southern USA

The Thorns in Christians Sides

Numbers 33: 52-56
Then ye shall drive out all the inhabitants of the land from before you, and destroy all their pictures, and destroy all their molten images, and quite pluck down all their high places. And ye shall dispossess the inhabitants of the land, and dwell therein: for I have given you the land to possess it. And ye shall divide the land by lot for an inheritance among your families: and to the more ye shall give the more inheritance, and to the fewer ye shall give the less inheritance: every man's inheritance shall be in the place where his lot falleth; according to the tribes of your fathers ye shall inherit. But if ye will not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you; then it shall come to pass, that those which ye let remain of them shall be pricks in your eyes, and thorns in your sides, and shall vex you in the land wherein ye dwell. Moreover it shall come to pass, that I shall do unto you, as I thought to do unto them.
Take good heed therefore unto yourselves, that ye love the Lord your God.

Joshua 23: 11-16 KJV
Else if ye do in any wise go back, and cleave unto the remnant of these nations, even these that remain among you, and shall make marriages with them, and go in unto them, and they to you:
Know for a certainty that the Lord your God will no more drive out any of these nations from before you; but they shall be snares and traps unto you, and scourges in your sides, and thorns in your eyes, until ye perish from off this good land which the Lord your God hath given you.
And, behold, this day I am going the way of all the earth: and ye know in all your hearts and in all your souls, that not one thing hath failed of all the good things which the Lord your God spake concerning you; all are come to pass unto you, and not one thing hath failed thereof.
Therefore it shall come to pass, that as all good things are come upon you, which the Lord your God promised you; so shall the Lord bring upon you all evil things, until he have destroyed you from off this good land which the Lord your God hath given you. When ye have transgressed the covenant of the Lord your God, which he commanded you, and have gone and served other gods, and bowed yourselves to them; then shall the anger of the Lord be kindled against you, and ye shall perish quickly from off the good land which he hath given unto you.

Judges 2: 1-4
And an angel of the Lord came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you.And ye shall make no league with the inhabitants of this land; ye shall throw down their altars: but ye have not obeyed my voice: why have ye done this? Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you. And it came to pass, when the angel of the Lord spake these words unto all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voice, and wept.

Matthew 12: 28 KJV
But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

Matthew 12 43-45
When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

Paul let a demon return and God did not answer his prayer
2 Corinthians 12
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

The people of the earthly kingdom of Israel in the Old Testament that were baptized into Moses were examples of how we Gentiles who are baptized into Jesus Christ have put on Christ after that faith came, we are no longer under a schoolmaster the Old Testament. For we are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus but we should heed our school master so we we occupy our spiritual kingdom of the New Testament as we should waiting for our Lord’s return .

1 Corinthians 10 KJV
Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea
And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea
And did all eat the same spiritual meat
And did all drink the same spiritual drink for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them and that Rock was Christ.
But with many of them God was not well pleased for they were
overthrown in the wilderness.
Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should
not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them as it is

2007/2/9 13:19Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: The Thorns in Christians Sides

Quote: Paul let a demon return and God didn't answer his prayer.

What does this mean? I'm puzzled by it.

I don't want to put words into your mouth, so please explain to me what this means. Thanks.

2007/2/9 13:48Profile

Re:

Quote:
Paul let a demon return and God did not answer his prayer

I am not sure what this means. I read the chapter regarding Paul's struggle, but nothing to hint the above quote that Paul "allowed a demon to return".

Many think that Paul was struggling with some dreadful sin. My thoughts on this is that this messenger of Satan brought condemnation because he killed Christians before his conversion. Buffeting means "to strike". As Paul was advancing into the things of God this condemnation would come and bring him down. He prayed often that it would be removed, but the LORD said that my strength is made perfect in weakness.

It was the will of God that this messenger be sent to Paul for this very purpose, else Christ would not have said, "My grace is sufficient for you".

2007/2/9 15:57
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: Paul prayed three times

You are welcome Enid
We are all sinners saved by God’s grace even Paul. The Old Testament speaks of thorns in your sides as the enemies of God’s people and Paul’s thorn was messenger of Satan our spiritual enemy. I believe Paul sinned a sin not unto death and I am not saying Paul let sin rule over him but we all sin and come short of the glory of God. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
I quote Paul:
Romans 7: KJV
14. For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
16. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25. I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

I quote Paul: 2 Corinthians 12 KJV
8. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

My core message was after Jesus cast out our devils the kingdom of God came to us and our spirits were made alive and given eternal life but our flesh is still mortal and can suffer from the effects of our sins.

13. There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Is there any of you that never sins?

God’s Grace is sufficient. Eddie

2007/2/9 16:29Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: Change to messenger of Satan

To: Compliments

You are right I should of said messenger of Satan
they are synonymous to me but that is not what it said

Eddie

2007/2/9 17:42Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re:

Compliments wrote
“My thoughts on this is that this messenger of Satan brought condemnation because he killed Christians before his conversion.

I now see your point that Paul remembers his past as we do and it truly is a anguish to my my soul as well.

You are right I should of said messenger of Satan
they are synonymous to me but that is not what it said.
Eddie

2007/2/10 7:13Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy