SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian School or Public School?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

The boat analogy:

Greenhouse analogy:

Someday, when you have kids of your own, and you look in their eyes and you realize that YOU must answer to God for how they are raised... you will probably sing a different tune.

Krispy

Hey Krispy,

I have not heard those analogies before, but they do ring true. Actually, reading your post made me think of myself, when I was young and unlearned...yesterday! Today I am singing a new tune and actually so is my fiancee.

After a day of her saying that public school or christian school would be best, I showed her this thread. Then I asked her five minutes ago how we were going to raise our children to be godly. She mumbled with a smile...homeschooling ;-) .

God Bless those that Listen to New Music,
BrianMira

2007/2/9 19:30
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Krispy...

Quote:
The boat analogy:

When they build a ship... where do they build it? Out in the ocean? No. They build it in the shipyard on dry land. Not until the last rivet is in place, and they know it's waterproof do they launch it into the ocean. The same thing, we believe, is true for children. We don't believe throwing our children to the wolves and calling it a "mission field" is effective. When a missionary goes to a mission field they don't go there to be taught... they go there to teach. Calling a child a missionary and then sending them off to be taught a godless education is backwards.

Herein lies the greatest flaw that I see with the motivation for such things as Christian schools (and sometimes, home schools). We treat the world as "vicious wolves." Christ saw them as "sheep having no shepherd." Yes, there are some ungodly influences in the public schools. But those things exist in all areas LIFE -- and they are not confined to an educational institution.

As a christian young person, I was grateful for parents who decided NOT to confine my education to what they tried to teach me. Both of my parents were highly educated and certainly qualified to teach me in the subjects necessary for college. Yet they respected my relationship with Christ enough to allow me to enter the world -- knowing full well that I would influence rather than be influenced.

Like another poster indicated, my "homeschool education" continued the moment I arrived home from the public school. My parents did their best to equip me to live in this world RATHER THAN remove me or shelter me from it. Every night, my parents questioned us concerning how our day went. They would correct us if something that we learned went against the Word of God (although such instances were rare).

Yes, the public school taught me the theory of evolution. Yes, there were curse words, ungodly conversations and general worldliness in the public school. But I was a light. I maintained a relationship with God that was actually desired by other students. I led several friends to the Lord in the high schools that I attended. I began a Bible Study that was attended by about 100 students and faculty members. I even prayed with some of my teachers.

Several years ago, the church that I attended started a Christian school. As a recent high school graduate, I volunteered to help at the school. I immediately noticed the problems that arose from the educational quality of the school (particularly, the outdated and substandard A.C.E. "School of Tomorrow" curriculum). Some students did their best with the "teach yourself using your workbook at your own pace" philosophy. However, a vast majority of them discovered how to "cheat" without breaking the rules (by memorizing the answers as they scored their own work). While the standardized tests used by the school (the old "California Achievement Tests" that were abandoned and considered untrustworthy by most public and private schools) showed that most of the students were ahead of their age group, subsequent testing of students that reentered public schools revealed that the vast majority were far behind in academic progress.

To its credit, homeschooling typically produces higher ACT and SAT scores compared with students that attended public school. While this is not always the case, it is certainly true as the mean. Unfortunately, there are some colleges that will simply not accept children from homeschools (or non-accredited Christian schools). Many schools will certainly consider admitting such students, but the fact that they "graduated" from a non-accredited school will count against them in the admissions process. As a graduate student, I was on the appeals board for students rejected during the admissions process at the University I attended. Sadly, there were many homeschoolers and Christian schoolers that were initially denied entrance. I usually rallied on their behalf -- as long as their ACT or SAT scores were high enough.

The only reason that I am saying this is to merely provide another side to the public school story. Some Christians kids can and will thrive in a public school environment. I suppose that the parents know their children better than anyone. When undertaking such an important decision, please consider all of the facts -- including the admission standards of the desired colleges and universities, as well as the condition of both the local schools.

I am not married (yet), so I have never had any children. As Krispy stated, my tune might change when I have children of my own. While I doubt that I would consider a Christian school (unless it really impressed me), I would certainly limit my choices to a public school or a homeschool. Yet I am still thankful for both the education that I received in the public schools, as well as the opportunity that I had to let my light shine. I carried that same attitude throughout my University experience.

:-)

2007/2/10 0:33Profile

Re:

Quote:

ccchhhrrriiisss wrote:
We treat the world as "vicious wolves." Christ saw them as "sheep having no shepherd." Yes, there are some ungodly influences in the public schools. But those things exist in all areas LIFE -- and they are not confined to an educational institution.

As a christian young person...

I am not married (yet), so I have never had any children. As Krispy stated, my tune might change when I have children of my own.

...I had to let my light shine. I carried that same attitude throughout my University experience.

:-)

Chris,

I agree that we should not treat all public school students as "vicious wolves", but rather lost sheep with potential. If it were not the case, I would be a wolf (in sheeps clothing), however, like I originally stated, by the grace of God I was born again and became a Christian (almost 10 years after high school).

To me you sound blessed with some intelligence and you were probably an exceptional Christian throughout your public school years, but I do not ever remember ANY Christians speak to me about Jesus.

This could be for two reasons. The first could be that there were not any Christians in my school (although, I know there were), or the second is that the ones who were there had no influence because their 'light' was not shining as bright or where it ought to have.

The only two occasions I recall anything about Christianity in my high school years was when we had a speaker come in who was an older graduate. After graduation he went to jail for ten years and in prison he received Jesus as his saviour.

The other was a grade 12 girl that most guys teased because she had big breasts and had a tendency to 'date' a lot of guys, including myself. She left our school and rumors had it she became a 'born-again' christian. I remember everyone's reaction, including mine. We all thought she was crazy, because we knew no different.

As Krispy hinted with his analogy, children should be equiped and prepared for battle in the world, before we send them out in it. Lately, I have been thinking a lot about this, because I will be getting married in less that three months and will hopefully be working on a family within the near future.

Sending our children out to 'shine' in high school seems to be like putting your unfinished ship into a pond or lake, rather than the ocean fully ready for battle. Public high school students, in themselves, may not be 'vicous wolves', but together in a group of two or more there is a good chance of a wolf pack.

A wolf pack in a small setting can do a lot of damage over a three year period. They may not attach right away or all at once, but, bit by bit, bite by bite, they will sink some ships. And to be a bright shining light in a public high school, does not seem possible with the schools I have experienced.

The point of the thread is to find out if public school is better to educate children than christian school. I feel it has been determined that there may not be much differences in the two. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

As for homeschooling, two days ago I would not have ever considered it, not because I truly felt it was horrible, rather because I knew nothing about that style of teaching. We are given tools by God to help build up our children, so rather than passing them off to someone else to construct, I believe, that any parent with the ability (some circumstances restrict this option) to homeschool would without a doubt insulate, not isolate, a young adult/child to not only be ready for "LIFE" but also be ready for battle.

I have friends in the military (yes, some of the same high school friends that were sinning as bad as me and were just as lost), but thank God the military trains them 'at home' before sending them to Afghanistan or Iraq, especially with the weapons they get to use (God...the things we would do and now they are protecting us...oh dear). They definately need instruction, discipline, and training away from the 'world', so that they are prepared for the 'world'.

We are Christian soldiers (although some people seem to be on leave or have retired or are still trying to get through bootcamp or AWAL... I guess) and we must be prepared. Trying to learn how to use a gun in the middle of battle will get you killed, just like shining your light in a pond. You will get wet and you will be distinguish if you are not careful.

Chris, remember that I believe you are an exception and life is full of them, however, we are talking about choice. Knowing what I know about the world, good and bad, I believe my tune would definately change (not might change) when I have children. Influences play an enormous part in life. If you are surrounded by lost sheep or vicious wolves and you yourself are not acting as the true shepherd, then chances are you will be influenced to some degree.

Most people on this thread, I believe, are just trying to minimize those influences, not block them completely, because that is impossible.

Anyway, God does not care about any specific education. It does not take grades or intelligence to receive Jesus, it takes humility and faith in something bigger than yourself. Public schools do not teach children to be humble or faithful. They teach competition, pride and survival of the fittest.

I am in Korea, where I have never in my life seen more ungodly children who are more concerned about grades than they are about God. Korea has one of the highest suicide rates in the world, because they are selfish and focused on what the government tells them, rather than what the heart screams to them.

Each new class I teach, I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ask who goes to church (I try to be subtle, but I always get my answers), or who is a Christian. ALWAYS one or two little hands hesitantly rise no higher than their shoulders. Is this because they are Korean? I think not. It is hard to express your belief or faith when you are surrounded by the enemy, especially when your ship is not fully ready and still has some holes or final work to be completed.

I hope and pray that my children want nothing and need only Jesus. I also hope they learn this essential truth from an early age, so that they do not stuggle with belief and faith, as I did. Learning from the world will hold children back in ways that a parent cannot reprogram after a conversation over dinner or a late night snack.

God Bless those that shine,
BrianMira

P.S. Keep shining your light, Chris.

2007/2/10 4:16

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy