SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian School or Public School?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Christian School or Public School?

Hello friends,

Simply put, I was wondering which one you would prefer yourself and for what reasons. This could be for your children's education, Christian colleges vs. Public colleges etc.

I'm personally the product of public school, I attended public schools all my life, went to a public university and accepted Christ as a university student.

Now as I work for a Christian non-profit I am interacting with a lot of 'christian schools,' but I'm wondering whether christian schools (besides for training clergy) are even necessary.

2007/2/7 16:59Profile

Re: Christian School or Public School?

I would suggest [b]NEITHER[/b]. Today's Christian Schools have almost just as much of a worldy influence in it as the public schools. Sure, a Christian school gives a Christian world viewpoint in their curriculum. I'm speaking about the other students... and the influence they will have on your children.

I recommend [b]HOMESCHOOLING[/b].

Our oldest is 12 and has never set foot in a school building, and he and his 10 yr old brother both score 2 grades above where they would be if they were in public school on their yearly tests.

And before people claim homeschoolers dont get socialization... try keeping up with my wife for a week. I dare ya! The difference is, we [b]choose[/b] who our kids socialize with.

Krispy

2007/2/7 17:03
preacherafla

Michigan, USA

Yeah Homeschool!!! We homeschool our girls and I would have it no other way. We give them biblical values and teaching. We develop a relationship that is often not seen in other students.
I once heard an evangelist that talked about homeschool as a training grounds to send their children out into the world as missionaries and that his children were homeschooled until they felt they were strong enough to stand on their own and then sent them into the school as a strong witness and missionary.
Yes, homeschool and teach them no compromise!

In His service,
Preacheraflame

2007/2/7 17:10Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi iansmith...

This is a difficult question. Why? Because the answer will vary from person to person in regard to personal experience.

There are many individuals worried about the influences of "the world" upon their children. They try to "save" their kids from such temptations by enrolling them in "spiritual" schools. Unfortunately, the devil is no respecter of institutions. He is just as active in "Christian" schools as he is in "secular" schools. Should children and young adults be sheltered from the world -- or strengthened so that they can walk through the world? Should they be protected so that they will be [u]unaffected[/u] by the world -- or should they be trained to [u]affect[/u] the world as they walk through it?

[b]Elementary and High Schools[/b]

I am not married yet, so I wouldn't even know how to answer about children. My sister has had experience with public schools, private schools, Christian schools and homeschooling. She was concerned with the secular humanism being taught in today's public schools (even in locations like Tennessee and Texas). She immediately enrolled her two little boys into a local Christian school. Unfortunately, this was a DISASTER!

The school (which used both Abeka and the terrible ACE curriculum) was extremely unprofessional, and the educational quality of the children suffered greatly. In fact, only one of the "teachers" actually held a college degree, and some actually were high school dropouts without a GED. The Christian school's standardized test (the very outdated California Achievement Test [CAT]) indicated that they were doing well. However, a more up-to-date test indicated that most of the children were falling far behind in their education. In fact, the high school graduates underperformed drastically on their ACTs and SATs. The average score on the ACT was a 15 (the national average is a 21) and their SAT scores were all extremely low.

My sister then began the process of finding private schools. She enrolled them in the best she could afford. While the quality of education was higher, she still worried about the curriculum and secular methodology of the school.

Eventually, my sister relocated. She enrolled her children in a couple of different Christian schools, but her experience was the same. So she decided to homeschool.

It didn't take my sister long before she realized that homeschooling is a challenge. She tried various curriculum, eventually deciding that Abeka was the strongest. However, she realized rather quickly that homeschooling requires dedication on the part of the parents AND the children. It can become "easy" to put things off. My sister then adopted her husband's nieces (making four total children). My sister found it difficult to "help" all of her children. While it was convenient and a great way to "watch over" her kids, my sister noticed that her children were beginning to lack social interaction. Yes, they fellowshipped with other homeschool children. However, my sister felt that she was placing her kids into a "bubble." She questioned whether or not such "protection" was healthy for their spiritual and intellectual growth. They were, however, performing well in academic areas.

Eventually, my sister decided to enroll the children into public schools. She worried that the physical seperation was not fulfilling any sort of spiritual mandate other than protecting her kids. She now feels that the best thing is to strengthen the kids spiritually, and allow them to be a light to the world. She explains to them that they will hear things, see things, and "learn" things that are contrary to the Word of God. However, she encourages them to seek the face of God on all of these issues -- and to never accept a teacher's word (or the word of a textbook) upon face value.

Her children are doing quite well.

[b]Colleges and Universities[/b]

It is my opinion that the school matters. An education taken at a Christian college or university is probably better geared for a spiritual education (like a ministerial license or denominational ordination). Should a Christian attend a Christian College in order to obtain a "secular" degree? Regardless of how optimistically a school attempts to persuade enrollment, the name of the school matters somewhat when attempting to find a job. I know of several individuals who graduated from a major denominational University with "secular" degrees and have experienced terrible difficulty finding a job in their discipline.

Unless the Christian school has a great academic reputation, I would recommend that a student attend a state or reputable institution. State universities and colleges are typically less expensive and offer financial aid that can cover most, if not all, of the cost. Many states (like Texas) offer automatic grants and scholarships and tuition rebates to academically-strong graduates of public schools. Texas has the "Texas Grant" which pays for much of the tuition and living expenses of public school graduates with a "B" average or higher. These schools are also accredited. This means quite a bit to potential employers.

I suppose that the first thing that a potential college student must do is to choose a major. They must decide upon what type of job or career that they desire -- remembering that some majors limit their ability to find desired employment. How many Theology, Pastoral Studies, or Youth Studies majors do you know with a career outside of the Church? Thus, the student should frugally investigate such matters. Many schools offer statistics of their graduates' employment.

Ultimately, the student should choose a school that will offer the best academic and educational value. While Christian schools seems like a great place to give your children "Christian" things to do and "Christian" friends, some of them are just as "secular" as state schools. Sadly, many of them are not know for their positive academic integrity. One particular Assembly of God school is known for the easy academic requirements of their students. Project and homework deadlines are easily extended, and good grades are "easy" to come by. As an undergrad, several fellow students transferred from that school. They were immediately ill-equipped to handle their courses.

Of course, this sort of discussion is certainly open to opinion. I suggest much study and prayer!

:-)

2007/2/7 17:53Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: I have been to both

I went to both Christian School and Public School.
I had a term at a public school. Even thou I was sceptical I learnt scipture which I didnt know what to do with but I know that i left me in good stead , but just because someone is in a christian school does not mean your children your safe from the dangers of the world.
I went to Public School aswell for a few terms but it got me to love my old school better but it is hard question.
DOm

2007/2/7 19:35Profile
vico

Re:

Amen Krispy!

I'm 18yrs old and I was homeschooled for... well my whole life actually! If given the choice, I wouldn't choose any differently! I thank God that my parents made the choice for homeschooling!

I don't think I would be where I am with God today if it weren't for my parents decision to teach me and my siblings at home.

BTW, if you think that it'll be too much work, talk to my mom, she's currently teaching 5 kids at home, three of us have already graduated (that means that she's been teaching for 16yrs) and the youngest just started school this year (that means she has another 12yrs to go)! God gives grace!

2007/2/7 19:58Profile
Koinonia2

USA

I experienced both Christian and public schools as a youth. My time in the public school system was the most demoralizing period of my life, and my spiritual life suffered greatly due to the over-exposure to anti-Christ teachings, conversations, gossip, friendships, relationships, etc. I say "anti-Christ" very carefully. Many today like to use the term "Godless" to portray the magnitude of the situation, but even that does not go far enough in expressing it.

Personally, I would never choose to send my children to any public school. It puts an unmerited burden on children to expect them to go into hell day in and day out and be a "light of the world" there. No Christian school will be perfect, but with a lot of prayer and due consideration, many provide a good alternative. When the time comes, though, I intend, by God's grace, to homeschool.

2007/2/7 22:34Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Both of my daughters went to Christian school from k - 12 grade. It was the best decision I ever made. The school they went to scored higher than the state on test scores. The teachers were committed to bringing up the children to love God. Their teachers even went to camp and every other function with them because it was more than a job to them. My girls told me they never knew anybody in school who did drugs. It wasn't a small school either.

At times my girls would say they would like to have seen what public school was like, but when my one daughter had my granddaughter reach school age, you guessed it, she didn't want her to go into public school and now she is in sixth grade in an excellent christian school.

I have never regretted for a moment sending them to a place where godly standards were upheld. Also we had to sign released forms stating that they could be spanked it needs be. We did that and were very greatful that discipline was an important part of their education. They were not allowed to get away with disrespect so grew up to be respectful.

I think homeschool can be just as awesome if the parents are disciplined themselves. I have run across a situation where the parents were lax with their childrens education and the kids could barely read.

I would not have put my children in the hands of educators who hand out condems and teach how to have safe sex, or about my two daddies. I have a teenage girl who works for me who was appalled at a book that she called filthy that she is required to read. Even the coaches in this part of the world cuss out their students. No thanks.

I don't put ungodliness in my own brain and I don't put it in my kids either. I know we can't protect them from everything, but it doesn't hurt to do our best. I know if we have to put them in public school because of financial or personal reasons we can committ them into God's keeping and cast all out care on Him. But for me if at all possible I would choose christian school again.

2007/2/7 23:51Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Maybe it's because I was brought up through the public school system -but the way I look at it is that some of the 'Christian school' and 'homeschool' kids I've met over the years are some of the most flakey shallow Christians around. Granted, I've only met a few.

I think I've got a different experience having been involved in a campus ministry on a public university campus where like only 10% of the student body is Christian. When someone experiences God, you can see fireworks!

I don't know, maybe my view of Christian schools has been distorted by a few bad eggs.

2007/2/8 1:34Profile

Re:

Quote:
I think homeschool can be just as awesome if the parents are disciplined themselves. I have run across a situation where the parents were lax with their childrens education and the kids could barely read.

This is true... not all homeschoolers are homeschooling for the right reasons. Not all homeschoolers are Christians. There are good and bad in anything.

But I have found (and there are about 500 homeschoolings families in the county we live in) that the bad ones make up [i]maybe[/i] 2% of homeschoolers. Most we know are extremely dedicated to their children, and the ones who are Christians are sold out to God.

Krispy

2007/2/8 8:13

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy