SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : HOLINESS IS OUR GREAT NEED TODAY by brother Greg

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 HOLINESS IS OUR GREAT NEED TODAY by brother Greg

<a href="https://www.sermonindex.net/images/holinessisourgreat.pdf">[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/holinessisourgreat.gif[/img]</a>

Download this article as a pdf document and freely distribute <a href="https://www.sermonindex.net/images/holinessisourgreat.pdf">here</a>.

[b]Holiness Is Our Great Need Today[/b]
[i]by Greg Gordon[/i]

A message showing the utmost need for holiness today

OPPOSITION TO HOLINESS

I wonder why so many oppose holiness, for they are opposing all things holy. The God we serve is holy, we read His holy Scriptures, we have His holy Spirit, we worship His Holy Son, yet we deny our living holy? Oh what blindness and opposition to the work of grace in our souls. We must deny the commandments of men that desire to bring us under the bondage of sin and not the freedom of holiness. The grace of God leads into holiness and is not to be used as a cover for sin. "Say not," says William Gurnall, "that you have royal blood in your veins, and are born of God, except you can prove your pedigree by daring to be holy." let us strive to be holy! A Holy Church is useful to God and is God’s will and desire. The Scriptures declare in light of the destruction of the world with all the ungodly, the Apostle Peter says: “Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of person ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness.” Jude stated that there were “certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of God into lasciviousness.” In another place God says: “Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. But ye have not so learned Christ.” And it states a few verses later for us to “put on” true holiness. Through every epistle and book in the bible you will find this theme of holiness, do not deny it brother and sister. God is drawing a distinction line and will separate the sheep’s from the goats in the “great day.” Let us be found in Him walking in holiness and loving the commands of God more then the lawlessness of sin in our life's.

SATAN'S MASTERPIECE

John Welsey with a heavy burden shared doctrines and teachings in his day that were pervading across many Churches and lulling many earnest Christians to sleep. Hear the voice of Wesley pleading with you to understand the need for holiness in the Christian life: “Yes, professing Christians invariably invent one way or another to get to heaven without holiness. In the place of holiness, some have substituted penance, pilgrimages, and praying to saints and angels. Thousand of professing Christians have no doubt but that, by a diligent use of these things without any holiness at all they shall see the Lord in glory. However, Protestants will not be satisfied in that manner. They are convinced that whoever leans on such things leans on the staff of a broken reed. Yet, thousands of such Protestants also think that they too will see God without holiness. How? Why, by doing no harm, generally doing good, going to church, and receiving the sacraments. And many thousands are content with this, believing they are on the high road to heaven. Yet, that is not much better than the hopes of the first group. However, other Protestants recognize that such nominal Christianity is not sufficient. They correctly say that such a religion does not stand on the right foundation. However, they go on to say that Christ has already accomplished and suffered everything for us. They say that His righteousness is imputed to us; therefore, we need none of our own. Since there is so much righteousness and holiness in Him, there needs to be none in us. In fact, they claim, that to think we have any holiness, or to desire to seek any holiness, is to renounce Christ. That from the beginning to the end of salvation, all is in Christ, nothing is in man. And that those who teach otherwise are preachers of legalism, and know nothing of the gospel.”

“What evasion! What has Satan done? He has persuaded the very men who receive it to "turn the grace of God into licentiousness" (Jude 4). This is indeed a blow at the root, the root of all holiness, all true religion. The whole design of Christ's death was "to destroy the works of the devil" - 1 John 3:8. But now this is overthrown in one stroke. For wherever this doctrine of easy grace is received, it leaves no place for holiness. It forbids all such exhortations as might excite a desire for holiness. Nay, it makes men afraid of personal holiness, afraid of cherishing any thought of it. For they fear that any step toward holiness might be a denial of the faith, and a rejection of Christ and His righteousness. So that, instead of being "zealous for good works," good works are a stench to their nostrils. In short, they are infinitely more afraid of the works of God, that the works of the devil. Here is Satan's masterpiece! We are to believe that men are holy, without a grain of holiness in them! Holy in Christ, however unholy in themselves. They are supposedly in Christ, although they have not one jot of the mind that was in Christ. They are "complete in Him," although they are as proud, as vain, as covetous, and as lustful as ever. They think they can continue in unrighteousness because Christ has "fulfilled all righteousness.

“I testify unto you, that if you still continue in sin, Christ shall profit you nothing. That Christ is no Savior to you, unless He saves you from your sins. And that unless it purifies your heart, faith shall profit you nothing. Oh, when will you understand, that to oppose either inward or outward holiness, under color of exalting Christ, is directly to act the part of Judas, to "betray the Son of man with a kiss?"

WE MUST BE HOLY!

J.C. Ryle spoke much on the need for holiness in his day. Holiness is not a option but a requirement for heaven and a necessary fruit of salvation. : “Lastly, we must be holy, because without holiness on earth we will never be prepared to enjoy heaven. Heaven is a holy place. The Lord of heaven is a holy Being. The angels are holy creatures. Holiness is written on everything in heaven. The book of Revelation says expressly, "There shall in no wise enter into it anything that defiles, neither whatever works abomination, or makes a lie" (Rev. 21:27). How will we ever be at home and happy in heaven if we die unholy? Death works no change. The grave makes no alteration. Each will rise again with the same character in which he breathed his last. Where will our place be if we are strangers to holiness now? Suppose for a moment that you were allowed to enter heaven without holiness. What would you do? What possible enjoyment could you feel there? To which of all the saints would you join yourself, and by whose side would you sit down? Their pleasures are not your pleasures, their tastes not your tastes, their character not your character. How could you possibly be happy if you had not been holy on earth?”

“Now perhaps you love the company of the light and the careless, the worldly–minded and the covetous, the reveler and the pleasure–seeker, the ungodly and the profane. There will be none such in heaven. Now perhaps you think the saints of God too strict and particular and serious. You rather avoid them. You have no delight in their society. There will be no other company in heaven. Now perhaps you think praying and Scripture reading and hymn singing dull and melancholy and stupid work, a thing to be tolerated now and then, but not enjoyed. You reckon the Sabbath a burden and a weariness; you could not possibly spend more than a small part of it in worshiping God. But remember, heaven is a never–ending Sabbath. The inhabitants thereof rest not day or night, saying, "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty," and singing the praise of the Lamb. How could an unholy man find pleasure in occupation such as this?”
“Do you think that such a one would delight to meet David and Paul and John, after a life spent in doing the very things they spoke against? Would he take sweet counsel with them and find that he and they had much in common? Do you think, above all, that he would rejoice to meet Jesus, the crucified One, face to face, after cleaving to the sins for which He died, after loving His enemies and despising His friends? Would he stand before Him with confidence and join in the cry, "This is our God . . . we have waited for Him, we will be glad and rejoice in His salvation" (Isa. 25:9)? Do you not think rather that the tongue of an unholy man would cleave to the roof of his mouth with shame, and his only desire would be to be cast out? He would feel a stranger in a land he did not know, a black sheep amid Christ’s holy flock. The voice of cherubim and seraphim, the song of angels and archangels, and all the company of heaven would be a language he could not understand. The very air would seem an air he could not breathe. I do not know what others may think, but to me it does seem clear that heaven would be a miserable place to an unholy man. It cannot be otherwise. People may say in a vague way they "hope to go to heaven," but they do not consider what they say. There must be a certain "fitness for the inheritance of the saints in light." Our hearts must be somewhat in tune. To reach the holiday of glory, we must pass through the training school of grace. We must be heavenly–minded and have heavenly tastes in the life that now is, or else we will never find ourselves in heaven in the life to come.”

TO LIVE IN SIN IS HELL

Scripture says: “Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.” Charles Finney shares on the work of Christ and the necessity of being saved from sin: “Christ is chiefly precious because he saves from wrath, much more than because he saves from sin; more because he justifies, than because he sanctifies. Now, rely upon it, that, whenever this is the case, there is a sad defect of character. What is the true spirit of the children of God? Why, it is this,-- they feel as if they must get rid of sin, at any rate. They don't want to be saved in their sins; they feel that to live in their sins is hell enough. They abhor themselves on account of their sins. They must get away from their sins. They would not wish to be saved at all, if they could not be saved from sin. They are ready to say, If the gospel cannot save me from sin, it is a failure, for this is my necessity.” Finney continues on this theme: “Believer in Christ, the Lord hath set you apart for himself, separated you from the rest of the world; but you are only set apart as "holiness to the Lord:" this must be written plainly upon you; and if the Lord has written his name upon you you are safe, not else.” The Apostle Paul stated: “Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.” But alas how many Christians interpret these things in the spirit of how far I can go in sin without “practicing” it. In light of the things written and quoted in this article I plead with you Christian reader to understand and walk in “true holiness” for then shall we fully receive the grace and salvation Christ came to offer to us.

2007/2/6 21:58Profile
preacherafla

Michigan, USA

Re: HOLINESS IS OUR GREAT NEED TODAY by Greg Gordon

Amen!!! The church once again needs to put a premium on holiness. The church doesn't look like her picture in the Bible. A couple months back there was a poem written here: The church walking with the world" It helps us to see how far we have come. Oh God, Make us HOLY!!!

Preacheraflame

2007/2/7 1:43Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I responsed to some questions that came up in response to this article:

Quote:
Isn't "holiness" being devoted or set apart for the Lord?

no. It's Christ like living. Holy living.

Quote:
Aren't Christians set apart from all others by our love for one another and for God?

no. Christians are set apart from sin. Thats is what makes us different thent he world that serves sin as their master. We are called to walk Holy, apart from sin.

Quote:
Isn't love the identifying mark for true believers?

no. the identifying mark for believers is walking in the reality of the freedom of sin that we have been given. True love is sacrifical and gives up for the other. Selfish is the opposite of true love (agape) which is sin. Love is not a feeling but a "act".

Quote:
Can we say that a life of true love (agape) is a life of holiness?

no. Only if that "true love" (agape) keeps you from sin. The live that is godly and holy that God has saved us to walks free from sin. It does not matter how many times you use the word "love" or discuss it as a principle it is not a excuse to sin. Even though "love" is told to cover a multitude of sins.

Quote:
Don't we love God because we know He first loved us?

yes. But our response to God must be in accordance with the word of God. Turn to any epistle and see the principle of "sin" and "damnation" and also see the principles of living "holy" and keeping God's "commands" and then turn and see the God that is worthy of "worship" and "glory" alone. And then turn and see that He is a God that "loves" us and has "mercy" and then turn and see that He is a God of "judgement" and "wrath" when people don't accept His mercy. We cannot simplify the whole gospel message down to "God loves you" the simplicity of the gospel of Jesus Christ is that He died for our sins so that we can be freed from them and live in a way that pleases God and bears witness to the world.

Quote:
Isn't the greatest encouragement to holiness to know how much God loves us?

no. The greatest encouragement to Holiness is to realize the death of Jesus Christ on the cross bearing our sins. And that to "willfully" sin afterwards is to put Christ back on the cross. We need to fear God and keep His commandments. Living holy is something every true Christian will want to do. The only excuse from many Christians is that it is impossible to live free from some sin, or even worse that some sins are too precious and idols in a Christians live to give them up so they kick against the pricks with holiness.

WE need to simply ask ourselves what is hindering me from living holy and if there are sins and lacks in my Christian life why not pray and aim towards conquering these by the power of the Holy Spirit. God desires for us to walk more holy and Christ like every day. What hinders you?

2007/2/7 3:24Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

the only thing that can overcome the forces o evil is a force of righteousness, we need to be a holy people, God uses men and women, holy men and woman, God only has one class of people, ...and unless we are holy, how do we surly know we are saved?
it is a big lie today that we can live a unholy worldly life and still get to heaven somehow, it is impossible...we need to be and must be holy, its not an option its a requirement.

2007/2/7 7:35Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Quote:
Heaven is a holy place. The Lord of heaven is a holy Being. The angels are holy creatures. Holiness is written on everything in heaven.

Amen

Quote:
How will we ever be at home and happy in heaven if we die unholy?

Amen, brother how true.

God bless

TJ

2007/2/7 8:51Profile
roadsign

Re:

Great topic, Greg! And needed! Sadly, in our church culture the theme of holiness tends to slip into the shadows while more appealing themes take precedence.

The challenge with this topic, like any topic really, is to keep it in balance with the rest of Biblical truths. I think that the reason the Holiness Movement went off the rails was because its promoters failed to maintain the full counsel of the Word. That’s why it fell headlong into the death trap of legalism – I mean, reliance on the flesh as the means of achieving holiness.

We read in Titus: “You must teach what is in accord with sound doctrine.” 2:1 The Greek work for sound implies the idea of healthy and whole.” One of the indications that the Holiness Movement had departed from SOUND doctrine was the evidence of unhealthy, un-whole people. Consider these thoughts:

Harry Ironside (1876-1951), an itinerant preacher and author, shared in his biography, his experience in the Holiness Movement during the early twentieth century. Early in his ministry, he zealously promoted holiness teachings, and was eager to achieve this high level of perfection. However, he soon came to see that the teachings had some negative effects on people. He wrote: "It left a tremendous train of spiritual derelicts" Pg 89 , A Biography, H A Ironside. Ironside saw disillusioned failures, emotional wrecks, and people who abandoned the faith entirely because they felt that they could never measure up. He also saw many "living in cunningly concealed hypocrisy", trying to hide the fact that they were falling short. DE

Greg, I have discovered over the years that whenever I engage in topical study, I find myself cheering for THAT concept - whichever one I was studying. I would get so zealous for that concept that I found myself thinking, Why this is it! This is what’s most important! It’s the fear of God…. Or it’s grace…. Or its judgment…. or it’s the Spirit…” you name it…. Get my drift?

Greg, I believe that you can keep this magnificent theme of holiness from derailing by respecting the need to set it into the whole counsel of God, and being sensitive to those voices who are tugging you towards balance. Then you will maintain sound teaching – that is, healthy and whole doctrine. And that will produce well-balanced people, strong in the Lord, as opposed to emotional wrecks and self-righteous hypocrites.

Some thoughts to ponder: How does the theme of holiness integrate with these teachings:

“The greatest of these is love”
“His grace is sufficient…’
“I desire to know nothing except Christ, and him crucified…”
“Christ is all in all.. “
“Live by the Spirit and you will not gratify the desires of the sin nature”
etc.

I'll bet you'd enjoy the approach Jerry Bridges takes to this subject in his book "The Pursuit of Holiness" In my opinion, he keeps it on track. He encourages me towards holiness in my own life - and helps me see that it's not merely of me, but of Christ in me.

Diane

2007/2/7 10:25Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Some more responses to the article:

Quote:
“Lastly, we must be holy, because without holiness on earth we will never be prepared to enjoy heaven..."

This is a great statement. This is not about whether someone will let us into Heaven, it is about if we would even like being there.

"What is the true spirit of the children of God?"

"They...feel that to live in their sins is hell enough."

"Isn't the greatest encouragement to holiness to know how much God loves us?" I do believe so, quietwitness. And, as you have reminded us:

The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Quote:
Quietwitness Quote:

Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

I would say to also add the first and greatest commandment:

"Love the Lord your God with All you heart'

and if you obey the first and greatest commandment - then you will be able to obey the second commandment simular to the first - to love your neighbor as yourself.

Yes they will know us by our love - the word of God absolutely states that - but love is the manifestation of obedience to God and obedience to the two great commands of Christ and therefore would fall into the statements of:

Quote:
Can we say that a life of true love (agape) is a life of holiness?

1. no. Only if that "true love" (agape) keeps you from sin. The live that is godly and holy that God has saved us to walks free from sin.

2. the identifying mark for believers is walking in the reality of the freedom of sin that we have been given.

I think the best way to describe this is the scripture that says:

IF WE "LOVE" HIM - WE WILL OBEY HIM.

Yes Quietwitness - I agree - that love is the greatest of the fruit that the true believer exersizes and I see a lot of that in you - a wonderful peacemaker.

Yet I believe - true love is obedience to God.

Tedelmpro Quote - boy this I will plant deep within my heart.

For we are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people... Whatever is used by God must be holy. The angels are holy, God is holy, the saints in heaven are holy. We must be holy otherwise nothing that is not holy can survive in the presence of God.

God cannot Tabernacle with sin - For He is Holy.

Therefore to be holy and to tabernacle with God - we must sever all flesh and live holy without sin.

God Bless, Lynn

2007/2/7 14:01Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
For we are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people...nothing that is not holy can survive in the presence of God.

What is the true spirit of the children of God?

They would not wish to be saved at all, if they could not be saved from sin.

But alas how many Christians interpret these things in the spirit of how far I can go in sin without “practicing” it.

2007/2/7 19:24Profile
jostertag

Greg, I really enjoyed this article...the qoutes by Gurnall, Wesley, and Rylie were phenomenal - I'm a Kids Pastor so I don't get to "sit-under" any Biblical teaching other than what I read - this was very refreshing! Thanks!

Roadsign,
I also enjoyed reading the insight that you shared as well - definitely in an exhortive tone - thanks for that. jerry Bridges book the "Pursuit of Holiness" was also very challenging and insightful - I was surprised it was as sound as it was. Thanks for throwing a good resource out there for everyone to keep growing.

Be blessed brothers (and sisters)!

2007/5/22 16:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy