SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Let Me See Thy Face and Die

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ProveAllThin

Let Me See Thy Face and Die

Lately I have been listening to the hymn "Let me see thy Face and Die" written by John Wesley and performed by Christ our Life(see below for link to the song).

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=9196&commentView=itemComments]Let me see thy Face and Die - Christ Our Life[/url]

And this thought keeps coming to my mind. Was Wesley speaking of seeing God here and now leading to a death to self for consecrated service to the Lord, sanctification? Or was he merely speaking words of his longing to be in heaven and behold God in all His glory. As I recall many of the great saints of old had a vision of the Diety; Paul, John Wesley Redfield, AW Tozer. Just a thought, what do you think.

By the way, tis a wonderful song.

2007/2/6 15:08Profile
ProveAllThin

Re: Let Me See Thy Face and Die

Here are the Lyrics:

TO thee, great God of love! I bow, And prostrate in thy sight adore; By faith I see thee passing now; I have, but still I ask for more, A glimpse of love cannot suffice, My soul for all thy presence cries. 2 I cannot see thy face, and live, Then let me see thy face, and die! Now, Lord, my gasping spirit receive, Give me on eagles' wings to fly, With eagles' eyes on thee to gaze, And plunge into the glorious blaze. 3 The fulness of my vast reward A blest eternity shall be; But hast thou not on earth prepared Some better thing than this for me? What, but one drop! one transient sight! I want a sun, a sea of light. 4 Moses thy backward parts might view, But not a perfect sight obtain; The Gospel doth thy fulness show To us, by the commandment slain; The dead to sin shall find the grace, The pure in heart shall see thy face. 5 More favoured than the saints of old, Who now by faith approach to thee Shall all with open face behold In Christ the glorious

2007/2/6 15:09Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
speaking words of his longing to be in heaven and behold God in all His glory

I've always interpreted it to mean "let me see thy face and (physically) die."

2007/2/6 15:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy