SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Myles Munroe

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
MSeaman

Michigan

Myles Munroe

Has anyone ever heard of Myles Munroe? he has written some books about the kingdom of God...he sounds kind of like a dominionist to me, but I would like to know if anyone has actually read anything by him. A lady I know recommended one of his books to me, but I'm not sure. any input would be greatly appreciated!

2007/2/5 11:54Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re: Myles Munroe

hey sis
i've heard of him and have yet to read anything from him. i've seen him talk about Kingdom Principles and it is very interesting the perspective he has about what the kingdom of God is. Having been brought up in the Bahamas which was a British colony, it seems our Lord used that experience to show him what a kingdom is and how it functions. i grew up in Zimbabwe which was a British colony but by then it was an independant nation. anyhow those of us who grew up in democracies often don't have a good view of what a kingdom is and how it functions. We are servants of the Kingdom of God and as such our job is to bring the Kingdom of God on earth by seeking His will to be done on earth as it is in heaven. Obviously that will affect the world we live in in many ways but surely we ought not sit and watch and do nothing. as we go forth with the gospel, the world will be affected. i'm looking forward to reading Kingdom Principles as our Lord leads.

it may be our Lord would like you to read it also. See what He says do and do it.

God bless you sis

2007/2/5 12:44Profile
Provost

Re:

He's a false teacher and if he is not all the teachings I have ever heard come out of his mouth in the name of Jesus and under the influence of the "Spirit" has been false. He preaches a completely man-centered gospel (which the Holy Spirit will have no part in) and I have seen him on TV prophesyin money b/c God gave him that "annointing"...nowhere in Scripture. He may be a swell and even educated guy, but his teaching is not Holy Spirit inspired b/c his "gospel" teaching is too man-centered to come from someone who truly has a heart burning for Jesus Christ.
Here are a couple of stupid "inspired" quotes (Compare to scriptures and you will see this nowhere)

Myles Munroe: "That's why angel's need our permission to function. It says they are here to do our bidding. They can't even act without our permission, you see. (But, here's the bigger statement:) Even God Himself is illegal on earth. Why? Because, He is a spirit and the law He set up by His own mouth was that only spirits with bodies can function on earth legally.

Myles Munroe
"Let me define prayer for you in this show. Prayer is man giving God permission or license to interfere in earth's affairs. In other words, prayer is earthly license for heavenly interference."

Myles Munroe
"Heaven depends on earth for interference. If He [God] could just find two people like you [Benny Hinn] and I to agree. We agree for God to do this thing. Then God says, 'Thank you very much for permission!'

Myles Munroe
"Our prayer is a strange experience. We normally ask God to do things, God is telling us to command Him permission to do it for us."

2007/2/5 13:25Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Having been brought up in the Bahamas which was a British colony, it seems our Lord used that experience to show him what a kingdom is and how it functions. i grew up in Zimbabwe which was a British colony but by then it was an independant nation.

How old is he? The Bahamas became an independent nation in 1973 and Zimbabwe in 1980. Britain and its dominions never operated as a true kingdom from the 17th century or earlier.

2007/2/5 16:03Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

bro Ron

Quote:
How old is he? The Bahamas became an independent nation in 1973 and Zimbabwe in 1980. Britain and its dominions never operated as a true kingdom from the 17th century or earlier.

probably in his late 40s or 50s or so. for me in learning a bit about the history of the U.K. growing up, it is interesting to see how that kingdom functioned vs how democracy functions. some of the concepts i heard him speak about were very interesting and give a different view of the Kingdom of God as than some people probably had.

edit

some of the things he mentioned made sense to me (then again i'm not the brightest of the bunch) for example, the servants of the kingdom as the go to a colony are there to bring that kingdom to the colony. for example before the British came along, we in zimbabwe didn't drink tea, dress in suits or speak English, but then that changed. we being servants of the Most High have that responsibilty by spreading the gospel and discipling. i guess to me that is the big thing, the changing of people. Britain may not have behaved like a true kingdom (whatever that means) from the 17th century or earlier, however they certainly did influence every part of the world they were in, in very profound ways. in this regard i agree with Myles Munroe, as servants of the King, we should indeed influence the people around us in the way God would have us do.

2007/2/5 22:40Profile
IRONMAN

just asking

bro Provost

Quote:
He's a false teacher and if he is not all the teachings I have ever heard come out of his mouth in the name of Jesus and under the influence of the "Spirit" has been false. He preaches a completely man-centered gospel (which the Holy Spirit will have no part in) and I have seen him on TV prophesyin money b/c God gave him that "annointing"...nowhere in Scripture. He may be a swell and even educated guy, but his teaching is not Holy Spirit inspired b/c his "gospel" teaching is too man-centered to come from someone who truly has a heart burning for Jesus Christ.

an interesting perspective. how is his "gospel" "man centred?"

Quote:
Myles Munroe: "That's why angel's need our permission to function. It says they are here to do our bidding. They can't even act without our permission, you see. (But, here's the bigger statement:) Even God Himself is illegal on earth. Why? Because, He is a spirit and the law He set up by His own mouth was that only spirits with bodies can function on earth legally.

so how does God work on earth now?

Quote:
Myles MunroeLet me define prayer for you in this show. Prayer is man giving God permission or license to interfere in earth's affairs. In other words, prayer is earthly license for heavenly interference."

if we don't pray, what happens?

Quote:
"Heaven depends on earth for interference. If He [God] could just find two people like you [Benny Hinn] and I to agree. We agree for God to do this thing. Then God says, 'Thank you very much for permission!'

if God has in mind to do something through you, could He do it without your compliance?

Quote:
Our prayer is a strange experience. We normally ask God to do things, God is telling us to command Him permission to do it for us."

if God wants His will done here, should we not line up with what He wants to do? can He do this without our compliance?

2007/2/5 23:08Profile
Hydrated

Re: Myles Munroe

I think this is a case where we need sound judgment and good biblical discernment.

From what I know, Myles seems to misunderstand the distinction between the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Heaven... and the fact that many of the things promised to those in the Kingdom of God are for a later time, after the resurrection of the saints. Remember that the Kingdom of God is not about food and drink, but about righteousness, peace and joy, in the holy ghost.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Myles teaches that our place in God's Kingdom gives us rights here on earth to be movers and shakers. But in relation to the here and now, the Kingdom of God is invisible, it is the spiritual place we enter in submission to the King to surrender our will and submit ourselves to His will. We learn servitude... not to reign at this time. The Kingdom resides within the heart and soul of true believers. In the present tense, it is not a Kingdom of Dominant kings, but of humble and meek servants. "The meek SHALL inherit the earth" at a later time, after Christ returns.

Remember that Christ did not come to conquere the Romans, but to conquere sin on our behalf. He says to us, "follow my example..."

The New Testament model in this Kingdom for the church on earth is to follow the example of Christ and to suffer for his namesake. As Christians, we have not been called to dominate society and claim it all with arrogant decrees, but to take up our cross and proclaim the gospel. I suspect that Myles Monroe teaching caters more to those who want power and authority rather than servitude and suffering.

From what I've seen and heard, it's about claiming things and taking things and demanding for things to happen in society that will bring about change and righteousness in the world. But changing society and politics is not what Christ came to do. We should be focusing on the Great Commission, not changing the world.

In relation to our heavenly reward, our objective is not to TAKE dominon of the earth but to look forward to the blessed hope which is the ressurrection of the saints and dwelling with the Lord. It's not until we get to heaven that there will be no more tears, pain, sorrow, etc... We don't use the law to enforce righteousness on society, but as a schoolmaster to show them their need for Christ. We're supposed to be humble servants, not proud possessors. In this church age, Christians are persecuted, put to death, or maligned for their beliefs and lifestyle. The Bible does not support a time when the church will dominate government and society before Christ's return. These claims are in complete opposition to end time prophecy.

One thing Myles says that I do agree with is that we need to realize we are occupants of a Kingdom, not members of a religion. However, I do suspect it is very close, if not complete Dominion theology.

2007/2/5 23:09Profile

Re:

I have read the first couple of chapters of his book, "Understanding the Purpose and Power of Prayer." I didn't get far enough into it to be able to make any solid conclusions though.

In the beginning of the book, he drew highly on the verse in Genesis when God said, "Let man rule over all the earth." He argues that since we were given rule and authority over the earth, we must in effect give permission to God through prayer to intervene. That is, he cannot intervene unless we are in agreement with him in prayer. Thus, humans partnership with God is essential for the completion of his purpose.

Examples of this would be how God would look for just 1 intercessor (in Isaiah) , but none could be found, so he wouldn't move.

Not sure how I feel about this theology, or if I would take it as far as he did. Almost seems like it robs God of his sovereignty. It was interesting to read though.

2007/2/6 2:49
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
it is interesting to see how that kingdom functioned vs how democracy functions. some of the concepts i heard him speak about were very interesting and give a different view of the Kingdom of God as than some people probably had.

The UK is not really a kingdom and hasn't been for centuries. It is a democracy with a constitutional monarchy. That means our queen reigns but does not rule; it is really a pseudo-kingdom.

2007/2/6 6:58Profile
Provost

Re: IRONMAN

Hey Ironman

First I want to say that I recently got out of a church that taught crazy authority, dominion, commanding God, and so forth. It's is nuts and a truly warped theology. The only verse that I could get out of the members of the church, that we could command God was Isaiah 45:11..and in this verse God is disgusted with Israel that they are trying to tell Him what to do(not to mention those verses were for the Jews not the Christian church). But the church ran like they had scissors with the fact that God says "command ye me"

Okay Myles Munroes "man-centered gospel"
Every time I have ever heard Myles speak (10 or so times) the only time Jesus is mentioned is "in Jesus name". He gets loud and excited about whatever worldly issue he is preaching on, but loud and excited is not the annointing (it can be, but an emotional show during a sermon can never be the sign that someone's annointed. The clear exaltation of Christ is the sign of the annointing)
I guess reading what I typed could be very subjective. This is what I would challenge any Christian to do with Dr. Munroe (or any teacher for that fact). Read a Chapter of his books and compare it to Scripture. Would Paul have approved of his writings/teachings? I took the teachings I was taught at my past church (we used to watch Dr. Munroe tapes as well) to the Bible and they never lined up with the totality of Scripture. They could point to a verse or two..but never did it line up with the Truth. And I never heard Myles Munroe say anything that exalted Christ in the same manner that the Apostle Paul was in chains for.

2nd... All the prayer questions... A thought that made me think that "God couldn't do anything unless He was commanded" was stupid was this. God is the only one who can justly judge. God is the one who can pour out wrath. God is also the one who holds the entire order of the world. So here's the thought...If God needs to be commanded then someone needed to command God to produce Hurrican Katrina. If Katrina was a human's idea that person would be sick! God in no way needs to be commanded. This cannot be found in the Bible and can be found nowhere in the history of the church. Thanx Ironman for listening and God Bless

Hebrews 1:3The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

Colossians 1:17He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

2007/2/6 9:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy