SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Your favorite book(s): suggested reading.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee
Why Revival Tarries by Leonard Ravenhill
The Complete Works of E. M. Bounds On Prayer
My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers

And i have been reading a book (sent to me by a brother from SI) by V. Raymond Edman called "They Found the Secret". It's a compilation of short biographies of men and women of God who lived a life hidden in Christ. It has been a blessing.

2007/2/5 21:10Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Your favorite book(s): suggested reading.

Why Revival Tarries - Leonard Ravenhill - A book about prayer, preaching, and revival.

The Cross and the Switchblade - David Wilkerson. - A testimony to the power of the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and the founding of the "Teen Challenge" program beginning in New York.

Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire - Jim Cymbala (all 3 books in the series) - The need for us as a church to get back to the basics.

Apostolic Foundations - Art Katz - This book is about living out the realities of our faith in a way that can be called "apostolic."

Road to Reality - K. P. Yohannan - A book that will cause you to live your life with your eyes on eternity. It's ultimately a call to live a more simple life.

No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green - Melody Green. It's an amazing thing what God can do in such a short time through one man. Some have called Keith Green "John the Baptist on a Piano."

The Charismatic Theology of St. Luke - Roger Stronstad - The greatest scholarly defense ever put forth concerning the baptism of the Holy Spirit being essentially a post-conversion experience.

Selling out the Church - Philip D. Kenneson - A book that absolutely shatters the buyer/consumer mentality of the way we do church.

Life on the Vine - Philip D. Kenneson - A very close examination of the fruit of the Spirit as outlined in Galatians 5, and it's practical application.

The Open Church - James Rutz - Examines how the early church met in the Scriptures, namely, in an open participatory meeting where everybody could contribute. Also examines some churches (even large ones) that meet in this format today. A bit cheesy sometimes in writing style, but still a valuable read.

The Sermons of John Wesley - You can find these online or in various volumes that have been compiled. They are well worth a series read.

Also, for commentaries I generally recommend volumes from the series, The New International Commentaries (NICOT and NICNT respectively for each testament).

I've read many other good books, but these are by far the one's that stick out most in my mind.

2007/2/5 23:42Profile
strawrifle

uk

Hi, mine would be Run baby Run By Nicky Cruz & Jamie Buckingham..

Nicky was the gang leader in NY that David Wilkerson led to Jesus (sure u know)..I still remember the first time i read it 25 years ago, it led me to God!!

Jamie wrote this beautifully..

andy

2007/2/6 0:30Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Warning!

Warning! Reading any of these books will change your life!

[b]Through the Gates of Splendor [/b]– Elizabeth Elliot
The true story of five missionaries who paid the ultimate price to proclaim Jesus’ name to the ends of the earth.

[b]God’s Smuggler [/b]– Brother Andrew
A man who learned the boldness that comes with being a disciple of Christ, and experiencing first hand that Jesus opens doors!

[b]The Hiding Place[/b] – Corrie Ten Boom
The true story of the ultimate forgiveness only found in Jesus manifested and displayed in the most unforgivable situation.

[b]No Compromise[/b] – Melody Green
The true story of one man, sold out for Jesus, and seven years to share it with as many people as possible.

[b]The Heavenly Man[/b] – Brother Yun
The true story of a Chinese house church leader who spent almost as much time in prison as he did as an itinerant preacher and his vision for the future of China.

[b]Revolution in World Missions[/b] – KP Yohannan
A heartbreaking view of the lost! See how you can get involved in being the hands and feet of Jesus in the 10-40 window! [Get this book FREE at [url=http://www.gfa.org]www.gfa.org[/url]]

[b]The Cost of Discipleship[/b] – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
How much did the grace which we have received cost –everything!

[b]Why Revival Tarries[/b] – Leonard Ravenhill
A heartbreaking call to true worship and repentance before the cross of Jesus.

[b]The Promise of the Spirit[/b] – Charles Finney
God’s got some promises for you! Learn about them! [You can also read the lectures by Chuck in the original wording and context [url=http://www.gospeltruth.net/1839OE/index39.htm]here[/url].]

I actually wrote out a longer list with more detailed descriptions, but my computer went *zap* and it disapeared... I tried my best to redo it. Hope you find this encouraging!

2007/2/6 2:26Profile
preacherafla

Michigan, USA

I love reading old holiness books and the authors are many. A couple of my favorite books are:
1) The Christian in Complete Armour by William Gurnall

2) Why Revival Tarries by Leonard Ravenhill

3) Revival Praying by Leonard Ravenhill

4) Purity of Heart by William Booth

5) W B Godbey wrote a commentary on the New Testametn that is really good

6) Holiness Teachings by B T Roberts

7) The Acceptable Sacrafice by John Bunyon

8) Books by J C Ryle

Lighter but good teaching:

9) Railroad Sermons from Railroad Stories by
J M Humphrey

10) Books by Bud Robinson

There are many others and these are not in any particular order but it's food for thought.

Thanks,
In His service,
Preacheraflame
Actually "Preacher Aflame" is another good book by Donald Demaray :)

2007/2/7 1:17Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

This first book of John otherwise known as 1John.
Its quite cheap to find, You can find it in any bible, The kjv ones are good because they dont remove the name of Jesus. Sorry i am not being sarcastic. The book of 1John in the bible is the best thing ever to read. :-)

2007/2/7 2:32Profile
HisPrincess

Goulburn, NSW, Australia

For all the ladies...

'Captivating' by John & Stasi Eldredge is an excellent read, giving you freedom to be as God created you to be, in a world where women are often crushed.

2007/2/7 4:59Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to this thread.

Now for the hard part of picking just a few.

Thanks again

God Bless

TJ

2007/2/12 18:02Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

One of the ones i suggested is free... that's a good place to start =p

2007/2/12 18:05Profile
JennRich

Alabama

Re: