SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Titheing and money matters and giving

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Delboy

Worthing UK

Titheing and money matters and giving

Iwant to pose the theme of our giving to God as believers and what it entails.Having to raise the question of GIVING in a sermon and what to emphasise, money,time,commitment etc (although not in any order of preference)can be difficult.Especially to us Brits!
I dont want the thread to go along the Faith prosperity error,but any sound advice will be advantageous
Looking ahead & Up
Derek

2004/3/2 15:40Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Titheing and money matters and giving

My church used the parable of the strewd manager (Luke 16:1-14) this past Lord's day. The main point was that however we invest God's gift to us will have eternal consequences. Do we have many friends to welcome us in the eternal dwellings?

Also 2 Cor 8:6-15. Whatever we have belongs to God, because we are the sower yet God is the one who supplies the seeds. God has bestowed his gifts on us so that we may become cheerful giver-- Whatever we have is not ours, we are but stewards of God's gifts, and should use them for Kingdom purpose.

God is the source of all things; he has no lack at all. Therefore, God does not need our donation. Nor does his church need to beg for money. The act of giving is simply a reflection of our hearts towards God in a tangible way. By giving, we are not doing a favour to God or his servants; contrarily, it is a privilege and honour to us that God is willing to accept our very small gift of love.

2004/3/3 10:14Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re:

Quote:
God does not need our donation. Nor does his church need to beg for money. The act of giving is simply a reflection of our hearts towards God in a tangible way. By giving, we are not doing a favour to God or his servants; contrarily, it is a privilege and honour to us that God is willing to accept our very small gift of

Thanks agent001 this is a great help,sadly though not all are of the above disposition what is the best way of encouraging folk to be natural givers? ;-)
looking ahead & up
delboy

2004/3/3 14:12Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

I understand what you are saying.

Maybe you could teach from scripture what it means to give--as a token of love, not a favour done to a charity--and let God do the job of moving the hearts of the congregation? Or did I miss your point?

I see you are from the UK. I really admire the faith of Hudson Taylor and George Mueller. Their reliance upon the Lord had always been a great encouragement to me.

2004/3/4 13:45Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re:

Yes I think you are right,I'm going to speak along the line of Love
out of the abundance of the heart... and, the witness of the Spirit, confirming we are truly sons of God.Of course George mueller new in such a practical way his Farthers provision.Yes there are a great cloud of witnesses to draw inspiration from
looking ahead & Up
Delboy

2004/3/4 17:14Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Delboy,

I hope your sermon went well. May God bless you as you faithfully serve him.

Sam

2004/3/8 14:09Profile
seekinggod

Fond du Lac, WI

Re: Titheing and money matters and giving

I can only comment on the one thing God has spoken to me about:

The earthly church is not God. When a pastor pushes for 10%, don't feel compelled. If we are in Christ, God will guide us as to where His money should go.

It may be to church, or it may be elsewhere.

God first, church second.

When we are abiding in Christ, His will flows from us. This may not be where we think it is.

2004/3/19 16:29Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

The Old Testament method of giving was 10% of all you had, the New Testament method of giving is 100% of all you have.
-D.L. Moody [i](I paraphrased this one, cant recall the actual wording).[/i]

The bible says we are not our own but we have been bought with a price therefore honour God with your body. I think this applies not only to our physical body but to everything we do and own, they are from Him and we are caretakers of what He entrusts us with. I believe I have been entrusted with this website ministry and I have to prove faithful in using it to bring glory to Jesus Christ.

In the Sermon [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=3188]Thundering In Nashville [/url], Andrew Strom stated at one point: "Is America serving God or Mammon?" He repeats the question twice until the audience follows suit, then he pointly says: "Are you serving God or Mammon?" It hit me quite hard, not only the forcefulness of the words but the Spirit behind them! Us in North America have abused what God has given us, we are so ladden with [b]things[/b] as the Lacodien church was! We need holy eye salve so we can see our true spiritual condition and all the mammon we are holding onto so tightly will be let go off for God's glory.

2004/3/19 18:04Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re:

dear brother,press on with this and be faithful

Quote:
The bible says we are not our own but we have been bought with a price therefore honour God with your body. I think this applies not only to our physical body but to everything we do and own, they are from Him and we are caretakers of what He entrusts us with. I believe I have been entrusted with this website ministry and I have to prove faithful in using it to bring glory to Jesus Christ.

You have answered well bless you :-D

2004/3/19 18:31Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re:

Amen to your post seekinggod,and welcome to the community!

2004/3/19 18:33Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy