SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Don't read if you're eating!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Was waiting for this:

Quote:
I have a desire to depart and to be with Christ which is far better." Not that we are fatalistic in our thinking; but to what extent will a person go to save their life in a tribulation type situation.

It is only the fear of death that could cause someone to go to such an extreme.

Here is another to consider:

[i]"1Ki 17:12 And she said, As the LORD thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die."[/i]

2004/3/5 11:38Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

God have mercy on us all!

2004/3/5 14:25Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Hi Agent001, I am calm, you don't spend 3 years on beliefnet.com without learning to remain calm with people!

Regarding your post, do you believe these instances of "cannibalism" refer to a person killing another person in order to eat them, or do you believe it refers to the person already dying of "natural" causes and then they eat them?

2004/3/8 7:43Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
you don't spend 3 years on beliefnet.com without learning to remain calm with people!

Nasher, bless you, it takes a special work of the Lord to engage in that battlefield, I had to be moved to a desk job ;-)

2004/3/8 10:25Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Nasher,

Perhaps I should ask what the real question is again as to not misunderstand you and we talk past each other. It seems to me that you want definitive evidence against cannibalism.

I am most troubled by one comment you made earlier:

God has not revealed to me that it is wrong.

Do I understand that correctly?

-Robert

2004/3/8 10:54Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Robert, I refer you back to my original post:

In the film "Alive" the passengers that survived had to eat the dead passengers to survive.

Is this wrong?

Since we are in the scriptural debates forum I would suggest any argument for or against must come from the bible.

2004/3/8 11:06Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Nasher,

I believe we are in danger of displeasing the Lord to continue on with strifes of words to no profit (I Timothy 6).

I Corinthians 11:14 Paul tells us that there are some things that nature itself teaches us (in this case about hair). I will not withdraw my comments concerning the laws of God written on our hearts, I will STRESS them (Jeremiah 31:33), because that is a major part of the covenant we are under and there are certain things that are universally KNOWN (Romans 1:19-32). Ask 10 Christian people you know and then see their reaction. I have done this and everyone is in utter DISBELIEF (to say the very least).

Lets follow this out logically based upon what God HAS revealed-- If it is unlawful to defile your bodies among yourselves-- how could it be possible to believe God would allow eating of human flesh?

Send Hank an email at equip.org and see what he says. I'll be interested to know.

This was my last post in this debate.

-Robert

2004/3/8 12:18Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Nasher,

Quote:
Hi Agent001, I am calm, you don't spend 3 years on beliefnet.com without learning to remain calm with people!

I shall speak the truth in love: I do find a lack of grace and respect in some of your postings.
Quote:
Regarding your post, do you believe these instances of "cannibalism" refer to a person killing another person in order to eat them, or do you believe it refers to the person already dying of "natural" causes and then they eat them?

Some instances indicate that the former is in view. In some other ones, it could well be either one. Regardless, the idea of having to eat human flesh in all of these references (see my earlier post) were abhorred by the authors. Having to resort to such acts was considered a judgement from God.

On another note, tobacco was never prohibited in Scripture, but that does not mean it is right. The Bible is not an ethical code book that covers all cases of ethical choices.

In the hypothetical situation described in your first post, I do think the extreme situation might call for such an extreme choice. However, if my grandma die in my home today, I do not think it is right (nor respectful) to treat myself to her flesh for dinner. :)

2004/3/8 14:04Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Robert, Lets follow this out logically based upon what God HAS revealed-- If it is unlawful to defile your bodies among yourselves-- how could it be possible to believe God would allow eating of human flesh?

Robert, although you have stated that this was your last post in this debate I must respond to your remarks with a question:

In what way does eating human flesh (from a person that has died from natural causes and you need their flesh to survive) defile a person?

Agent001, I shall speak the truth in love: I do find a lack of grace and respect in some of your postings.

Please tell me which postings you find this in.

Some instances indicate that the former is in view. In some other ones, it could well be either one. Regardless, the idea of having to eat human flesh in all of these references (see my earlier post) were abhorred by the authors. Having to resort to such acts was considered a judgement from God.

You may be correct, however I think the punishment was that they (out of hunger) were going to kill each other to survive, what do you think?

On another note, tobacco was never prohibited in Scripture, but that does not mean it is right. The Bible is not an ethical code book that covers all cases of ethical choices.

Tobacco has been recently found to cause many diseases, I don't know what the long term effects of eating human flesh would be, but since it would only be done in a crash / survival time, it would only be done for a short period of time.

In the hypothetical situation described in your first post, I do think the extreme situation might call for such an extreme choice. However, if my grandma die in my home today, I do not think it is right (nor respectful) to treat myself to her flesh for dinner. :)

I agree with you!

BTW, it may suprise you that I am a vegetarian (not for any particular reason) but would kill an animal to survive!

2004/3/9 4:54Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Quote:
You may be correct, however I think the punishment was that they (out of hunger) were going to kill each other to survive, what do you think?

It is equally possible that some have starved to death and the others ate their flesh for survival (as had happened throughout human history).
Quote:
Tobacco has been recently found to cause many diseases, I don't know what the long term effects of eating human flesh would be, but since it would only be done in a crash / survival time, it would only be done for a short period of time.

The example of tobacco was cited to illustrate that not all ethical decisions had to have direct Biblical references, as some of your posts seemed to demand (However, from your current response, it is clear that I was mistaken).

Your present response also clarified your position. You said [i]"it would only be done in a crash / survival time."[/i] You did not mention this part of your argument in your previous posts; so it sounded like you are advocating that eating human flesh is alright [i]at all times[/i], as long as it is obtained from deceased persons dying of natural causes. I am guessing that is what upset RobertW. If you check his first response, his position is similar in that he did allow for this to be done in extreme conditions.

Even though this case is rather bizarre, I think it's beneficial in that it forces us to re-think what Christian ethics is. Ethical situations are complex; so the common "Bible is an ethical code book" is not adequate. I also think we must allow room for the Spirit to guide us in muddy situations.

Just curious, are you a vegetarian for religious reasons?

2004/3/9 10:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy