SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian soldiers?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re: Flight instead of fight?

This whole argument makes me mad. It shows us how little we as a whole know of the new testament, its composition, and the historical period in which it takes place.

Romans 13 is a chapter devoted on how obedience to a government or ruling authority is appropriate. Being a soldier is (maybe I'm nutz, here) a manner of servicing that authority, which is allowed (mayhaps even shaped) by God. So which one is it? Not do what a legitimate authority (which God says I should respect) asks of me or not do what isn't explicitely stated?

Of course the NT is full of references as to how we as individuals should deal with civil manners, but I don't remember seeing a sentence forbidding men to be soldiers. Anywhere, as a matter of fact. It's just not there.

Maybe I shouldn't mention this, but Israel didn't even have a legitimate army during the New Testament era. And there isn't enough history in the book for them to have developed one and fought an insurrection against a powerhouse Roman empire.

So why ask the question? Isn't it kind of stupid? Isn't it legitimately disrespectful, which we have in the very same text been warned against being? I mean, let's shed hairs here. Talk about hypocritical.

2007/2/2 4:02Profile

Re:

Quote:
This whole argument makes me mad. It shows us how little we as a whole know of the new testament, its composition, and the historical period in which it takes place.

I was in the Marines. I come from a military family. My ancestors were involved in all the major wars since the inception of this country we live in.

I agree with the previous post 110%. Especially the part I quoted above.

Conversations like this show how most believers are ignorant of scripture, or choose to ignore scripture and rely on their own opinions because they dont like what God has to say. It's the age old question from the Garden... "Hath God said?"

People who believe Christians should not be involved in wars or in military service also usually believe that if someone comes into your house and threatens to rape your wife and kill your children... we should turn the other cheek. What hogwash. God... the same God who says He will avenge the blood of the martyrs, does not expect godly men to sit back and do nothing.

David was a man of war. Yet, God said he was a man after His own heart.

Joshua was a man of war. Look at the name "[b]Jesus[/b]". The name יֵשׁוּעַ‎ "Yeshua" (= Jeshua) is a late form of the Biblical Hebrew name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ‎ Yehoshua (= Joshua) In the OT Joshua was a type of a savior in that he was the one who took over for Moses and led the people into the Promised Land.

Bad things happen when good men do nothing. If good men did nothing all down thru history you would not even have the luxery to sit at your computer and pontificate about such things.

Krispy

2007/2/2 8:16
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=7499&forum=36&post_id=&refresh=Go]This is war??!![/url]

Here is a long thread dealing with this topic.

2007/2/2 8:52Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: General Stonewall Jackson

[img]http://mud.mm-a8.yimg.com/image/4145384757[/img]

In General "Stonewall Jackson", God found a true man who would stand in the gap. Both strong and tender, the motto of his life was, "Lord what wilt thou have me to do?" As fervent in the field of battle, so was Jackson on his knees in prayer. "He was a man of prayer, accustomed in all he did to ask the divine blessing and guidance. His aid said that he could always tell when a battle was near at hand by seeing the General get up a great many times in the night to pray." General Jackson did not simply pray, he fervently prayed. The following story gives us some insight in the passion of his prayers. It was told the Rev. William Brown, "the truth is sir, that 'old Jack' (Jackson) is crazy. Why, I frequently meet him out in the woods walking back and forth muttering to himself incoherent sentences and gesturing wildly, at such times he seems utterly oblivious of my presence and of everything else."

"A friend was once conversing with Jackson about the difficulty of obeying the scripture injunction, 'pray without ceasing,' and Jackson insisted that we could so accustom ourselves to it, that it could be easily obeyed. When we take our meals there is the grace. When I take a drink of water, I always pause, as my palate receives the refreshment, to lift up my heart to God in thanks and prayer for the water of life. Whenever I drop a letter into the box at the post office I send a petition along with it for God's blessings upon its mission and upon the person to whom it is sent. When I break the seal of a letter just received I stop to pray to God that He may prepare me for its contents and make it a message of good. When I go to my classroom and await the arrangement of the cadets in their places, that is my time to intercede with God for them. And so of every other familiar act of the day." Though a man of superior abilities, Jackson humbly recognized his need for JESUS in everything he did.

As a general in the Confederate Army, "Stonewall Jackson" had a profound influence over his men. It was his holy and prayerful example that contributed to the great revival among the Southern troops. By midsummer of 1863, revival had spread to all the Confederate armies. A chaplain of the 26th Alabama Regiment said that his unit alone averaged 100 converts a week for several weeks. During this same time another chaplain declared that, 'modern history presents no example of an army so nearly converted. A third of all soldiers in the field were men of prayer and members of some fellowship. J. W. Jones suggested that 150,000 conversions took place in Lee's Army alone. It was this revival that no doubt prepared the South for the humiliation that was to follow their eventual defeat, but best of all the revival prepared thousands of young and old alike to meet Christ in eternity. Truly, General Jackson impacted our history through the power of prayer.

What is our greatest need today in our morally fallen nation? We need a tenacious, tender, tearful and Holy Ghost bold army of true MEN! Oh God, make us MEN!

- David Smithers

2007/2/2 9:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy