SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian soldiers?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Christian soldiers?

I've just returned from the march in Washington to protest the so-called "surge" of additional troups, and the war in Iraq in general. Perhaps this has been discussed here before, let me know.

my question is, as Jesus was a pacifist and asked us to follow after Him, how can a Christian go to war?

Bub

2007/1/29 19:30
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Christian soldiers?

Quote:
Jesus was a pacifist

He was?

"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me" (Luke 19:27).

2007/1/29 19:37Profile
theopenlife

Re: If you feel called...

Here goes my first comment on SI (though I've been around for a year)...

Thus far I've come to a non-violent position, but this is not to be called "pacisfism" because scripture teaches us to be active and not passive. This said, if the Lord leads one to "enlist" in active prayer everyday concerning a war or anything else, then it seems appropriate to be just as dedicated to that service as anyone who wars after the manner of the world. Our weapons are mightier than physical projectiles. Perhaps God will lead believers to volunteer four years and many hours of disciplined PT (not Physical Training, prayer time!) in the closet for these national situations.

Psalms 76:6-7
"At thy rebuke, O God of Jacob, both the chariot and horse are cast into a dead sleep.
Thou, even thou, art to be feared: and who may stand in thy sight when once thou art angry?"

I would appreciate some more views on this, I'm limited in understanding.

2007/1/30 1:50Profile
taco

Re:

Quote:
but this is not to be called "pacisfism" because scripture teaches us to be active and not passive.

Just on a technical note; you may be confusing pacifism with the notion of being passive. They are two different things.

Many pacifists are very active in many ways.

2007/1/30 3:35Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

The question asked was how can a Christian go to war.

Acts 10 tells us about Cornelius, a Roman centurion, a devout man and one who feared God with all his household and gave alms generously to the people and prayed to God always.

God sent Peter to Cornelius and his household, the Holy Spirit fell on them and they were baptised.

As a centurion, he must have killed people in battle, and God still gave him the Holy Spirit.

So whether a Christian can go to war or not should be determined by what the scriptures say and not by popular opinion.

God bless.

2007/1/30 5:10Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Quote:

bubbaguy wrote:

how can a Christian go to war?

If someone came into my home and started killing my family, would I not be justified in stopping them by any means necessary? I would hate to be forced into that position, but I know how I would respond.

What if thousands attacked? Would we not raise an army of friends and family to fight them off? I would go to help my friends.

Would that not be war?

Just my 2 cents

God bless

TJ

2007/1/30 8:00Profile

Re:

I have a lot of questions about this and do not take a strong stance in my position but...

What if a Christian from one country went to war and killed a Christian from another country...

How could that possibly be ordained by God? it seems compltely opposed to Christ in every sense.

In Christ - Jim

2007/1/30 15:34

Re:

TJ, self defense is not going to war. this is different than having war visited upon us. i am not arguing about the defense of our homes or homeland, but rather an adventurous foreign policy of military internvetion. Can a Christian enlist or willingly participate in this?

Bub

2007/1/31 11:27
jordanamo

Re:

I don't believe in war as something us Christians should participate in. It's up to you to ultimately to figure this out though. Read the NT in the realm of the New Covenant & pray... I believe Jesus was a pacifist in the sense that he would never have participated in a war if he was even drafted by law. We fight a spiritual battle, not a physical one. Self-defense?-- Turn the other cheek. Our sword is not in metal but in the Word.

Jordan

2007/1/31 11:38Profile
theopenlife

Flight instead of fight?

If I knew attackers were "on the way" I would pray about fleeing as the early Christians did from Jerusalem, or as Paul was let out in a basket... take my family and high tail to somewhere else...

Richard Wurmbrand never raised military arms against the invading Russians. He was cunning in his evangelism and it cost him 14 years in prison but he never raised a fist.

I understand the "defend the family" concerns, and I cannot say for sure what I would do in the moment, but I know i don't have blood lust or desire to harm people, so I trust the Lord to speak clearly in the moment when it does happen.

I actually had guys sneak into my apartment a few months ago to do drugs (I know, bizarre, and I live in a "safe area")... I was reading a Spurgeon sermon to my friend, a female, and I told her quietly to stay in the room. I went out and asked them what they were doing and to leave immediately... unbelievably they didn't leave and instead became threatening.. I was praying and called out Julia. I asked them to step out of the way so I could leave with her and they let us go. After I was outside we called the police and they came for the guys, it was so wierd and pretty scary, but praise God it didn't get violent. All of this is to say that I had a knife in my hand and out of sight the whole time, asking God again and again, "Lord, whatever you say, I'm willing."

Thank God, He leads us not into temptations but delivers a means of escape!

2007/2/2 2:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy