SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Historical Premillenialism

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
lovegrace

Historical Premillenialism

Historical Premillennialism:

This belief was held by a large percentage of Christians "during the first three centuries of the Christian era, and is found in the works of Papias, Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, Tertullian, Hippolytus, Methodius, Commodianus, and Lactanitus." The Antichrist first appears on earth and the seven year Tribulation begins. Next comes the Rapture. Christ and his Church return to earth to rule for a Millennium. The forces of evil will be conquered. The faithful will live during this thousand years of peace in Jerusalem, while occupying spiritual bodies. After this period, all people are judged. The faithful will spend eternity on a new earth, (not in heaven).

After Christianity became the official religion of Rome in the fourth century CE, this was declared a heresy and suppressed.

Here is the map.
http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/hispre.html

Comparision with the normal view.
http://www.spiritone.com/~wing/esc_chrt.htm

Just would like to hear your guys imput. Does anyone know anything about this? I think this sounds good on the surface.

Keep in mind this view doesn't see that Israel and the Church as different things but the same.

2007/1/18 17:27Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Historical Premillenialism

And Jesus was actually best friends with Judas Iscariot and so on... yeah, I've heard it all before.

The difference is that I actually went out and dropped 400$ to get the complete works of the early church fathers (available at christianbook.com, probably for cheaper). And having read most of the writers you just name dropped... its not there!

You need to go read them for yourself and not just regurgitate something you heard someone else say about them!

Be an informed Christian... you don't even have to drop the money for these books, you can read them online for free at ccel.org.

Also, where most modern theology got it's end time teachings wasn't from the early Christian teachers... because that's what mostly developed into the Catholic teachings.

You know there was this thing called the Reformation where a bunch of French and German guys cut out about 1000 years of church doctrine and teaching and went back to the basics. Most of what is taught in churches today is closer to the historic teachings than what we might think.

The only problem is that we have fiction authors that we hold up as better experts than most of our theologians and bible scholars! Christianity in America today is being lead around by a bunch of musicians and novelists. We need to get back to the bible! Read the source material, not the dime novel!

Sorry, I needed to rant... oh, and stay away from that Witness Lee cult, all they talk about is the end times and they're mostly wrong.

2007/1/18 17:56Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

I like what Keith Green says; 'pray for pre-trib rapture but prepare for post-trib'

I am actually convinced to the pre trib one, and I think a lot of post-tribbers think we're trying to cop out of some suffering, I've heard mostly teaching on pre-trib cos I can't find any on post-trib and I have asked.

In a nutshell the dilema is 'is the tribulation God's wrath or Satan's'

But what the heck, go and preach the Gospel, if you get raptured great, if you find yourself in the tribulation - hang in there, it's all God's plan, He'll come (or take us) when He wants, make sure we're about His business (what we do understand) not arguing over what we don't understand.

2007/1/18 19:04Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

This is a really good teaching on The Rapture and the End Times. It looks at all the scriptures and is really interesting. It is the most unbiased article I have read on the subject.

[url=http://www.shepherdserve.org/dmm/dmm_29.htm]The Rapture and the End Times[/url]

Peace be with you

TJ

2007/1/18 19:48Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

bro TJ
very interesting article....

2007/1/19 18:22Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

IRONMAN

He, David Servant, has several books for download on his site that are excellent. “The Great Gospel Deception” is a favorite, but I have enjoyed and learned from them all. His book on Biblical servitude is outstanding. I believe it is called “Through The Eye Of The Needle”

until the nets are full

TJ

2007/1/19 18:40Profile
lovegrace

Re:

So, no one has answered my question.

Thanks for the ranting. And the advice. But I had a question in mind.

Does anyone know anything about this 'historical premillenialism'?

Quote:
The difference is that I actually went out and dropped 400$ to get the complete works of the early church fathers (available at christianbook.com, probably for cheaper). And having read most of the writers you just name dropped... its not there!

I actually heard it from a few different reliable sources. There could be a chance you might've missed it. Always take that into account as well.

I think end time prophesy is important and if you can talk about it with a pure and humble mind then I think it like any other doctrinal issue is worth talking about.

So again (that it doesn't get lost)

[u]Does anyone know anything about this 'historical premillenialism'?[/u]

2007/1/20 15:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy