SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : For My Family Here On SI

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

For My Family Here On SI

This is from a conversation between Charles Simeon, and John Wesley. I thought that this would help us to realize the preeminence of Christ's work in and for us, regardless of our perhaps differing "soteriology"(how a soul is saved).
It seems there have been some very good yet very heated discussions which almost pit brother against brother, as if to start a civil war within the ranks of the saints here on SI. May we labour for unity in the essentials, and be flexible with the non-essentials, but in all things have charity.
Be blessed my cyber family :-D

Sir, I understand that you are called an Arminian; and I have been sometimes called a Calvinist; and therefore I suppose we are to draw daggers. But before I consent to begin the combat, with your permission I will ask you a few questions. Pray, Sir, do you feel yourself a depraved creature, so depraved that you would never have thought of turning to God, if God had not first put it into your heart?

Yes, I do indeed.

And do you utterly despair of recommending yourself to God by anything you can do; and look for salvation solely through the blood and righteousness of Christ?

Yes, solely through Christ.

But, Sir, supposing you were at first saved by Christ, are you not somehow or other to save yourself afterwards by your own works?

No, I must be saved by Christ from first to last.

Allowing, then, that you were first turned by the grace of God, are you not in some way or other to keep yourself by your own power?

No.

What then, are you to be upheld every hour and every moment by God, as much as an infant in its mother's arms?

Yes, altogether.

And is all your hope in the grace and mercy of God to preserve you unto His heavenly kingdom?

Yes, I have no hope but in Him.

Then, Sir, with your leave I will put up my dagger again; for this is all my Calvinism; this is my election, my justification by faith, my final perseverance: it is in substance all that I hold, and as I hold it; and therefore, if you please, instead of searching out terms and phrases to be a ground of contention between us, we will cordially unite in those things wherein we agree. (Moule, 79f)

2007/1/13 15:40Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: For My Family Here On SI

Wonderful post! This conversation hit the spot on a cold, rainy Texas day in 2007. Thanks for the sunshine.

Brother Paul

2007/1/13 16:35Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: For My Family Here On SI

[b]For My Family Here On SI[/b] - brother, there is something special in this statement, it warms my heart. :-)
And thanks also for the "conversation".

2007/1/13 20:06Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Excellent article dear brother.

2007/1/13 20:12Profile

Re:

Thank you for the article!

2007/1/13 23:35
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
brother, there is something special in this statement, it warms my heart.

Truly at times, this has been my "home away from home", and I am blessed and priveleged to call you all brothers and sisters!

2007/1/14 2:27Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

bump

2007/1/14 11:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy