SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Woman's Head Covering

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Ron wrote:

Quote:
It had a serious point too. We must resist every notion in this thread which would bring in a sense of woman being 'subservient' to man. There is nothing 'less' about the woman. This is voluntary submission, as the church to Christ, not a heavy handed imposition or a servile cringing.

Ron, you are exactly right!

Many think that by veiling ones head, we are in effect declaring we are inferior to males. I suggest that by applying the headcovering, God is raising us females up to a level unknown to the general population.

At the time of this being written, females were held in low esteem. I am told males would thank God they were not created females! (How arrogant can a body get!!) Actually, they thanked God for three things and this was one of them.

We have to rely on history recorded elsewhere about males attitudes towards females. During the time of Christ it had sunk to a low that reflected the attitudes of the pagan society in surrounding cultures. (The Jews had imbibed this mentality during their time of captivity in foreign nations. Thanks! Alvin Schmidt, author of "Under the Influence".)When Jesus came, he came to restore ALL things, among them to raise the level of appreciation of ALL humans, including females. This is the essense of love: love your neighbor, be it male or female.

The apostles did this. Consider how they related to females - read the book of Acts. Then read Romans 16. There you will read how Paul instructs the church in Roman to render assistance to the women who needed it and he expresses appreciation for services rendered by females...this is hardly the attitude of a woman hater,is it?

Since Eve was the first to move in disobedience to God's command, women have been held in contempt ever since: She is not one to be trusted! However, with the act of submitting to the wearing of a covering, she is saying now to all who will see her: I am now acting in submission to God! I will only speak and act in accordance to His will, not my own! God, speaking through the Holy Spirit inspired Paul to teach this principle to all the churches (1Cor. 11:16.) (1Cor. 14:37.). If we refuse to bow to this sign, are we not again repeating the sin Eve committed in the garden by doing it our own way because we think that to display our hair in all its glory is a "delight to the eyes", "it is desirable to make one wise"?

Now read 1 Corintians 11: 1-16 again.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2007/1/30 7:16Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Phillip,
Thanks for replying to my question. I did not notice your reply until now...

About servanthood: Paul in many places identifies himself as a servant of Jesus Christ. The terms servant and lord always indicate a relationship of order in authority. The servant obeys his master who calls the shots. The scripture uses these terms quite liberally.

Now about faith. What is faith? Does not the application of faith ALWAYS means action on my part? Consider Hebrews 11. There you have the rollcall of OT saints who acted in belief to God's commands and were accounted for righteousness. It was their behaviours that earned them this distinction. The behaviours resulted from obedience to God's will. The commands God exacted from them were not some that were written down for inspiration, but those that were inspired by their love for God (and likely the prompting of the Holy Spirit although the Scriptures do not explicitly say so.)

So then, being free from the bondage or weight of sin, we are free to run with Jesus the race that is set before us. And when you run you are not sitting idly by doing nothing. Heb. 12:1.

Nowhere did I indicate that the application of 1 Corinthians 11 will guarantee one entrance into heaven. The application of this scripture is in no sense a bondage, unless you call baptism, communion bondage. Or perhaps loving ones enemy is bondage, or the command to not commit murder, or steal, or commit adultery being bondage. Are his commands grievous? I suggest they are if you serve self. When self has been crucified, these behavious will characterize the life of the believer. It is not the actions one does that impresses God, but they result from our love and appreciation for who He is by being obedient. Jesse Yoder, a now deceased pastor used to say: "Spiritual maturity is reached when obedience becomes a joy!" I agree. This is the essense of my post.

ginnyrose

2007/1/30 7:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy