Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : David Brainard

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Brianerd

As to Brainerd's success\'failure' rate ...

There is no reason to have this be a matter at all brothers. It is both depending on the perspective, how many under Ravenhill? Dead or alive?

I do find it a bit interesting that the equation has to come up in the first place. How many under Jesus ... alive, prior to the Crucifixion?

If he was a failure in evangelism, thank God for it. Surveying the landscape out there in our day, could but wish for more sacrificial failures. Perhaps the church would be all the better for it.
Look at what all this 'success' has wrought ...

2007/1/13 7:43Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Brianerd

So many things that are striking about his life. That he was often despondent and depressed. That he longed for true brothers to fellowship with and often was left disappointed.

It just dawned on me again coming off the heel's of the success business... Who is determining this, our effectiveness? And by what manner? Real time quantitative results? More by death than life? If so, shouldn't we therefore be praying for our death that the multitudes might be ushered in? It is a very serious question, am not in the least being flippant here.

Perhaps here is not a good place to try and work out what has been heavily on the thoughts of late. Luk 14:26. Rom 6:7. 1Pe_4:1

Brianerds life comes back as a perfect antidote to one's own personal circumstances. Yesterday not an coincidental example having been stirred up in the natural once again with an assortment of frustrations, a berating from the enemy and stirring of all sorts of evil imaginations, notions, seeing them clearly enough for what they are and yet still caught up in the whirlwind of turmoil... Then to come home and think again, re-read parts of [i]this[/i] life by way of comparison, humbling it is. His honesty and endurance despite everything.

2007/1/13 8:11Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Neil,
I do not mind you saying what you understand to be the truth. What I posted was what I found on the web. Obviously, one of us is wrong and at this point I do not know which one is and it really does not matter...it is no salvation issue!

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2007/1/13 8:28Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Len implied that he was a giant in prayer, but a failure in evangelism.

Knowing how Ravenhill valued prayer above all other activities...I find it hard to believe he would have couched Brainered as a failure. If so I pray the church would see more failures like brother David.

Let's remember Noah, when we consider what is at stake in evangelism. Is it our salvation or God's Glory? When our hearts settle this question we might measure decisions for Christ differently. We might even see our churches grow smaller...but God's kindgom established faithfully in more men.

Even now, as some churches in this country are exploding in numbers, I fear they are filled with patrons who are much like those who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved....

Blessings,

MC

2007/1/13 14:10Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: The Susquehana Revival

Saints, the following is an account I posted here on SI awhile back, an account of the Susquehana Revival, a remarkable outpouring of Holy Ghost repentance through David Brainerd's missionary efforts. Brainerd himself witnessed the revival. An evangelistic effort that culminates in genuine revival, is, in my estimation, quite successful. This account of what has come to be known as the "Susquehana Revival" wil bless and encourage you. After reading, I am confident that the word "failure" will not be anywhere in your thoughts, but rather the earnest exhortation of "go and do likewise."

Brother Paul

"About the time of the awakening in New England there was a remarkable revival among the American Indians, under the leadership of David Brainerd, the apostle to the Indians. It was one of the notable spiritual awakenings in the history of the Christian Church. When Brainerd first began his work among the Indians, he had little success. His health became impaired. He retired from the work for a time. He was offered a pastorate among "wealthy and kindly people," and his heart went out in love toward the daughter of Jonathan Edwards. But day-by-day he heard in his soul the pitiful cries of the poor lost Indians who were so degraded and steeped in sin.

He made the great decision. He deliberately gave up a life of ease and comfort, and went back into the wilderness to proclaim the gospel to "his poor Indians." With dauntless heroism he went from place to place preaching to various Indian tribes. His tours among the tribes covered "more than three thousand miles, through forests, over dangerous mountains, in fierce rains, and freezing cold."

As time went on Brainerd realized more and more, that it was only through the mighty power of God, and the fire falling from heaven, that the hardened hearts of the stolid Indians could be changed. He decided to give himself unreservedly to intercessory prayer. It is said "whole nights were spent in agonizing prayer in the dark woods, his clothes drenched with the sweat of his travail." As the result of such intense fervent intercession it is little wonder that the windows of heaven were opened and the fire fell. Mr. Shearer tells the thrilling story:

"Suddenly, the Spirit was outpoured upon the whole region of the Susquehanna. His first audience there had consisted of four women and a few children. Now there came streaming in upon him from all sides a host of men and women, who pressed upon him, and grasping the bridle of his horse, besought him with intense earnestness to tell them the way of salvation. In a great, glad wonder he looked upon them, and the text that leaped to his lips was, 'Herein is love.'

"Men fell at his feet in anguish of soul. These were men who could bear the most acute torture without flinching. But God's arrow had now pierced them; their pain could not be concealed and they cried out in their distress, 'have mercy upon me.' What impressed Brainerd most deeply was that though these people came to him in a multitude, each one was mourning apart. The prophecy of Zechariah was fulfilled before his eyes. The woods were filled with the sound of a great mourning, and beneath the Cross every man fell as if he and the Savior God alone were there. Gradually as the missionary spoke, there came to them, one by one, the peace and comfort of the Gospel.

"As the days passed he had full proof that a heaven-sent revival had come. A passion for righteousness possessed the converts. The wretched victims of the 'fire-water' were delivered, and the Indian camps were cleansed at once from their physical and moral filthiness. The love of Christ expelled every unlovely thing. As one poor woman expressed it, 'Me to be Him for all,' became the motto of their lives. They became themselves ardent missionaries of the Cross. The light spread through all that dark region, and a strong Indian Church was established."

2007/1/13 16:21Profile

Paulie West

great post..thanks for the share.

neil

2007/1/13 17:10
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Paulie West

well, even if David Brainard only won one single soul for Christ, then i belive it still was worth all sufferings and pains. I belive God can take a man throw him into a consentrationcamp for 30 years, or he may even kill us as stephen got stoned, and from his death the apostle paul came forth, are we willing to do that? just to reach one single soul whit the gospel, the question isent always will there be revival, the more important question are we willing to go where God wants to send us?

2007/1/16 5:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy