SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Edition 5 - Beginning of World Wide Revival - William Seymour

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Edition 5 - Beginning of World Wide Revival - William Seymour

This came up in the random article and caught my attenton. I've only read through some of it. Although I have been in the Pentecostal tradion, I have not read much of anything from the earliest men and women of the movement. This is a short cut and paste of a much longer article. If you read through and come to the song I would recommend that you skip down to the testimony from San Deigo before you close it and stop reading.

Full Text [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=3484]Here[/url]

[b]Edition 5 - Beginning of World Wide Revival[/b] - William Seymour

We are expecting wonderful things from the Lord for 1907. The closing up of the old year and beginning of the new found us on our knees at Azusa Mission. And as the new year was announced, such a wave of glory, and divine love and unity came over us. The meeting went on till morning and all the next day. It is a jubilee year. May we all spend it at His feet, learning of Him.
The Lord did great things in 1906. Pentecost first fell in Los Angeles on April 9th. Since then the good tidings has spread in two hemispheres. Many are rejoicing in pardon, purity, and the power of the Holy Ghost. Wherever the work goes, souls are saved, and not only saved from hell but through and through, and prepared to meet the Lord at His coming. Hundreds have been baptized with the Holy Ghost. Many of them are now out in the field, and some in foreign lands, and God is working with them, granting signs and wonders to follow the preaching of the full Gospel.

People all over the land have heard that the oil of the Spirit is being poured out in Los Angeles, and they are coming for oil-coming thousands of miles. And they are being filled with the holy oil, the baptism with the Holy Ghost, and wherever they go, it is being poured out.

From the little mustard seed faith that was given to a little company of people waiting on God in a cottage prayer meeting, a great tree has grown, so that people from all parts of the country are coming like birds to lodge in the branches thereof. (Matt. 13:31:32.) The faith is still growing, and we are still just in the beginning earnestly contending for the faith once delivered unto the saints.

It is a continual upper room tarrying at Azusa Street. It is like a continual camp meeting or convention. All classes and nationalities meet on a common level. One who came for the first time said, "The thing that impressed me most was the humility of the people, and I went to my room and got down on my knees and asked God to give me humility."

The altars are filled with seekers. Sometimes the meetings go on all night. People are slain under the power of God and sanctified or rise up speaking in new tongues. In the meetings, you see the holy joy of the Lord in the countenances, and people are melted in the presence of the Lord, filled with His praise.

The Lord is graciously healing many sick bodies. People are healed at the Mission almost every day. Requests come in for prayer from all over. They are presented in the meeting and the Spirit witnesses in many cases that prayer is answered, and when we hear from them they are healed. Handkerchiefs are sent in to be blest, and are returned to the sick and they are healed in many cases. One day nine handkerchiefs were blest, another day sixteen. A man came with a broken arm and was healed. The mission people never take medicine. They do not want it. They have taken Jesus for their healer and He always heals.

There is a very sweet spirit of unity among Pentecostal missions in Los Angeles and workers in suburban towns. Every Monday morning, the misiners and workers from these different points meet together for prayer and counsel. The missions in Los Angeles are at 327 1/2 S. Spring, of which Bro. Fisher is pastor; 8th and Maple Ave., of which Bro. Pendleton is pastor; and 1321 E. 51st St., where Bro. and Sister Kent have charge. Workers from Long Beach, Pasadena, Clearwater, Anaheim, and other nearby places also come in. All are in one accord. In our first meeting several messages were given in tongues through our Bro. Post, and interpreted as follows:

"We acknowledge Christ only, His truth, His Word. We must tarry much before Him. We must acknowledge that He is in our midst, walking among the golden candlesticks, pruning, purging. He who moved among the golden candlesticks, is moving in our midst now. We must recognize Him alone as Head over all, and know no man after the flesh. The Spirit of God will teach us, if we keep low in love and humility before Him. Our Lord says, "I smile upon you, when you are seeking My will, My glory only. There must be no glorying in names or orders or systems, only in Myself alone. All fullness is in me, all power is in My Gospel."

We must give God all the glory in this work. We must keep very humble at His feet. He recognizes no flesh, no color, no names. We must not glory in Azusa Mission, nor in anything but the Lord Jesus Christ by whom the world is crucified unto us and we unto the world.

We stand as assemblies and missions all in perfect harmony. Azusa Mission stands for the unity of God's people everywhere. God is uniting His people baptizing them by one Spirit into one body.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PENTECOST RESTORED.

Written after his Pentecostal anointing on the train, by J.W. Ellison, Des Moines, Iowa.

O glorious promise of heaven!

Fulfilled to His people at last;

The tongues of fire have descended,

And sealed us as those in the past.

The Pentecost power is now spreading,

The Bible rings clear as a bell;

The finished work of the Savior,

We now are commissioned to tell.

The touch of the hand brings conviction,

The look of the eye startles sin,

The flood gates of heaven are opened,

And souls are now entering in.

All fear is banished forever,

And sickness and pain flee away,

The touch of Jesus is as powerful,

As it was in that wonderful day.

The union of hearts is like magic,

And bodies are molded like clay;

Souls that are sealed by His Spirit

Have entered the heavenlies to stay.,

Sinners who once have been careless

Have wakened to a sense of their need;

Pentecost surely is spreading,

Regardless of doctrine or creed.

Then glory to Jesus who loved me,

And glory to Jesus who came,

And glory to Jesus who fills me,

And seals with His own precious name.

________

-------

PENTECOSTAL POWER IN SAN DIEGO.

San Diego,Cal., Jan. 5.

Dear Saints, Greeting!

Grace and peace be multiplied unto you all, through our Lord Jesus Christ, who always causeth us to triumph in every place, and maketh-manifest through us the savor of His knowledge.

The dear Lord has favored us with continuous victory, reclaimed, sanctified and some baptized with the Holy Ghost every week. The interest is increasing notwithstanding the continuous wet weather. The altar is filled with seekers at most every service.

We have had some m,marvelous cases where those possessed by the devil have been wonderfully and completely delivered and clothed in their right minds. We wish to note one case in particular for the glory of God and the power of our Lord Jesus Christ.

A man of German birth came in the meetings, a master in Theology and Spirtualism, who claimed he was Christ incarnate --that he was immortal, and had all wisdom and knowledge. The blessed Holy Ghost gave the saints the discerning of Spirits, and they rebuked the devils in him. And the man fell to the floor, trembling from head to foot. The devils were commanded to come out of him in Jesus' name. And immediately he began to confess his sins and crimes, too awful to mention. He continued to pray and call upon God for mercy, and in a few days he found peace. He has since gone on to the cleansing Blood and has received his Pentecost, and in humility is owning Jesus as his perfect Savior, clothed in his right mind, joyful and happy.

About twelve have redeceived their Pentecost and a number are still seeking. We are praying that the Lord will establish this work as in Los Angeles. This is an open field with virgin soil, and the work is taking deep and firm hold upon the people. Our hearts are burdened for salvation of the people of San Diego.

F.E. Hill

2007/1/8 12:10Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Edition 5 - Beginning of World Wide Revival - William Seymour

Anyone else hungry for a genuine taste of Pentecost?

2007/1/8 12:12Profile
death2self

Washington DC area

Re:

Amen. I love Brother Seymour's heart for Jesus. What a precious man and may the Lord send Pentecost again.

For those who are Pentecostal, I would highly recommend this book, which I believe Greg has also posted somewhere. It's called [url=http://www.parbarwestward.org/frmRejected.htm]"The Rejected Blessing"[/url].

2007/1/8 12:48Profile
Nellie

Re:

Chris,
I'm hungry for a genuine taste of Pentecost.
Thanks for sharing this.
God Bless
Nell

2007/1/8 12:58Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Brother and sister, may it be said of our thirst and of our capacity for living waters...

[i]Behold now behemoth...he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.[/i]

:-)

2007/1/8 18:08Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

"And as the new year was announced, such a wave of glory, and divine love and unity came over us. The meeting went on till morning and all the next day."

2007/1/8 18:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy