SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Genesis 22:8

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Nasher

Watford, UK

Genesis 22:8

KJV: And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

ASV: And Abraham said, God will provide himself the lamb for a burnt-offering, my son. So they went both of them together.

NKJV: And Abraham said, "My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering." So the two of them went together.

NASB: Abraham said, "God will provide for Himself the lamb for the burnt offering, my son." So the two of them walked on together.

As you can see in the older versions (KJV & ASV) the word for is not there, without this the text suggests the God will provide himself [as] the lamb for a burnt offering.

My question is, is the word for in the Hebrew and what do people think the best way to translate this text is?

2004/2/24 4:56Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Genesis 22:8

Young's Literal Translation:

[i]`God doth provide [b]for[/b] Himself the lamb for a burnt-offering, my son;'[/i]

The footnote of [url=http://www.netbible.com]NET Bible[/url] says:

[i]Heb "will see for himself." The construction means "to look out for; to see to it; to provide."[/i]

All other literal translations (Darby, ESV) I consulted read the same way: "God will provide [i]for[/i] himself..."

2004/2/24 9:55Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

The theology of this verse, as a type of Christ, makes "for Himself" necessary. Christ is the propitiation that the Father has set forth. We sometimes say that Jesus paid the price. In strict theological terms, The Father paid the price, Jesus was the price that He paid.

2004/2/25 5:07Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy