SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : John wesley imparts wisdom to Miss Pywell

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
myfirstLove

John wesley imparts wisdom to Miss Pywell

Miss Pywell

He (John Wesley) writes to Miss Pywell, in 1773: "One part of your work is to stir up all who have
believed to go on unto perfection, and every moment to expect the full salvation which is received by
simple faith. I am persuaded your being where you are will be for good. Speak to all about you, and spare
not." -- Vol. vii, p.36.

We shall find that his views respecting preaching sanctification are in strict agreement with all
these earnest sentiments. In 1745 he said it should be preached "scarce at all to those who are not
pressing forward; to those who are, always by way of promise; always drawing rather than driving."
-- Vol vi, p.496.

In 1746 he said: "It behooves us to speak almost continually of the state of justification but more rarely,
at least in full and explicit terms, concerning entire sanctification." -- Vol. vi, p. 437.

At a later date he qualifies this by saying: "More rarely, I allow; but yet in some
places very frequently, strongly and explicitly." -- Ib. Henry Moore, his friend and biographer,
remarks respecting this passage: "At that time our congregations in general needed to be taught the
first principles of the oracles of God. They need now to be urged to leave these principles of the
doctrines of Christ, and to go on to perfection and not a few have lost their first love, and turned back to
the world for want of being so urged."

Mr. Wesley so clearly saw the same necessity, that in 1764 he said: "All our preachers should make a
point of preaching perfection to believers constantly, strongly and explicitly; and all believers should
mind this one thing, and continually agonize for it." -- Vol. vi, p.529.

In 1762 he says: "The more I converse with the believers in Cornwall, the more I am convinced that they
have sustained great loss for want of hearing the doctrine of Christian perfection clearly and strongly
enforced. I see wherever this is not done; the believers grow dead and cold. Nor can this be prevented but
by keeping up in them an hourly expectation of being perfected in love." -- Vol. iv, p. 137.

In 1776 he writes to a friend: "Where Christian perfection is not strongly and explicitly preached, there is
seldom any remarkable blessing from God; and consequently little addition to the society, and little life
in the members of it. Speak and spare not. Let not regard for any man induce you to betray the truth of
God. Till you press the believers to expect full salvation now, you must not look for any revival." -- Vol.
vi, p.761. In 1771 he writes: "I hope Brother C. is not ashamed to preach full salvation, receivable now
by faith. This is the word which God will always bless and which the devil peculiarly hates, therefore he
is constantly stirring up both his own children and the weak children of God against it." -- Vol. vii, p.55.

And his letters to his preachers during the last thirty years of his life abound in exhortations to "urge all
the believers strongly and explicitly, to go on to perfection," and to "expect it now by simple faith." --
Vol. vii, p. 206.

2006/12/29 0:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy