SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is God's "Comfort"?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re: How God's Comfort was Offered at Pentecost

Imagine being an onlooker on that great day of Pentecost and suddenly, through Peter’s teaching and the Spirit's conviction, you realized that you were an accomplice in the death of God’s Anointed One! How would you be able to live with yourself? Surely, you would crack apart - with such an enormous burden of guilt.

Guilt is a horrible human experience. I do not know of any form of suffering more excruciating than guilt. It causes all manner of horrible human ailments.

Guilt before God is unendurable. None of us could endure standing before God – nakedly exposed in our guilt. In fact, we’d die if we were not shielded in some way. Guilt is unbearable. It is an enormous disturbance of the conscience. It is a taste of hell. And so it should be, for it is a symptom of rebellion against God. Guilt must be removed. But nothing can fully remove it except the forgiveness through Christ: the “consolation of Israel”.

Peter surely must have understood the painfulness of guilt (Remember his denials?) At Pentecost there was no indication that he tried hard to lay on guilt trips in order to produce repentance. He didn’t even mention hell, damnation, eternal fire. He didn't need to. He simply said the truth - an an indisputable fact: “ …this Christ whom you crucified…”

Even still, the words that ultimately spawned repentance were words of hope:

“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God made this same Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ. Act 2:36

(This reminds me of what Joseph said to his brothers: ”You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good…”)

Interestingly, it was THESE words of Peter that reached their consciences: “When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, ‘Brothers, what must we do?”

Peter’s call to repentance was a welcome message of comfort for these guilt-ridden people: “Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.” Is that not glorious news for all who are under the dreadful conviction for sin?

GOD'S GOODNESS:
As I look through Acts, I get the impression that it was the goodness of God and the acts of kindness that brought conviction that led to repentance.

“…the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance.” Rom. 2:4
“… God's kindness leads you toward repentance? NIV
“…him who called us by his own glory and goodness.” 2 Pet. 1:3

I think that is exactly what happened at Pentecost. Even before Peter's address the people had heard “… them declaring the wonders of God in [their] own tongues.” Acts 2:11 It was God's goodness all the way!!

THE WRATH OF GOD:
Am I imagining it, or do we find it easier to discuss God’s wrath than God’s comfort? I suspect a thread called “What is God’s Wrath?” would be far more attractive. Certainly the subject of God’s wrath doesn’t demand our vulnerability in the same way as God's comfort. After all, God’s comfort is synonymous with God’s forgiveness. And receiving forgiveness makes us vulnerable. It requires of us something that nothing else does. It requires the surrender of our pride and our desire for control over ourselves and over others. You have to let it all go.

I wonder if that is why pagan deities are typically wrathful. At least with them you can buy your way out. You can sacrifice your child, you can beat yourselves up. You can do good works. But to receive forgiveness from a good God? That takes everything from you. It demands that you also forgive others and let them off the hook too. That idea is repulsive to every fibre of our nature. We would naturally rather participate with God’s vengeance and wrath than with his forgiveness and goodness. (Remember Jonah?)

God’s comfort: Our pride repels it; and yet, when we experience it, we know that there is nothing more wonderful. No wonder we can’t help but give it to others once we have received it.

God’s comfort: This is the spirit of prophesy. It flows from Christ. It is redemptive!

"But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort ." 1 Corinthians 14:3

Diane

2007/2/2 14:46Profile
roadsign

Re: The consolation of Israel: proclaimed in Pisidian Antioch

On the Sabbath they [Paul and his companions] entered the Synagogue and sat down. After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the synagogue rulers sent word to them, saying, “Brothers if you have a message of encouragement for the people, please speak.” Acts 13:13

Wow! What a moment of opportunity! How many of us SI’ers, who are concerned about the condition of our modern church, would love the opportunity to publicly disclose our burdens. But wait! The apostles weren’t invited to come and share about everything that is wrong with the religious system of the day. They were asked to bring a message of encouragement that is, if they had one.

The religious establishment of Paul’s day was filled with just as much hypocrisy as ours is today. We would think: They did not need any word of encouragement! They needed a good stiff word of chastisement!

But that is not God-thinking. And it was not Paul-thinking. Paul did not take advantage of the opportunity to unburden his heart. Paul did not begin in a combative manner, nor scold them for their rebellious hearts. He stayed absolutely trustworthy to the parameters of the invitation. He offered encouragement. In other words, he offered God’s comfort – through and through. He crafted his message in such a way that there was no doubt about it: It was Good News all the way from their days in Egypt till the present! It was God’s glorious program. And the best news of all was for them that very day:

“Therefore [because of the resurrection] I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you.”

Even Paul’s warning exuded with a sweet taste. And it made the listeners curious - eager to hear more. Paul simply quoted a verse from Isaiah: “Look you scoffers, wonder and perish, for I am going to do something in your days that you would never believe even if someone told you.”

Note the results of Paul’s one-minute discourse that day:

“On the next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of the Lord.”

What might we learn from this example in Acts?

Diane

2007/2/4 7:35Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi all,i hope my scribblings arn't to confusing!!

I think its easy to think this society is so different from the time of Jesus,after all were postmodernist :-P ..

But i think its interesting when we see this scripture

Mat 23:37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!"

Whatever the degree of comfort were not so different..Were forever trying to make ourselves comfortable,so as to forget were comfortless..Were either trying to be happy in our comfort zone,or reaching for more worldly comfort to blank out the need for real comfort

I looked up word consolation

2Th 2:16 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace

so are love & grace & hope the consolation?,but there invisiable till we realize we need them?..

Of course this leaves me in a awkward position regarding Israel was Simeon right? That they clearly didn't choose him in the main,make his statement any less valid?
andy

2007/2/4 10:13Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Encouragement, strength and comfort

Quote:
THE WRATH OF GOD:
Am I imagining it, or do we find it easier to discuss God’s wrath than God’s comfort? I suspect a thread called “What is God’s Wrath?” would be far more attractive. Certainly the subject of God’s wrath doesn’t demand our vulnerability in the same way as God's comfort. After all, God’s comfort is synonymous with God’s forgiveness. And receiving forgiveness makes us vulnerable. It requires of us something that nothing else does. It requires the surrender of our pride and our desire for control over ourselves and over others. You have to let it all go.

I wonder if that is why pagan deities are typically wrathful. At least with them you can buy your way out. You can sacrifice your child, you can beat yourselves up. You can do good works. But to receive forgiveness from a good God? That takes everything from you. It demands that you also forgive others and let them off the hook too. That idea is repulsive to every fibre of our nature. We would naturally rather participate with God’s vengeance and wrath than with his forgiveness and goodness. (Remember Jonah?)

God’s comfort: Our pride repels it; and yet, when we experience it, we know that there is nothing more wonderful. No wonder we can’t help but give it to others once we have received it.

God’s comfort: This is the spirit of prophesy. It flows from Christ. It is redemptive!

[i]"But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and [b]comfort[/b] ."[/i] 1 Corinthians 14:3

Oh my ... Sister you are hitting below the belt here.... And are absolutely correct. Interesting that this verse was greatly overlooked in recent discussions of all things prophetic ... I do think there is a great evidence of this fact of (forgiveness) being overshadowed by what does end up drawing more attention. It is an uncomfortable thing for some of us to come to that very end, of desperate helplessness, to know you not only do not deserve it and can do nothing but accept it. Of course in this day that it has been turned into the [i]God forbid[/i] of Paul's admonishen about the very nature of grace (that we go on sinning) has made the pendulum swing far too much to the opposite extreme.

[i]the goodness of God [u]leadeth[/u] thee to repentance[/i]

Yes, what of [i]this controversy[/i]?

2007/2/4 14:43Profile
roadsign

Re: The Prophetic message is the consolation

"But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort ." 1 Corinthians 14:3

Quote:
Interesting that this verse was greatly overlooked in recent discussions of all things prophetic

Mike, You write: “ … in recent discussion”, but more astonishing to me is how I myself missed this point all along! I didn’t see it until I actually inserted the scripture verse at the end of the post. At the same time I had the “prophet” thread on my mind, and that's how I made the connection. Why! They belong together! Daauhh!

It looks like we’ve just wedded two biblical terms: prophesy and comfort.
That reminds me of Ron Bailey’s sermons, where he cautioned of the danger of lifting words out of scripture in order to define them. Words need to be understood in light of other biblical concepts. Indeed, the danger of lifting words out of the Scriptures is that we weaken them, disconnect them, redefine them, and make them non-functional - much like lifting the heart or the stomach out of the body. We damage or kill the entire organism. What a master trick of the devil!

Satan conquers by dividing, and here is a good example of how he tries to sever truth from truth in order to weaken and distort God’s Good News. Indeed the two key biblical terms: “prophetic” and “comfort” must not be divorced.

So what happens when we wed the theme of the prophetic and the theme of God’s comfort ? Consider these two scriptures:

“Comfort ye, comfort ye, my people,” saith your God.
Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem
and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished,
that her iniquity is pardoned.. Is. 40:1-3

“I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy… see visions, dream dreams…
I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy.” Acts 2:18

The ministry of prophecy, when in the power of the Spirit produces life:

24But if all prophesy [giving inspired testimony and interpreting the divine will and purpose] and an unbeliever or untaught outsider comes in, he is told of his sin and reproved and convicted and convinced by all, and his defects and needs are examined (estimated, determined) and he is called to account by all, 1 Cor 14:24 (Amplified)

No wonder Paul writes:
”Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy…. ” 1 Corinthians 14:39

Clearly words of prophecy have the power to touch hearts and change them. It is the power of the Spirit at work (as opposed to man’s natural attempts to change people). Prophecy is the carrier of the Good News - God’s comfort.

The prophetic message IS comforting for the lost sinner and for the saved as well. We all need it. Both concepts belong to the Covenant promise. It's all one and same promise!

Something to consider:
What happens to the Gospel message when we splinter the two concepts: the “prophetic” and the “consolation” (comfort)?

Diane

2007/2/5 6:27Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi,Great thread Diane!

I was struck with the expression Wherever you think Jesus is, He's not..

By that I mean the company He keeps.. He kept some pretty unsavory company on a number of occasions i.e tax collectors, prostitutes etc..

There's so many people that if I heard Jesus was sharing a meal with I WOULD FREAK!! To make matters worse Hes enjoying Himself!! Jiminy Cricket's I would be frustrated,confused maybe even betrayed?

Maybe the problem we have with comfort is: who He offers it to? lol...Sometimes we think we are a better judge of who deserves comfort than God does..

andy

2007/2/5 23:26Profile
roadsign

Re:

Hi, Andy, You have made a lot of great points so far! This one in particular is striking:

Quote:
Sometimes we think we are a better judge of who deserves comfort than God does..

For sure, you are getting to the heart of the matter - and that leads into another aspect of God's comfort: His DIScomfort - that is, for those who can't accept the way he does things.

more later...

Diane

2007/2/7 6:24Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi i just heard a great sermon by Art Katz about the Cross..
He said we can see the decline in the Church, with the decline of the Cross being preached..That we hate the word suffering,and any preaching about it seeping into our comfortable world..

I was wondering if we have a problem with "Hes our comfort" because that means confronting the Cross,and also the Cross we have carry are selves..

andy

2007/2/7 12:28Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I was wondering if we have a problem with "He’s our comfort" because that means confronting the Cross

Andy, What is it about the cross that discomforts many? Why does this not seem to deter others from following Christ - in fact, it is wonderful consolation to them?

Diane

2007/2/7 13:59Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi well I'm thinking aloud here..To the world the Cross is the other side of Christ..Theres the meek side : The Jesus is love,Good Samaritan,help the poor..yesss sir thats very comforting..Its rather ironic no one ever questions these verses..

But looming up the road is standing a Cross..Grouped together with the Cross is "I'm the only way to the Father" then it starts to get less comforting and more confronting..Now ur suddenly remember hmmmm didn't he also say something about picking our own Cross up ouch..
Andy

2007/2/7 14:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy