SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What's your zodiac sign?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Santana

What's your zodiac sign?

I'm a Capricorn. What are you?

I can't tell you how much that question comes up in the secular workplace and at school. This might seem like such an irrelevant, anti-deep post but I believe it’s through our reactions in everyday life with everyday people where ‘the world’ will see Christ. (Not through our deep theological explanations.)

I don’t want to sound arrogant and just say, “Oh, I’m a Christian. I don’t believe in that stuff.” I want to be as gentle and loving as possible. So how do you answer that question and win them to the Kingdom? Lol.

2006/12/13 14:01Profile

Re: What's your zodiac sign?

Interesting question. :-)

I have a system, but I won't speak it out right now. I'll be intrigued by the way other people deal with it.

2006/12/13 14:13

Re: Jeremiah 10:2

I've been faced with that question lots of times, too... and I just flat out tell them, "I'm a Christian; I don't believe in that garbage." Sometimes gentleness works better and I adjust accordingly, but most of the time, with people who are dealing with demonic activities such as astrology, I just give them an honest answer.

That either a)gets them curious or b)gets them defensive. Either way they're going to ask questions or give me some other chance to talk/witness to them (most of the time). I've had responses like, "Well, I'm a Christian, too! But I don't believe it's wrong." With that response you can just tell them that it's unscriptural... like in Jeremiah 10:2, which says, Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
There's also Isaiah 47 (verse 13 makes specific mention of the practice of astrology)

It's a sin because if you're turning to "the stars" and such for help, you've forsaken God. He should be the one we ask for help, but consulting astrology is consulting demons. Not a good idea...

Eh, those are generally the things I tell people when they ask what "sign" I am. I ALWAYS refer people to Scripture, though. Hebrews 4:12 comes to mind...

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

2006/12/13 21:21

"my birthday is December 20th"......"I don't know, I don't really follow that stuff".

thats my usual response to such a question.

how to win them to the Kindgom?

smile, be winsome, nice and courtly, just like Jesus. (in us)

2006/12/13 21:39
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

My Sign? I am under the sign of the Cross. :-)

2006/12/13 22:09Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

I often say 'I'm a Pyrex' when they look at me funny I explain; 'I was a test tube baby' :-P

I know it's a bit silly but it gets away from the subject if that's what you want.

On a different tact, it's worth looking into the fact that the original 'zodiac' before it was corrupted by the Babylonians, told the story of the virgin birth and redemption of man. 'The heavens declare the Glory of God'. Though I have only found a small amount of information on this and I still don't fully understand it. May be you could find out more and use it to give the Gospel. Chuck Missler talks about it but I can't remember the book her refers to.

2006/12/13 23:47Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I usually say "I don't have a star sign, I have a Son sign." Then wait for them to ask some more questions. I recall once being offered a reading of my fortune from my palm. I replied that my destiny didn't lie in my hands but in anothers hands; nail-pierced hands.

2006/12/15 3:44Profile
Peacecraft

USA

Reminds me of the Christian tee-shirt that says "What's your sign?" and it has the Jesus fish symbol on it. You might somehow refer to that symbol as "your sign." That symbol was used a long time ago during persecution of Christians. One Christian would draw half of the fish in the sand with thier foot, and if the other person was also a Christian they would draw the other half... then they would know they were both Christians. Pretty cool huh? Anyways, you might be able to talk about the Jesus fish (I think there is another name for it but I can't recall it) and explain how you are identified in Christ not by the stars and that your future is in His hands alone.

2006/12/15 10:54Profile
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

How about "REPENT INFADEL YOUR BLOOD IS NOT ON MY HANDS!!!"

Just kidding

Actually, Allhavsinned has a good point. Most people, when you play dumb, don't have a clue about the Zodiac it either. Very few Christians know that the 'Zodiac' and constellations all declare the gospel message. It's worth all of us knowing a little about that message. It would literally blow the sox off people.

EDIT: In my experience, most people don't like pat answers. They don't seem to generate the kind of conversation you'd like. Beyond that, if you have a pat answer and then are totally ignorant of the topic, your really in trouble.

There's a book I think it's "The Gospel in the Stars" or something like that. D James Kennedy's ministry had a short ditty on it maybe 4-5 years ago.

2006/12/15 11:07Profile
Santana

Re:

Quote:
REPENT INFADEL YOUR BLOOD IS NOT ON MY HANDS!!!

LOL.

How about, "GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN!!!"

Speaking of pat answers. Many times I think about when Jesus told the people 'Eat my flesh and drink my blood'....I often think about what were the disciples thinking right then and there. Did they wonder if Jesus was losing it? Were they embarrased?

It's another reason why I love this walk. God is perfect when our brains can't comprehend it.

2006/12/15 11:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy