SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The SIN of FORBIDDING the GIFTS

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
EVAVGELIST

PERRIS CA

Re:

Acts 19:2 He said unto them, HAVE YE RECEIVED THE HOLY SPIRIT (The dynamic infilling) SINCE YE BELIEVED? And they said unto him, we have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. (Dynamic infilling)

2006/12/14 23:44Profile
EVAVGELIST

PERRIS CA

Re:

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and BEGAN TO SPEAK WITH OTHER TONGUES, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, AND THEY SPAKE THE WORD OF GOD WITH BOLDNESS.

Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they SPAKE IN TONGUES, AND PROPHESIED.

These are some approved examples in Scripture to show us what it looks like to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Read it for yourself, they are:
1. Spoke in tongues.
2. Preached the Word of God with boldness, (By the way this only happened in Acts to them that received the baptisim of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues first.
3. Spoke in tongues and prophesied.

This is a picture painted through the New Testament of what it looks like to be Spirit FILLED. If your life is a picture would it look like this?

One of the problems we have today is that people are picking up the bible and wondering why modern Churches don’t look like biblical Churches. They are wondering if Churches are preaching another gospel. Where is the POWER OF GOD? They are not seeing in Churches what they read in the bible.

If you ever want to see the power of God fall: Preach what they preached (Jesus Christ and him crucified) pray like they prayed, Acts 4:29-30 29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word, 30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus. And live like they lived, Galatians 2:20 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

The SIN OF FORBIDDING THE GIFTS mainly applied to those who believe that gifts are for today but do not want to see them exercised.
It seems that this whole thing has gone in another direction. So because my time is limited let me cut through all this and move to the existence of the gifts today.

Sorry I’m in a rush,

Be filled, Josh

2006/12/15 0:31Profile
GraceAlone

Orlando, Florida

Re:

Quote:
The SIN OF FORBIDDING THE GIFTS mainly applied to those who believe that gifts are for today but do not want to see them exercised.

Ok, so nevermind. This stuff doesn't apply to me. I don't believe these gifts are for today.

It would probably look more like this... :)

3 “ Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
For they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.

9 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

29 If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him.

7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning.

24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

12 No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us. 13 By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.

7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.

To be spirt-filled is to be walking with the spirit. We are to be Spirit-controlled. I sometimes use this analogy- "if the worst deamon ever possessed somebody you'd expect that person to start being crazy... well, the the holiest Spirit ever possessed you- You'd cleanup your act wouldn't you?"

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Galatians 4:6
And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!”

2006/12/15 10:38Profile
EVAVGELIST

PERRIS CA

Re:

Gracealone comments in the following way:

It would probably look more like this... :)

3 “ Blessed are the poor in spirit,
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
For they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.

9 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

29 If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him.

7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning.

24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

12 No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us. 13 By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.

7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.

To be spirt-filled is to be walking with the spirit. We are to be Spirit-controlled. I sometimes use this analogy- "if the worst demon ever possessed somebody you'd expect that person to start being crazy... well, the the holiest Spirit ever possessed you- You'd cleanup your act wouldn't you?"

Galatians 4:6
And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!”

I agree that these are all Christian characteristics; however, I am calling “Spirit filled” what Scripture calls Spirit filled.
The things that followed this term, “They were all filled with the Spirit and……….”Are the things Scripture calls Spirit filled.
All the things you pointed out in Scripture are things all Christians should do.
Hey, I sure you can find Scripture to back up, that before the term, “They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and……” they were already doing the things you commented about.

(3 “ Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted. 5 Blessed are the meek, For they shall inherit the earth. 6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled. 7 Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy. 8 Blessed are the ure in heart, For they shall see God. 9 Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be alled sons of God. 10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. ECT.)

God Bless you GraceAlone,
Josh

2006/12/17 16:48Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

The Holy Spirit had never been in man as it is now and ever since The Father answered His Son's prayer, and sent the Comforter at Pentecost. The Holy Spirit has always been with man but never in man as He is now.

The same goes for the Son of God. He is birthed in us and we now live by the Faith of the Son of God by Gods Grace through Faith, which man never had until Pentecost either. That is Paul's great message of the New Testament. Saved by Grace through Faith, not saved in faith by works.
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:
Rom 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
Phl 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

We must understand the the Faith by which the circumcision was saved was and is through works. The uncircumcision is saved by Faith through the Faith of Jesus Christ.
Rom 3:30 Seeing [it is] one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

So we are saved by Grace through Faith and that is not of ourselves. It is the Faith and Grace of God the Father in and through belief in Jesus Christ. Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

In the same way when we are saved the Holy Spirit is now in us and not with us. There is only one filling, "The were filled with the Holy Spirit", These that were filled had the Holy Spirit with them and was then at Pentecost were filled with the Holy Spirit, which is what is the filling for all that Believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, which takes the Holy Spirit from without, convicting of sin and knowing the need of a Savior, that Is, "Jesus Christ The Son of the Living God", Then when we believe the Holy Spirit is Pentecosted into the believer and The Son of God is birthed in us and we are sealed by the Holy Spirit. When you seal something, nothing can get out or in. We have All in All, Jesus Christ, our nature, The Holy Spirit our power and Teacher and God the Father By Jesus Christ making their Abode with us.

No second filling. Speaking in tongues not necessary for validation of salvation, only the new life you spoke of when the Holiest Spirit comes in and the Spirit of Christ is birthed in us, how can we not change. That is the Grace of God through Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit.

In Christ, with all the Spirit I will ever have, Teaching me all things of Jesus Christ unto a new Nature, God nature destined for the Father's House.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/12/19 0:34Profile
EVAVGELIST

PERRIS CA

Re:

Quote:
In the same way when we are saved the Holy Spirit is now in us and not with us. There is only one filling, "The were filled with the Holy Spirit", These that were filled had the Holy Spirit with them and was then at Pentecost were filled with the Holy Spirit,

KJV Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

You are right they were filled with the Spirit at Pentecost. Let me ask you this, how many were filled at Pentecost? And what did they ALL do, who experienced this dynamic infilling? THEY WERE ALL FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT AND THEY ALL SPOKE IN TONGUES. Why do you claim to have this same experience yet lack to do what they did? Understand this I am not talking about the gift of tongues, 1 Corinthians 12:29-30 29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? NO
I am talking about the initial evidence found in Scripture for what is called among Pentecostal brothers the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
Speaking in tongues not necessary for validation of salvation

I can think of none who teach you have to speak in tongues to be saved except the U.P.C.
And I would not agree with them at all.

Speaking in tongues is what followed being filled with the Holy Spirt after Jesus was raised from the dead.
Let me share this with you, People who do not believe in tongues or gifts, it is all just their belief. Some people believe in tongues and the gifts and it is just their belief. Now let me speak for me and the millions around the world like me. It is not just belief; WE KNOW IT IS ALL REAL FOR WE EXPERIECED IT OURSELVES.

John 9:25 25 He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see.

And one thing we know at one time we simply received the Spirit, but now we are filled with the SPIRIT.

BE FILLED, JOSH

2006/12/20 14:20Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Then you are saying that a person is not filled with the Holy Spirit unless he speaks in tongues as the Spirit gives them utterance.

It was not necessary for Paul. Acts 9:15-20 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake. And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized. And when he had received meat, he was strengthened. Then was Saul certain days with the disciples which were at Damascus. And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.

What is the reason for tongues? All that spoke in languages that all understood in their own learned language from birth, hearing it from them that spoke a different language as the Spirit gave them Utterance. Acts 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Why? Acts 2:11-12 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this? "The Wonderful Workings of God", unto salvation.

What and Who are all the gifts of the Spirit allowed for? Only one reason, for the building up of the Body of Christ. Who, in His authority and distribution uses these gifts in man that all would be made to drink into one Spirit?

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12:5-11 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

There different gifts and all are by the Holy Spirit.

There are different administrations of the gifts and all are administrated by the Gifted One Himself, Jesus Christ, by His Choice.

There is manifestation of all the gifts and all are to profit all in the Body of Christ.

God is all in all. 1 Corinthians 12:6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

The last gift in the list is the Gift of Languages of divers kinds, of the earth. The language by which we communicate with each other. If God in His working send a Greek to an American and wants the build the body of Christ, the American by a special gift administration of God by Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit the American by the Holy Spirit will speak in a Spirit powered Greek tongue that The Greek will understand in His own language, (tongue)

This is the only tongue speaking in the bible as it pleases God and manifest in man by the Holy Spirit, when needed and the more the Gospel spreads to all corners of the earth the less these interpretations by the Spirit are needed, because God can use a Greek to bring the Gospel to a Greek, but if necessary to God Languages can be used as one of the Gifts in 1 Corinthians 12, and Acts 2.

What other tongues are there? Tongues are for the unbeliever and prophecy are for the believer.
Prophecy: the teaching of the word of God to those that can attain the things of the Kingdom of God by there Born Again experience by the Christ that has been birthed in them, "the hope of Glory".

1 Corinthians 14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

This is very simple why should I speak Greek when no one understands Greek, it will profit no one.

2006/12/21 5:07Profile
EVAVGELIST

PERRIS CA

Re:

In the New Testament being filled with the Holy Spirit came with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues. I’m not referring to John the Baptist, “Luke 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. John was considered an Old Testament Prophet and he was filled with the Spirit from his mother’s womb. When I’m talking about the infilling of the Spirit I’m referring to after Jesus was glorified. John 7:39 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.

About Paul being filled with the Spirit, your right, he was filled with the Spirit. I think you might have missed a verse. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 14:18 I THANK MY GOD, I SPEAK WITH TONGUES MORE THAN YE ALL I think he spoke in tongues as well.

As far as Scripture always pointing out speaking in tongues: In some contexts it is necessary to apply the hermeneutical rule of necessary inference.

For example, Acts 8:13-17 13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done. 14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: 16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Here we have believers who were already baptized yet did not receive the Holy Ghost. Then here comes the Apostles, they laid their hands on them and they also received the Holy Ghost.

How do you think they knew the others received the Holy Ghost? Well what happens when someone receives the Holy Ghost? SCRIPTURE INTERPRETS SCRIPTURE.

Acts 10:44-45 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Once again how did they know? Keep reading…..

Acts 10:46a For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.

I think what you do not understand is that the baptism of the Spirit (with the evidence of tongues) is for all believers who will receive. The gift as in 1Cor 12 is given as The Spirit sees fit. 1 Corinthians 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as HE (THE SPIRIT) will.

Comment>This is very simple why should I speak Greek when no one understands Greek, it will profit no one.

I guess you just don’t understand. I’m not speaking to a Greek, I’m not speaking to a Mexican, I’m not speaking to a Japanese…….I’m speaking to an Almighty God that understands everything.

1 Corinthians 14:2 2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men (NOT UNTO MAN, NOT UNTO MAN, NOT UNTO MAN) but unto God (UNTO GOD, UNTO GOD, UNTO GOD: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

NOT UNTO MAN BUT UNTO GOD, Josh

2006/12/23 22:11Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

This is not a proof text for speaking in tongues that no one understands. This is a admonition to speak in understanding for the upbuilding of the Church. Love and Prophecy, that is the teaching of the Word of God in the Church that all may come to the knowledge of the Son of God. The Holy Spirit does not teach in unknown tongues and He does not expect any in the church to either.

When you read 1 Corinthians 14, read it in context of Paul's admonition not to be as a barbarian to believers or unbelievers, mad. When you speak in the Church speak with understanding. When you prophesy another prophet must be present even to make sure there is not heresy, and if necessary even more to proof the prophet.

Again, why do you speak in an unknown tongue? Is it feelings, spiritual pride, or do you interpret that you may understand even what you are saying to God. How does God answer you, in your speaking in unknown tongues. Does He answer in tongues or understanding. I believe in Jesus Christ. 5 words or 10,000 no one understands.

Merry Christmas

2006/12/24 0:35Profile
EVAVGELIST

PERRIS CA

Re:

2. ‘For he who speaketh in a Tongue, not to men doth he speak, but to God, for no man heareth him (to any purpose). This meaning of ἀκούειν comes out clearly in comparing Acts 9:7 and 22:9. In the one place the men hear the voice; in the other they did not hear the voice of Him who was speaking to Saul, i.e. they heard a sound but did not hear it as words [Page 306] addressed to any one. Also in the story of Babel; Συγχέωμεν ἐκεῖ αὐτῶν τὴν γλῶσσαν, ἵνα μὴ ἀκούσωσιν ἕκαστος τὴν φωνὴν τοῦ πλησίον (Gen. 11:7; comp. 42:23). Verse after verse shows that speaking in foreign languages cannot be meant. Tongues were used in communing with God, and of course this was good for those who did so (v. 4). Tongues were a sort of spiritual soliloquy addressed partly to self, partly to Heaven. Compare the proverb, Sibi canit et Musis. It is equally clear that οὐδεὶς ἀκούει does not mean that Tongues were inaudible, or that no one listened to them, but that no one found them intelligible. One might as well have heard nothing.
πνεύματι δὲ λαλεῖ μυστήρια. ‘As it is in the spirit that he speaketh what are in effect mysteries.’ Explanatory use of δέ; not uncommon after a negative, but in v. 4 without a negative. ‘In the spirit,’ but not ‘with the understanding’ (v. 14), and therefore unintelligible to others. Μυστήριον in the N.T. commonly means ‘truth about God, once hidden, but now revealed.’ In this sense it is very common in St Paul: see Lightfoot on Col. 1:26 and Swete on Mark 4:2; Beet on 1 Cor. 3:4, p. 40. Mysteries must be revealed to be profitable; but in the case of Tongues without an interpreter there was no revelation, and therefore no advantage to the hearers. See Hatch, Essays in Bibl. Grk. pp. 57 f.

I speak in tongues because I am a participant in God’s Kingdom, his Spirit moves in and through his children today.
What types of things happen when someone prays in tongues?
I remember hearing a Jack Coe sermon about this subject, a woman woke up in the midnight hour with a burden for prayer. She claimed the Spirit of God woke her up. She began to pray in the Spirit, her mind was unfruitful at the time, yet she persisted in fervent prayer. She later talked with her Son who was on a tour on a military ship. Her Son was sharing how they were struck with a torpedo and the ship should have sunk. She asked her son when it was struck; it happened to be the same time Spirit woke her up to pray. Later on she knew what she was praying for. By the way she was praying in tongues.

We do not walk by feelings we walk by faith. Many times when we walk by faith we may indeed sense a feeling.:-)

As far as speaking in tongues in the Church, 1 Corinthians 14:27 27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. I would indeed interpret with a prophetic utterance.
When I speak in tongues he answers me in Old English, but this is me I can’t speak for everyone.

Merry Christmas, Josh

Robertson, A., & Plummer, A. (1911). A critical and exegetical commentary on the First epistle of St. Paul to the Corinthians. Series title also at head of t.-p. (305). New York: C. Scribner's Sons.

2006/12/24 16:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy