With Mary at the Master's feet!
Be this my happy choice —
My only care, delight, and bliss,
My joy, my heaven on earth, be this —
To hear the bridegroom's voice.
-Charles Wesley

2006/11/30 14:53Profile

Re: With Mary at the Master's feet

This made me think of a little book about the life of Helen Ewan by James Stuart, 'She Was Only 22'. Here is the excerpt that the piece by Charles Wesley reminded me of:

"In her prayer life, Helen was such an example to us all. She arose each morning around five o'clock to commune with her Lord. She would not put on the heat in her cold little room or seek to make herself comfortable in any way, feeling she could be more alert in the cold. And besides, those for whom she would be praying in foreign lands were not sitting in comfort.
She would begin her communion with praise and worship. She then read the Word to warm her heart. She remember the words of her fellow-Scot, R. Murray McCheyne, [b]"It is the look that saves, but it is the gaze that sanctifies." Helen gazed with rapture into the face of her Lord.[/b] I could not mention to you the expressions of adoration which she wrote down in her diary after such times with her Lord. They are too sacred for publication."

Taken from "She was Only 22, The story of Helen Ewan of Scotland. A Fragrant, Dynamic Life" by James Alexander Stewart.
I just recently read this little book and was extremely blessed.

2006/11/30 19:19
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Very beautiful posts on this thread. I haven't seen Charles Wesley in these forums in a long time! Joy, thank you for that great excerpt. It warmed my heart to read of the cold room. R.M. McCheyne is a great inspiration for me as well.

The Lord bless you for posting this. I have been truly edified.

Brother Paul

2006/11/30 19:53Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: With Mary at the Master's feet

Matthew Henry's Commentary on Mat.11:28

"Rest for the soul is the most desirable rest.The only way, and a sure way to find rest for our souls, is to sit at Christ's feet and hear His word. The understanding finds rest in the knowledge of God and Jesus Christ, and is there abundantly satisfied. The affections find rest in the love of God and Jesus Christ, and meet with that in them which gives them an abundant satisfaction; quietness and assurance for ever. This rest is to be had with Christ for all those who learn of Him."

2007/1/9 15:34Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy