SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : the sentence of death

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MattChenier

Longview,WA

the sentence of death

I have gotten hung up on this verse. My concordance says the word sentence here means "an answer." I still don't quite understand the fullness of this verse. I have read it in context with the verses around it, especially vs 8, but i haven't quite gotten what I feel is there. Can anybody expound on this vs 9 for me?

Is Paul saying we have the sentence(answer) FOR death in ourselves. Meaning we have what we need to overcome death living in us.

or.. Is he saying something to the effects of ... We have accepted death to self, knowing that it is God which has the power to deliver, not us.

Possibly it means both?

My concordance says ...

ajpovkrima Apokrima (ap-ok'-ree-mah);
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Neuter, Strong #: 610

1 an answer
2Co. 1:9 where the meaning is "on asking myself whether I should come out safe from mortal peril, I answered 'I must Die'"

This gives some account to my second theory, but I don't really feel it satisfies my spirit on this scripture. I think its because I don't really understand what their trying to say in their explanation.

2006/11/25 16:30Profile
dohzman

Re: the sentence of death

1)I trust you've been diligent about prayer asking the Holy Spirit to give you understanding.
2) Have you checked the dofferent commentaries on this passage? e-sword.net has some commentaries you can download to that free software that may be of help.
After you've chewed on it awhile I give you my input, also one more thing, put these scriptures in thier historical context and see what you find out. God Bless, keep on digging you'll get that nugget of gold, digg just a little deeper :-) ...God Bless

2006/11/25 17:41Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: the sentence of death

2 Corinthians 1:10 Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;

What have we been delivered of? The spirit of Satan is no longer our spirit, but the Spirit of Christ is now our life. We are delivered in spirit.

What are we being delivered from? Our old man, the old mind ruled by the spirit of Satan. Our soul mind is being delivered by the Mind of Christ, that we now possess.

What will we be delivered from? We will be delivered in body at the resurrection of our bodies from the dead or changed in the twinkling of an eye and so shall we ever be with the Lord, with a Body just like His.

Saved in spirit, being saved in our soul mind, will be saved in body.

Delivered, doth deliver, and shall be delivered.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/11/26 20:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy