SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Wal-Mart boycott over gays called off

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Wal-Mart boycott over gays called off

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

NEW YORK - A conservative group that had called on supporters to boycott Wal-Mart’s post-Thanksgiving day sales to protest the retailer’s support of gay-rights groups withdrew its objections Tuesday, saying the company had agreed to stay away from controversial causes.
The American Family Association, which had been asking supporters to stay away from Wal-Mart on Friday and Saturday — two of the busiest shopping days of the year — said it was pleased by a statement the company issued Tuesday.
While stressing its commitment to diversity and equality, Wal-Mart said in its statement that it “will not make corporate contributions to support or oppose highly controversial issues unless they directly relate to our ability to serve our customers.” ...

more info: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15835445/

2006/11/23 1:27Profile
MattChenier

Longview,WA

Re: Wal-Mart boycott over gays called off

when i read this article in the paper at work today, i with all honesty said to myself, "somebody has been praying." Way to go "salt of the earth" :)

2006/11/23 1:32Profile
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Aye, what a deft political move!

...Hey, look, we're tickin' people off. Let's see, so we want to support the gay and lesbian movements by putting our name on a piece of paper, maybe even actively sticking our person in on the affairs of such. That's good marketing, if only for three years from now.

But everyone else seems to not like it.

I guess we'll just tell them we won't give them money. We're aiming to take it anyway, it's not false advertising. And it will sidestep the whole fact that our man is still inside helping to guide decisions and standardize a marketing ploy.

So Wal-Mart is still doing its best to take both sides without conflict, and why are we happy that all of a sudden they decide to only do what they originally intended?

2006/11/23 9:20Profile
caldwell1

Rockland MA

Hey :-) there alot im wondering about in re: to this boycott which has been called off,that had to do with wal-marts support for gay people.not so much this specifically but a general movement within the body of Christ to at the very least give an appearance of judging people through political means.In other words this is what these people and i emphasize the word people (Yes sinners as well) People that Jesus Christ loves actively as we speak and "....not willing that any should perish,but that all should come to repentance" 2 peter 3:9. Considering God's heart for fallen man I am left wondering how would Jesus Christ handle these types of political issues.perhaps this isnt strickly political but there are many similar issues where i wonder if the church is trying to change the hearts of sinners thru legislation rather than building bridges with these people who have been granted the gift of life here with the oppotunity for the gift of repentance in salvation and eternal life thru Jesus's blood.In a nutshell i offer for comment in my wondering, has the church lost its vision to reach the lost thru "speaking the truth in love" (the whole gospel in all its power to convict and show God's love)or have we largely decided that God kingdom is partially here on earth.Or is the "Kingdom of God within us" Luke 17:21 a spiritual kingdom based in God's Almighty power working thru Humility in love.The Kingdom of God seems to me about God reaching out thru saved sinners like us to reach a very lonely world in great pain.and again just wondering Looking for whats God's will is thru all the stuff we deal with on a daily basis. are we to be involved politically or are we to be like Jesus in His mission "Seek and to save that which is lost" John 3:17 I see our hearts to be like Jesus in our approach as He says in Luke 4:18-19 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor;he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted,to preach deliverance to the captives,and recovering of sight to the blind,to set at liberty them that are bruised,to preach the acceptable year of the Lord" and again i share these wonderings looking for answers,God's answers in the crazy world we live in.I am a simple man trying to walk how Jesus wants me to and wondering if our focus is ok or gotten off track from how Jesus intends us to be.will someone help me understand whats God's perception is on these issues.in Humility an gentleness please offer me some understanding.I hope this post doesn't go too far from the wal-mart issue. i believe its is part of a larger picture that we need to think about. thanks an God bless you!!! :-)

2006/11/26 22:42Profile
dohzman

Something to Consider

I think there's something terribly wrong with us here in the Ole' USA, I'm speaking of the Church of Jesus Christ here in America. We read stories like this and we get all up in arms, when the reality is that we shouldn't be so intertwined with "things" anyway. We are those who are suposed to store our treasures in heaven, not earthlytreasure do we desire. When we find our weak flesh desiring things that's when we take a fresh grip on the cross and die to self.

This story saddens me, it shows me just how worldly the christian community is, if by not shopping at walmart we can hurt that store, than we have already lost the battle against the love of the world and the "things " to offer.

1Jo 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1Jo 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
1Jo 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever.

2006/11/26 23:17Profile
BereanMinded

Re: Something to Consider

That is unbelievable that they caved in, they really think Christians shop at WalMart? weird I wonder if any do?

2006/12/24 1:08Profile

Re:

We dont have much choice here and many of my neighbours work there for minimum pay.
I object to any ungodliness in my community if I can - only the three monkeys of the world and their followers do nothing .
jj

2006/12/30 0:46

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy