SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : A QUAKE THAT SHOOK ENGLAND by brother Greg

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 A QUAKE THAT SHOOK ENGLAND by brother Greg

[b]A Quake That Shook England[/b]
[i]by brother Greg[/i]

George fox: a powerful prophetic voice in england

UNADULTERATED CHRISTIANITY

"George Fox alone has, without human learning, done more than any other reformer in Protestant Christendom towards the restoration of real, primitive, unadulterated Christianity and the destruction of priest craft, superstition, and ridiculous, unavailing rites and ceremonies." - Leonard Ravenhill

As an earthquake shakes the earth bringing keen awareness to its activity so our subject George Fox quaked with such force that the england was made aware of this young firebrand in the hand of the Lord. With not man as his teacher but God; he brought messages upon common folk and priests alike, with prophetic force and unction this mans voice shattered the religious status quo of the day. As Leonard Ravenhill remarks of this man, ""Though he made others shake, no man could make him shake." Clothed in an leather suit, boots and hat, he appeared much like a John the Baptist character to the church of England professors of religion.

In the beginning of the Journal of George Fox he entails the reason of writing the accounts of his life: "That all may know the dealings of the Lord with me... to prepare and fit me for the work unto which he had appointed me." George Fox was an God appointed, His calling by the Spirit of God, His life was wholly given to Christ the saviour of mens souls. He took no heed to professors, books, men, but being numb to the things of earth he desired earnestly for reality and truth in God.

STRANGER TO ALL

George Fox was born in 1624, and was raised in an religious home in the shoemaker trade. Being keenly aware of the spiritual he had many experiences of God in his heart as the spirt of God was wooing this young man to Himself. At the age of 19 he had familiarity with some puritans who at peradventure one day at a tavern had him to drink, so much so their worldly actions grieved George Fox to a point of leaving and not being able to sleep that entire night. As He sought the Lord with tears the Lord spoke to his servant saying: "Thou seest how young people go together into vanity, and old people into the earth; thou must forsake all, young and old, keep out of all, and be as a stranger to all." And this he did! Obeying the voice of the Lord he left his town, his family, his life, without any notice or farewell's this desperate young men left as Abraham of old left 'and he went out, not knowing whither he went.' Passing from town to town professors of religion where keen to speak to this unusual young man but as he confesses in his journal, "but I was afraid of them: for I was sensible they did not possess what they professed."

For the next few years his time was spent in agony of body and soul, being grieved at the state of religion and man's hearts, even so much that at points in time he wished in his own words: "I had never been born." Then came a voice to him as clear as the one that called him from his home: "There is one, even Jesus Christ, that can speak to thy condition.' and he says 'When I heard it, my heart did leap for joy.

David Smithers an contemporary revival historian shares some great insight into this remarkable life: "Soon after George Fox began to preach, he had a remarkable spiritual experience that lasted fourteen days. A certain Mr. Brown, while on his death bed prophesied many great things concerning Fox. "When this man was buried," says Fox, "a great work of the Lord fell on me." During this mighty baptism of the Spirit, Fox received a remarkable gift of discernment. "He seemed to be able to read the character of men by looking at them." Miraculous healing also accompanied his ministry. Through prayer and the laying on of hands, the sick were often healed and devils were cast out to the glory of Christ. When George Fox preached men would shake and tremble. "The name Quaker was given to Fox and his followers because of the quaking of the men who came to scoff but stayed to pray." This remarkable power seemed to accompany the preaching of Fox wherever he went. Fox preached that Jesus Christ is the author of a faith which purifies and gives victory over sin. He fervently exhorted men to pursue complete holiness rather than empty religious ceremonies. As a result, he was often beaten, stoned and driven out of town. It is estimated that perhaps no other man since the time of the Reformation was persecuted and imprisoned as often as George Fox. He usually went about the country on foot, dressed in his famous suit of leather clothes, which it is believed he made himself. He often slept outside under a tree or in some haystack. Fox also often pointed out that what was commonly called the Church was only a building. He boldly declared that only the fervent believers of Christ were the living stones of the true Church."

A FREE GOSPEL

The calling out of hirelings in the church was something that George Fox did regularly, he had a peculiar spiritual gifting of being able to discern true and spurious profession. He seemed to trumpet this message against the selling of Christ and religion with a burdened jealous heart, much in the likes of Christ Himself toppling the moneychangers tables. The worldly spirit of the priests made him suffer: and when he heard the bells ring to call worshippers to the steeple-houses, it struck him to the heart, 'for it was just like a market-bell to gather people together that the priest might set forth his ware to sale. Oh, the vast sums of money that are gotten by trade they make of selling the Scriptures, and by their preaching... notwithstanding the Scriptures were given forth freely, and Christ commanded his ministers to preach freely."

Another point that touches at the very heart of George Fox's ministry was the telling people that God has come to teach them Himself. It is brought out clearly in his journal when he said: "These things I did not see by the help of man, nor by the letter, though they are written in the letter, but I saw them in the light of the Lord Jesus Christ, and by his immediate Spirit and power, as did the holy men of God, by whom the Holy Scriptures were written."

He further illustrates this important truth of not just having the scriptures for teaching but the Holy Spirit Himself who is the one that the scriptures came from and He is the one that leads into all truth. He gives this truth to a congregation in 1649: "And when I came there, all the people looked like fallow ground, and the priest, like a great lump of earth, stood in his pulpit above. He took for his text these words of Peter, 'We have also a more sure word of prophecy, whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day-star arise in your hearts.' And he told the people that the Scriptures were the touchstone and judge by which they were to try all doctrines, religions, and opinions... I.... was made to cry out and say, 'Oh, no, it is not the Scriptures,' ... But I told them what it was, namely, the Holy Spirit, by which the holy men of God gave forth the Scriptures... for it led into all Truth, and so gave the knowledge of all Truth. For the Jews had the Scriptures, and yet resisted the Holy Ghost, and rejected Christ... and took upon them to try their doctrines by the Scriptures, but erred in judgement, and did not try them aright, because they tried without the Holy Ghost. Now as I spoke thus amongst them, the officers came and took me away and put me into prison, a pitiful stinking place."

HOLY MEN'S WORDS

George Fox taught one subject very strongly which he faced much opposition and that is purity and holiness of the Christian life. Hear the lament of Fox over this opposition to the truth: "But they could not endure to hear of purity, and of victory over sin and the devil. They said they could not believe any could be free from sin on this side of the grave. I bade them give over babbling about the Scriptures, which were holy men's words, whilst they pleaded for unholiness. Then I bade them forbear talking of the Scriptures, which were the holy men's words; "for," said I, "the holy men that wrote the Scriptures pleaded for holiness in heart, life, and conversation here; but since you plead for impurity and sin, which is of the devil, what have you to do with the holy men's words?"

He had a boldness before men because he had a familiarity with God. Therefore he could say: “When the Lord sent me forth into the world, He forbade me to put off my hat to any, high or low.” To live for the glory of God was his supreme desire over worldly vanity and success. The Lord spoke directly and clearly to his heart and he walked in that revelation. “The Lord showed me, so that I did see clearly, that he did not dwell in these temples which men had commanded and set up, but in people's hearts . . . his people were his temple, and he dwelt in them.” Oh to realize the boldness and zeal that Fox preached and lived in was because of the surety of the voice of God that he heard. Are you hearing God? Has he given you a clear strong word? God is desiring to speak and anoint men for His purposes in our day. Oh how we need many George Fox’s to rise up and speak against the modern contraption of church and proclaim fearlessly the apostolic truth’s long lost.

Thomas Ellwood a fellow 'friend' speaks of George Fox: "This Holy man was raised up by God in an extraordinary manner, for an extraordinary work, even to awaken the sleeping world. He was valiant for truth, bold in asserting it, patient in suffering for it, unwearied in laboring in it, steady in his testimony to it; immovable as a rock."

William Penn one of the early leaders of the Quaker movement wrote of Fox: "His ministry and writings show they are from one that was not taught of man... Nor were they notional or speculative, but sensible and practical truths, tending to conversion and regeneration and the setting up of the kingdom of God in the hearts of men... He had an extraordinary gift in opening the Scriptures. He would go to the marrow of things... But above all he excelled in prayer."

The impact of his life can be hardly measured, his name carries along with it the life that was burnt out for God for on his tombstone reads simply: "Here lies George Fox!"

2006/11/20 3:24Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re: A QUAKE THAT SHOOK ENGLAND by Greg Gordon

Great article Greg,

Indeed we serve a "living" Christ, and that He shows Himself to whomsoever He wills.
I didn't know William Penn was also a leader of the "Quakers". His book "No Cross, No Crown" continually blesses me with truth.
This account of George Fox's life living in a real communion with the Holy Spirit indeed is a truth that needs to be told. It is the same Lord that blesses believers today...the same Lord Christ Jesus whom speaks of the same precious promises available to God's children today...the same Holy Spirit that teaches humble, God-fearing saints the great mysteries of God today as in the times of the Quaker movement.
I thank God for the ministry the Lord has led you to pursue, in which I came across over the Net at a time when wondering, "Lord, where are all your blessed, faithful children these days that too are fed-up with Christ-less religious games, and desire the Truth of the ages?"
Oh, the fellowship I receive from articles such as these :-D The Lord greatly bless you young man!!! Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might ;-)
richie

2006/11/20 4:18Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Some responses to the article:

Quote:
In 1749 an earthquake hit London, England, 10,000s flocked to the open spaces in fear, and for saftey. George Whitefield, at midnight went and preached to a mulitude at Hyde Park.

Quote:
Amen brother Greg.

George Fox is a character we ALL need to be familiar with. I read a biography of him a while back and it was truly a blessing and major confirmation to everything the Lord had shown me.

I would thoroughly reccomend everybody who is interested in the TRUE prophetic to study up on this mighty prophet of God.

I read from his journal that he was taken up into glory and allowed to see the holy city New Jerusalem, and received a revelation on the nature of all things that were made and the names given them according to their nature. With this revelation, he was able to formulate herbs from the earth that was absolutely breakthrough in medical technology for that day and was very effective in bringing healing through the use of God's natural resources.

On another occasion he said in his journal, "I saw there was a great crack to go throughout the earth, and a great smoke to go as the crack went; and that after the crack there should be a great shaking: this was the earth in people's hearts, which was to be shaken before the seed of God raised out of the earth. And it was so; for the Lord's power began to shake them, and great meetings we began to have, and a mighty power and work of God there was amongst people, to the astonishment of both people and preists." As he went about to preach, the power of the Holy Ghost would so come upon the hearers of the Word that they would all begin to shake.

There were occasions when he would stand up to preach against error in a steeple-house, and the congregation would throw him out and beat him down. One time this happened, and they thought he was dead. Then, he popped back up and started preaching again! So they beat him to death again, this time sure he was dead. Well, he popped back up again and continued preaching. Then they all got scared and started shaking!

There was another time when he was in America, that one of his Quaker preachers was on his way to Fox's abode and the guy fell off his horse and broke his neck. He lay there dead. Fox, upon hearing the news, arrived at the scene a couple hours later. The guy was long dead. So fox knelt down by his brother, prayed, then he grabbed his neck and snapped it back into place, praying. The life came back into the guy! The guy slept the rest of the night and woke up bright and early the next morning with Fox, and the two left on horseback to go to their original destination to preach, perfectly fine.

I believe Fox landed in jail a little over 100 times during his life. Let us learn to endure hardness as good soldiers of Jesus Christ by imitating his example in the face of hardship.

Keep writing these awesome articles Greg!

2006/11/20 11:21Profile
myfirstLove

Quote:
Keep writing these awesome articles Greg!

2006/11/20 12:55Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

more feedback:

Quote:
Thanks for the post and for Josef's further info, that is a picture of what TRUE kingdom ministry should look like today.

Such a picture makes obviouse the ineptness of our entertainment focused ministry, or seeker-friendly movements.

It is the word in action, as true ministry must always be.
We should not be content until mulititudes of such ministers are raised up.

Quote:

An excellent, inspiring article. Many thanks, keep them coming.Matthew.

2006/11/20 15:32Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here are a few photos of George Fox:

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myalbum/photos/thumbs/362.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myalbum/photos/thumbs/359.jpg[/img]

2006/11/23 23:27Profile
kdbutton

O God, when [b]thou wentest forth before [/b] thy people, when thou didst march through the wilderness; Selah:

[b]The earth shook,[/b]

the heavens also dropped at the [b]presence of God: [/b]

[even] Sinai itself [was moved] at the presence of God, the God of Israel. Psalm 68:7-8

Father we want Your Presence to shake things up once again, go before you people, come and drop your rain, let us see the healing and revival of this dry land. In Jesus' name.

2006/11/24 9:57Profile
RevivalArmy

DETROIT, MI

Re:

Quote:
The Journal of George Fox is one of the great religious autobiographies, and has its place with the “Confessions” of St. Augustine, Saint Teresa’s “Life,” Bunyan’s “Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners,” the “Life of Madam Guyon, Written by Herself,” and John Wesley’s “Journal.”

I would reccomend George Fox's journal to those who are interested in learning more about him: http://www.strecorsoc.org/gfox/title.html

2006/11/24 10:42Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here is a audio reading of this article:

[b]A Quake That Shook England (reading)[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=15735

2007/7/17 3:27Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Just a question, but have you guys really studied George Fox's theology? If you have, you would be more careful before calling him a prophetic voice. I used to have a high regard for him from having read Ravenhill. But then a while back I actually took to study him for myself. While, in my opinion he said some good things, and did some good things, he was far from being sound Biblically. And his errant theology reflected itself practically too, so as to make him do things that frankly weren't very becoming of any man of God. What he claimed were Spirit inspired insights from the inner Light were often nothing more than shallow misinterpretations of the Scripture.

I fear some of you have taken a Ravenhillian romanticism towards anybody who does anything peculiar in the name of God, without trying the spirits to see if they are of God.

2007/7/17 6:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy