SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Faith

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
rookie

Re:

Now everyone starts his life in the Lord with a carnal mind. We all begin as babes in Christ. Look at Paul's life. He studied the Holy Scripture under Gamaliel. He rose above many of his peers. And then Christ met him one day. Paul then spent 10 to 14 years with Christ before his ministry began.

"For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ...And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers...But when it pleased God, who seperated me from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, [b]to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles,...[/b]" Galatians 1:12-16

The Holy Spirit was sent to teach us the righteousness which comes from our Savior. This is the difference between the law and the Abrahamic Covenant. The Holy Spirit is a down payment which leads us to the full redemption that is in Christ. "Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us...But God demonstrates His own love toward us, [b]in that while we were still sinners[/b], Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, [b]much more[/b] having been reconciled, [b]we shall be saved by His life.[/b]" Romans 5:5-1

We are still sinners when Christ's blood is given as an atonement for us. Then Paul writes, once reconciled we are saved from wrath through Him. As babes in Christ, we follow Him who is faithful. He is the author and finisher of our faith. A faith that is more precious than gold and silver. We learn of a heavenly treasure.

It is the Life that saves us. The Life is the grace that is given to us who follow Him in faith. We are saved by grace through faith. Grace is God teaching us, giving us a new hope, softening our hearts in order that we might love Him who first loved us. The Life revealed in us is salvation.

But how do we know the voice?

In Christ
Jeff

2004/2/27 11:15Profile
rookie

Re:

A faith that saves replaces our hopes with His hopes. A faith that saves gives evidence of His hopes worked out in our lives.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/2/27 17:23Profile
rookie

Re:

There is this man his name is K.P. Yohannan. He is one of the leaders in the ministry called "Gospel for Asia." If you have time check the website, this man has the fire!

Brother K.P. tells a story where a woman came to him and gave him a large diamond ring. He said it must have been worth about $25,000. That money would support a lot of native missionaries in Asia. Yet he tells of a voice he heard the following night. The voice said to him, "give it back." K.P. called back, "I rebuke you Satan!" The voice replied, "I am not Satan!" So the next day K.P. gave instructions to give the ring back. A few years later, the woman that donated the ring came to him during a missions conference. Both her parents had been missionaries who had died in the field, and this ring was the only thing she had left. She lived in a small apartment carrying on the work of the Lord. (I may not have all the detail correct, please forgive me) The point is the Lord wanted her to have the ring.

I say all of this because many times we as Christians hear the voice, but attribute the voice to Satan our accuser. But what does Paul write? "For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish." Galatians 5:17 James writes, "Or do you think that the Scriptures says in vain, "The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously"? James 4:5

Judaism during the time of Christ had the Written Law, and then the Oral Law. The Oral Law was taught from teacher to student, generation to generation. The oral tradition had come about because the Jews understood that the 613 laws given to them were not sufficient to enable them to obey the law. Likewise today, when we read that Jesus came to fulfill the law, We too must understand as the Jews did. There must be an oral law.

When Jesus commanded the woman caught in adultery, "Sin no more." John 8:11 He meant every word of it. This is the law of God. But what does He say after this command? He promises, "I am the Light of the world, He who [b]follows Me shall not walk in darkness[/b], but have the light of life."
John 8:12 The Spirit will lead us out of darkness. If our flesh is contrary to the Spirit, He will accuse us. He will correct us. He will discipline us.

Listen to Him who promises, he who follows Me will not walk in darkness.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/3/1 11:50Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Hi Jeff.

Yes, KP and GFA are outstanding, you might want to check out these:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=112]KP Yohannan[/url]

Quote:
Paul then spent 10 to 14 years with Christ before his ministry began.

Seemed to have heard this before, curious though, how did you get those numbers?

[i]Gal 1:18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.[/i]

From John Gill:

[i]Not three years after his return to Damascus, but after his conversion;[/i]

Mike

2004/3/1 12:17Profile
rookie

Re:

An understanding of the chronological order of events in Paul's ministry can be very valuable as a tool for the study of Acts and Paul's epistles. The book of Acts and the epistles of Paul sometimes tell us the length of time between one event and another. However, determining the year in which an event took place can require some research. It is most helpful to know the year of the beginning or end of the reigns of political rulers that are mentioned in the text. Some of the more helpful dates in studying the events in Paul's ministry are the death of King Aretas of Syria in 40 AD, the beginning of the reign of Claudius Caesar as Emperor of Rome in 41 AD, the death of Herod Agrippa I in 44 AD, the succession of Felix's reign as Procurator in Judea by Porcius Festus in 60 AD.

Here is a summary of the years of Paul's journeys and his epistles. The detailed chronology follows this section. I have also included a map of Paul's journeys below since this article refers to so many different geographical locations. All of the major cities identified, but you may wish to look on a more detailed map of Paul's journeys as well. Such a map may be found in the back of many Bibles and in some encyclopedias.

At Damascus 37-40 AD
First Journey 45-47 AD
Second Journey 51-53 AD
Third Journey 54-58 AD
Imprisonment in Judea 58-60 AD
Voyage to Rome 60-61 AD
Imprisonment in Rome 61-63 AD

Sorry for the heresay. In reference to the laying on of hands by the elders on Barnabus and Saul is the point I am refering to. Paul was called to be an apostle to the Gentiles. So instead of 10 to 14 years, it is probably less than 10 years.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/3/1 13:27Profile
rookie

Re:

"However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will [b]guide[/b] you into all truth; for He will not [b]speak[/b] on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will [b]speak[/b] ; and He will [b]tell[/b] you things to come. He will [b]glorify [/b] Me, for He will take of what is Mine and [b]declare[/b] it to you." John 16:13-14

Is it not clear that the Holy Scriptures teach that God speaks? As I stated in the previous post, the Pharisees knew that there was an Oral Law. Their mistake was that in their own common sense, their own carnal minds, they made up rules without knowledge. Rules which condemned Jesus to death. I believe most of the western world religion is based on the carnal mind. We talk about the Holy Spirit but we deny what He is telling us. "He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; the Lord shall hold them in derision." Psalm 2:4

We have gay bishops, we have abortion, we have preachers saying once saved always saved. [b]I ask saved from what? I ask saved for what?[/b]

The outcome of following the Holy Spirit will bring about the life of Jesus in the individual who hears and does the word. His life will begin to be conformed into the gospel of Christ. A disciple will have the hope found in Matthew 5:3-10. A disciples life will show evidence of the work of God described in Matthew 5:3-10. Faith will grow in Jesus, the world and all it offers will disappear.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/3/2 11:22Profile
rookie

Re:

The words of Jesus are before us. He gives us a choice.

"Therefore whoever hears these saying of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man...But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man..."

The words of Jesus are before us. He gives us a warning.

"Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast our demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?" And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who [b]practice lawlessness.[/b]"

Jesus says follow Me and you will not walk in darkness but have the light of life. Those who practiced lawlessness could not be known by Christ because they made the choice of fools. They heard the words of Jesus, but did not do them.

The consequence of our choices defines the evidence of our faith. Faith in God or faith in self, choose ye this day.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/3/3 11:43Profile
rookie

Re:

Hebrews Chapter 11 is the base for which we see the definition of faith that saves.

"Now faith is the substance fo things hoped for..." vs 1. What was the substance of their hope? 'But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them." vs 16. Notice the word, desire. Does not the condition of our hearts, what it desires, the substance for which we strive? Which country do we desire? The OT saints desired the heavenly city.

Paul warns the Corinthians, "You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted by your own affections." He commands, "Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers." Our friendship with the world is not because we hang around unbelievers. Our friendship is much deeper than that. Those affections that Paul speaks of are worldly affections. The affections are the desires that drive ones life. So we see that a believer must make a choice. Choose to remain in the world, or as God commands, "Come out from among them." 2 Corinthians 6:12-18

What city do we choose daily. Today is the day of salvation.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/3/5 11:31Profile
rookie

Re:

Now the second part of the definition of faith is "the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1 This entire chapter is a testimony of the evidence given to us of how God directed the OT saints. With each testimony, the verse starts out, "By faith." Look to see the results of what faith brings.

Now replace the words, "By faith" with, "By saying yes Lord."
Go through the chapter, testimony by testimony. What do you see? This is our responsiblity. God speaks to us. He gives us directions. Our part is to choose to obey or not to obey.

Do you believe in Scripture when it says,"However when the Spirit of truth, has come, He will [b]guide[/b] you into all truth; for He will not [b]speak[/b] on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will [b]speak[/b] and He will [b]tell[/b] you things to come." What things do you think He will tell you that is to come in your life? He will convict each one of us in our sin. He will teach us of His righteousness. And He will turn us to do battle for those who are lost and in the grip of Satan.

Look to Luke chapter 7. Jesus marveled at the centurion's faith. If what I have wrote about the gospel being summed up in the beatitudes is true. You should find evidence of God's work being accomplished in the centurion. This is where faith, saving faith will lead us.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/3/8 11:21Profile
rookie

Re:

In the Revival Hymn, it begins, Awake! Awake! You sleepy Christians. Whose fault is it that we are sleepy? Whose fault is it if we are not hearing the voice of God?

Is God to blame? "For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect? Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar...But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unjust who inflicts wrath? Certainly not! For then how will God judge the world?" Romans 3:3-6

Well then if one's life is desolate, weak, and in bondage to sin whose fault is it? Only by faith will the life be turned around. Only by obeying His voice, the Holy Spirit, will one walk in the light of Life. He who follows Me will not walk in darkness but walk in the light of Life. This is Jesus' promise to us. Read Charles Finney's sermon, "God can not make a sinner happy."

In Christ
Jeff

2004/3/9 15:51Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy