SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Faith

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Faith

Sometimes you can distinguish the true by eliminating the false. Twice, in his letters to Timothy, Paul refers to 'faith unfeigned'. [1Tim 1:5, 2Tim 1:5] The KJV word 'unfeigned' is 'without hypocrisy'. The greek word hypocrite means actor. So there is a fake-faith, a pretend-faith as well as the genuine article. Part of Paul's purpose in writing 1Timothy was to produce genuine faith, non-fake faith. He links it with a pure heart and a good conscience.

The Lord rebuked people as 'oligopistos'; little faithed ones. This is interesting as 'oligos' can mean of short duration. This looks like 'flash in the pan' faith.

John 2:22-25 has a very important comment on faith.
22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.
23 ¶ Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.
24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

The emboldened words are pisteuO, the verb for belief. (pistos, is the noun, faith, belief] If we choose a word to carry the same sense through the passage we would have; many trusted in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. But Jesus did not trust himself to them, because he knew what was in man.

There are two things to notice.
1. there is a kind of 'faith', sometimes stimulated by impressions or miracles, upon which Christ cannot build.
2. you cannot have genuine 'faith' in a person until you know their genuine nature.

The faith that saves is faith in the character of God, revealed in Christ. Notice Paul's wonderful testimony from the shipwreck; I believe God, that is shall be even as it was told me. and that of Abraham; Abraham believed in the Lord, and it was accounted to him as righteousness.

These are men whose faith has come to rest not just in God's abilities but in His character. Genuine faith is not in promise or power but in a person.

2004/2/16 2:43Profile
rookie

Re:

Hi Jeremy,
Thankyou for your reponse. You wrote: "Verse 17 answers the questions posed in verses 14 and 15. (14) How can someone believe? (17) The message of the gospel(15) How can they hear the gospel without someone being sent to them? (17) The messagengers of the gospel are sent by the command (rhema)) of Christ."

I have two thoughts. First, I disagree with your analysis for verse 17. The point is that God did send the prophet Isaiah to preach the gospel. Verse 16 is the conclusion that Isaiah made from preaching the gospel. "But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our report?" The idea of hearing God is the force of this chapter. The idea of not believing the words of God is the subject for which they are denied His rest. That is why faith is tied in with hearing. One must hear before he can make a choice to believe or not to believe. Jesus many times said, He who has ears let him hear. The idea of hearing and obeying is summed up in verse 17.

Many heard the gospel through out the ministry of Jesus, the prophets, apostles, saints, and angels. Hearing the gospel preached does not imply faith. Believing unto obedience leads to trusting in God.

In the Strong's Concordance, the word rhema is translated, an utterance... The idea of those who wrote the Bible not knowing the greek language well, does not seem a plausible argument. First, the Scriptures are the inspired Word of God. Secondly, Paul was a Roman citizen, and most probably spoke Greek as a primary language.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/2/17 7:45Profile
rookie

Re:

Paul teaches about how man can hear the things of God. "But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. [b]Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.[/b] 1 Corinthians 2:10-12

You see the Corinthians had been given all things pertaining to Christ, yet it is the Spirit that communicates to the believer the depts of the knowledge, wisdom, and understanding. He speaks to us through the Holy Scripture. He gives us what is of Jesus.

Paul continues on in verse 14, "But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; [b]nor can he know them because they are spiritually discerned.[/b].." Paul identifies here who can understand the things of the Spirit of God. It is the Spirit who speaks to our hearts. He counsels us in the paths of righteousness. Faith comes from hearing the Spirit bring the word of God to life in the Holy Scriptures. Faith comes from hearing the Spirit convict us of sin. Faith comes from obeying the commands that Jesus speaks to us day by day. We stumble along the way but He is faithful. Those who obey what they hear, grow in trusting the Lord with their life.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/2/17 8:03Profile
rookie

Re:

"Then He went out from there and came to His own country, and His disciples followed Him. And when the Sabbath had come, He began to teach in the synagogue. And many [b]hearing[/b] Him were astonished, saying, "Where did this Man get these things? And what wisdom is this which is given to Him, that such mighty works are performed by His hands!...Now He could do no might work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them. [b]And He marveled because of their unbelief.[/b]" Mark 6:1-6

There are many instances in Scripture where this thought is brought out. Here the people acknowledged the power behind Jesus' ministry yet they did not want to believe the good news of the kingdom. As I have shared in the Gospel thread, the world does not see the evidence of humility, meekness, mournfulness, and low in spirit in the man who believes, as something that is valuable. The world's treasures are things that man can worship and obtain by his efforts. The kingdom's treasures are found by glorifying God. The door to the kingdom is open to those who will believe the words in the Bible. The question before us is, do we believe as Abram believed when God commanded him to leave his family and go to another country? Are the promises of God given to us in Scripture the substance of our hope? Is our life the evidence of obeying God and walking with Him? This is where faith begins.

"Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes, and I shall keep it to the end. Give me understanding, and I shall keep Your law; Indeed, I shall observe it with my whole heart. Make me walk in the path of Your commandments, for I delight in it. Incline my heart to Your testimonies, and not to covetousness. Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your way. Establish Your word to Your servant, who is devoted to fearing You." Psalm 119:33-38

We must begin by believing the Word.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/2/19 6:44Profile
rookie

Re:

It is of utmost importance to understand that faith is something that God teaches us. The beginning of our walk with Jesus begins with the Holy Scriptures.

"Therefore whoever [b]hears[/b] these sayings of Mine, [b]and does them[/b], I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock; and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock. But everyone who [b]hears[/b] these sayings of Mine, [b]and does not do them[/b], will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand; and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall." Matthew 7:24-27

The idea of hearing and then doing what Jesus says demonstrates our belief in His words. The idea of hearing and not doing is evidence of unbelief. Because there is no action, faith does not manifest itself in the believer. Jesus clearly gives us a choice to do or not to do. The blessings and the curses are real. For those who say, Yes Lord, even in the smallest of circumstances, they will begin to realize His faithfulness. We will begin to see His hand in all matters of our life. When the storms and trials come, we who have experience His faithfulness will rest on His promise. This is the rock, the foundation which will never be washed away.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/2/19 11:15Profile
rookie

Re:

So it is by hearing the word of God that faith is established by God into the hearts of men. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. [b]And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart."[/b] Deuteronomy 6:5-6. So it is God's grace, His work to put His word into our hearts. He is always waiting to speak to our hearts, are we listening?

So now, how are we saved by grace through faith? What is the outcome of God's work in us who hear?

In Christ
Jeff

2004/2/20 6:30Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Jeff,

You bring up some very interesting topics. I may have not been clear on what I was trying to say. There is a DEFINATE need to hear from God. I believe that in salvation, a person not only believes the message but meets with God. I was just looking at the use of the word Rhema in the sense that pentecostals, which I am one, have misunderstood it.

It's interesting that you should bring up the Lord's giving of the ten commandments. The septuagint translates them as the ten words or the ten logos :-) .

However, you and I would be in total aggreement that God still speaks to mens hearts and people need to hear from Him.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2004/2/20 7:51Profile
rookie

Re:

Paul writes that, "Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good." Romans 7:12

"But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, knowing this; that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, " 1 Timothy 1:8-10

"for the law made nothing perfect..." Hebrews 7:19

"Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin." Romans 3:20

So we have the Holy Scriptures which reveal God through His law. Yet this law only condemns man. The law condemned Adam as well as us. So where is the hope of the OT and NT saints?

Paul writes, "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Gal 5:14

"But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law." Gal 5:18

Jesus says, "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from law till all is fulfilled."

God's law condemns, Jesus enables us to fulfill the law. How does the Spirit work to free us from the law which condemns?

In Christ
Jeff

2004/2/24 15:41Profile
rookie

Re:

The law as we speak of it is not understood by most. Everyone is quick to say that by the works of the law no one is justified. This is true. But most do not understand what they are saying. I believe this has come about because of those who teach about grace. Many will teach about the imputation (sp) of grace. Yet these same teachers cannot teach about why grace or faith satisfies the law.

As I have posted in the previous thought, the law makes no one perfect. The law of God teaches us what sin is. This has always been true. The law condemned the OT and NT saints before they became heirs according to the promise. The law teaches us that we are sinners. The law of God convicts us that our thoughts and desires of our hearts are wrong. The law of God teaches us that there is only one truth. God's law is perfect and holy. We are imperfect and lost.

Now Paul writes, that by the works of the law no one is justified. What Scripture teaches is that man is given the law by God. The law teaches him what sin is. Yet, when man attempts in his carnal mind to satisfy the law, his attempts will never be acceptable. "For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand..." Romans 7:14-15 "For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. [b]Because the carnal mind is enmity against God, for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.[/b]" Romans 8:6-7

We can know that God's law is holy, righteous, and just. Yet we cannot escape the darkness of our life in the flesh. Look to all the examples given to us in the Gospels. The Pharisees stumbled because they sought to obey the law without looking to God in faith. "For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but [b]not according to knowledge.[/b] For they being [b]ignorant of God's righteousness[/b], and seeking [b]to establish their own righteousness[/b], have not [b]submitted[/b] to the righteousness of God." Romans 10:2-3

Meditate on these thoughts about the law. Man's doctrine is quick to say that we are depraved. Thus we can do nothing that will satisfy God's law. This is all true. But this is also where many fall short in understanding. Paul gives us the only solution to our depravity. "For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the [b]Spirit[/b],you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For as many as are [b]led[/b] by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God." Romans 8:13-14

In Christ
Jeff

2004/2/25 12:29Profile
rookie

Re:

Paul writes, "For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin; He condemned sin in the flesh." Romans 8:3

First Paul identifies the problem with the law. It was weak through the flesh. As I have stated prior, the law teaches us only what sin is. It teaches us what God requires of us.
It is only a tutor leading us to Christ. We cannot fulfill the law with our carnal minds. We have no knowledge of how to change what is wrong in us.

Now the second part of this verse points us to the only way. God sent His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin; HE CONDEMNED SIN IN THE FLESH. The ministry of Jesus show us how He overcame the weakness of mankind. Jesus followed the Holy Spirit. He is the forerunner leading us to the only path that one will be saved. We must follow the Holy Spirit.

To love God with all our being and to love one another fulfills the law. Sin in our lives prevents us from fulfilling the law. Jesus preaches, "I am the Light of the world. He who follows Me [b]shall not walk in darkness[/b], but have the light of life." John 8:12

Jesus came not to end the law but to fulfill it. Those who deny Him will walk in darkness. Those who choose to remain in the darkness will be condemned by the law. Those who obey the call of the Holy Spirit will know the Life that is revealed to them by the Holy Spirit. They will not walk in darkness. They will have the Eternal Life. Because Jesus gives to us what is His through the work of the Holy Spirit, we will learn of His righteousness. The fruit of the Holy Spirit in our lives will no doubt teach us how to love God with all our being and to love one another as He loves us.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/2/26 11:41Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy