Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Another Question for Arminians

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
lovegrace

Another Question for Arminians

Free will. Where is that in the bible?

I see Philemon 1:14 where it say 'free will' in the NASB but 'willingly' in the KJV.

Where is free will in the bible, just curious?

Even Calvinists can speak. I don't say I'm a Calvinist cause I don't fully understand what it entails, but just thought that this is something interesting to touch on. I have no answer, other than "Its not fully in the bible" (No real doctrine can be made of it)

Which, could easily change after this discussion.

2006/11/5 22:15Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: Another Question for Arminians

Free will is mans and Satan's try at proving God either being not fair, or surely God know's you will be like God and wants to keep it from you.

The words will of God occur in 300 verses, including 22 exact phrase matches shown first:

Mar 3:35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

Act 13:36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:

Rom 1:10 Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you.

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Rom 15:32 That I may come unto you with joy by the will of God, and may with you be refreshed.

1Cr 1:1 Paul, called [to be] an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes [our] brother,

2Cr 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy [our] brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:

2Cr 8:5 And [this they did], not as we hoped, but first gave their own selves to the Lord, and unto us by the will of God.

Gal 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

Eph 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Eph 6:6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;

Col 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus [our] brother,

Col 4:12 Epaphras, who is [one] of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.

1Th 4:3 For this is the will of God, [even] your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

1Th 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

2Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

Hbr 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

1Pe 2:15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:

1Pe 3:17 For [it is] better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

1Pe 4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of [his] time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

1Pe 4:19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls [to him] in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

1Jo 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Where is the will of man? Jhn 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.

The only conceivable free will of man is, we choose to sin and not to choose God. Christ is the will of God. Christ in you the Hope of Glory is the Will of God. Believing in the Name of Jesus Christ unto salvation is the will of God.

Jam 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, [and] easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

Christ is our wisdom, this is also the will of God. 1 Corinthians 1:27-30 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

In Christ: Phillip

2006/11/5 22:59Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Lovegrace asked...

Quote:
Where is free will in the bible, just curious?

The example given to us in the first man Adam. He was given the power of self-determination. God however did not give him or you or I the "right of self-determination."

A.W. Tozer teaches on this precept

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=2398

In Christ
Jeff

2006/11/6 4:28Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

There are neither Calvinist or Armenianist in Scriptures...only disciples of Christ. Do not follow the teachings of men for they are imperfect and will always miss the mark.

The Holy Spirit will teach you through Scripture. This is the promise of the New Covenant.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/11/6 4:35Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

we often want an it all figured out dont we? armenians and calvanist...god only have one sort of people.... holy.... show me one man that have a 100% doctrine in all his ways..there is none, calvanist armenian fundamental....call it what you want i follow jesus...i belive every word in the bible...i dont understand everything, but i dont have to understand it all..... i do know i understand as much as i need to, and i will understand as much as the holy spirit reveals to me.... its intresting to look at calvanist and armenian doctrine.... but they are just something to prove some points to some other people who disagree on what the bible says... God says what he meens and meens what he says...

2006/11/6 5:57Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

about the free will...some things i struggled whit before was...if god choose you to be a part of his bride even before he made the earth....... what part had you in that chooise? can we choose to undo what god decided and elected long before the earth even was made...?

2006/11/6 6:00Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Christinyou,

You didn't answer my question. I asked about FREE WILL, NOT God's will.

The rest of you except rookie seem to have some kind of anger or something, I'm just curious on different perspectives. I'm more willing to receive a correction and amend my ways (having done so already from Leaning to Armin, to leaning to Calvin) Non-the-less Christ is King and that's all that matters, but I still have a 'curiousity itch'.

Rookie. That's an interesting example.

But, I pose something back instead. When you watch a movie. In a movie, does any actor 'choose' anything?

Just a thought.

2006/11/6 18:41Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

lovegrace wrote:

Quote:
But, I pose something back instead. When you watch a movie. In a movie, does any actor 'choose' anything?

1Pet. 1:20 He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you...

Tozer writes something to the effect that before God created man, He had already provided the means of salvation for man. In the Scripture above, I see it as God's provision for mankind.

In other words, Christ was foreordained as the source for salvation, not the individual person. It is only through faith that we are taught by Christ to know "His life." This "life" is the script of the movie. Each actor behaves differently, yet in time, finds the unity of faith, because it is Christ who is revealing Himself to us. We begin to see the truth that delivers us from what holds us in bondage to the old man. And thus, the plot of the movie reveals the means of salvation...

In Christ
Jeff

2006/11/7 0:44Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Rookie. You didn't answer my question, instead, restated what I said in your own words.

Please, bluntly answer the question, and provide 2 scriptures because I got lost on your answer to my question that you quoted.

2006/11/7 17:53Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Lovegrace wrote:

Quote:
Rookie. You didn't answer my question, instead, restated what I said in your own words.

I did answer your question, but not from a worldy perspective but a biblical...

Job 36:7-14

"He does not withdraw His eyes from the righteous; but they are on the throne with kings, for He has seated them forever, and they are exalted, and if they are bound in fetters, held in the cords of affliction, then He tells them their work and their transgressions--that they have acted defiantly. He also opens their ear to instruction, and commands that they turn from iniquity. If they obey and serve Him, they shall spend their days in properity, and their years in pleasures. But if they do not obey, they shall perish by the sword, and they shall die without knowledge. But the hypocrites in heart store up wrath; they do not cry for help when He binds them. They die in youth, and their life ends among the perverted persons. He delivers the poor in their affliction, and opens their ears in oppression..."

This is the script according to Scripture. Look for what God does and what is required of man.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/11/7 19:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy