SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Ted Haggard...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Ted Haggard...

I was skeptical at first, reading the article on [url=http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=newsOne&storyID=2006-11-03T042335Z_01_N02276787_RTRUKOC_0_US-RELIGION-EVANGELICAL-SCANDAL.xml&WTmodLoc=Home-C2-TopNews-newsOne-2]reuters[/url]. But it looks like there may be some [url=http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/4557411.html]truth[/url] to the accusations.

Quote:
After a day of whirlwind controversy surrounding New Life Church and its leader Ted Haggard, who went on administrative leave earlier Thursday, the acting Senior Pastor, Ross Parsley tells KKTV 11 News that Pastor Haggard has admitted to some of the indiscretions.

Thursday morning, Mike Jones went on a Denver radio talk show and said Pastor Haggard paid him for sex over the past 3 years. Jones also claims Haggard did drugs with him. Pastor Parsley says Haggard admitted that some of the allegations are true, but not all of them. The church is not saying what Haggard admitted to.

Right now, the situation is under investigation by an independent panel of leaders from four outside churches. The leaders are from Colorado Springs, Larkspur, Westminster and Louisiana. The panel's role is to decide if Haggard will be exonerated, released from his duties or restored to his pastorship.

It's such a shame if there is any truth to these accusations... but what's more shameful is how many Christians, weak in their faith, who will be effected by this man's sin. How many skeptics will add this to their pile of reasons not to trust in a loving God.

I [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12598&forum=48]commented the other day[/url] that sexual sin exhists in our churches. Well I don't claim to be prophetic, but this should be a wake up call to us evangelicals to clean out our own closets before we go crusading against others. [no pun intended]

Let's remember those who will be most effected by this, the sheep in that church, those who have trusted their shepherd, and will be very confused right now... I hope that they will find comfort in their savior where man has failed them.

2006/11/3 2:02Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Ted Haggard...

The spirit of fornication is in the Church and has neutered our spiritual strength. It is very much like the ensample of sampson as a type of church. Oh how we need to lament over this situation overall in the church! I just wrote a article on weeping I encourage you and others to read it:

[b]The Church Has No Tears! by Greg Gordon[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13168&forum=16

2006/11/3 2:10Profile
rocklife

usa

Re: Ted Haggard...

yes, those sheep were my first thoughts too. it is going to be hard, that is such a betrayal of trust.

this also reminds me of Jesus warning us so much in the New Testament about the church leaders. we need to be careful, He says many of them are hypocrits (like actors). We need to be in the bible and following Jesus for ourselves, not relying on the leaders so much, I believe the leaders are overrated. Jesus is the christian's true leader, and He warns about so many things.

2006/11/3 7:17Profile

Re:

I dont really know much about Ted Haggard. I saw him interviewed once... seems like a sincere guy. But like King David, it appears that he has allowed himself to fall into sin.

Let it serve notice on all of us... not one of us is above fray when it comes to the struggle between the flesh and the spirit. We have to daily seek God, and seek purity, and seek righteousness. To go even one day without doing this can open the door for sin to enter in.

We should all pray for Mr. Haggard that he will first of all be restored in his relationship with God. And then also with his wife. We need to pray for that church that they would not abandon him, but rather they would support him and help his family heal.

My personal opinion (since this will inevitably will come up on here) is that he has disqualified himself from pastoring. I believe that's scriptural, and not open for debate.

In our local fellowships, let us all understand that scripture demands purity and righteousness among the leaders of the church. Not perfection, for none of us are perfect... but personal holiness is a must. Scripture demands it.

Consider the following passages:

[b]1Ti 3:2-13[/b] [i]A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach; Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre; Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless. Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things. Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.[/i]

and....

[b]Tit 1:7-9[/b] [i]For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self-willed, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.[/i]

In these days of divorced and remarried church leaders, elders and pastors who have children who are out of control, and women "pastors"... it is an eye opener to read what scripture requires of the church leader. As an elder of a house church network I read those passages with fear and trembling. Do I measure up? The other men around me in similar positions measure up? Can any of us measure up?

By God's grace in our lives... the good news is that we can!

We need to realize that God demands [b]much[/b] from the leaders of His church... and is not a matter to be taken lightly. I actually heard a local preacher on the radio the other day state that the verse that says "The husband of one wife" was not referring to divorce and remarriage! Excuse me...?

Let God be God... and every man a liar.

So pray for Haggard. Pray for that church. Pray for yourself, because but for the grace of God go us. Pray that churches would return to strict qualifications of scripture, instead of watering down everything and going with what feels right. What feels right usually isnt right! The heart is desperately wicked.

Krispy

2006/11/3 7:34

Re:

By the way... we all need to wait and see how all this develops before we jump to too many conclusions. My response was based on what I saw their church's leaders say themselves on the news this morning... that he has admitted that "some" of the accusations are true. But we dont know what they are.

I'm also leary of breaking news like this 5 days before the election. There is much more going on behind the scenes, I promise you that much. Everything about this is very sinister. Everything from whatever it is Haggard did, to the timing of the news, to who is involved in breaking this.

We all just need to pray about this whole situation.

Krispy

2006/11/3 11:07
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

He was rated one of the top 25 leading evangelicals in america. If this is true it is on the level of Jimmy Swaggart and will be a massive mare on the body of Christ in america and worldwide. What a shame and mockery, if this was not true at all he could stand up and firmly deny such a outrageous accustion!

But how sad his reaction of stepping down from the Church for a time and actually leaving the board of a large evangelical non-profit. The signs are not good at all.

But Oh how a revival of religion will expose these counterfiets and hirelings. May the spot light of revival come into america. As J. Edwin Orr stated that revival is like [b]Judgement Day![/b] may it be so! There is nothing that is hidden that will not be exposed.

If you have any sins that are hidden saint expose them willingly today before God and forsake them. The time is drawing nigh.

2006/11/3 12:26Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

It seems that he saying it is a liberal hit job, which is what I suspect, just a few days till election with a marriage amendment on the ballot, with him being one of the top supporters....oh yeah, I can believe this is a hit job. But if not, I pray that he repents and takes the necessary steps toward reconciliation with the father.

2006/11/3 12:41Profile

Re:

I agree with everything sermonindex is saying. Be sure your sins will find you out.

He has admitted that some of the accusations are true. I know if it was me... and I was totally innocent... I'd be fighting back with everything I had. So this does seem to be a bad sign.

I still say we need to pray for him and his family, as well as those in his church. I dont think we need to condemn him, but rather lift him up to the Father.

In the meantime, we all need to examine ourselves. Locally here this week they arrested a camp counselor from a Christian camp for luring a 14 yr old girl to a local mall via the internet. He is 53, the 14 yr old girl was a detective in his 30's with the Sherrif's Department.

There is not just sin in the camp, folks... there is gross sin in the camp. We can not allow this continue without expecting God to clean house sooner or later.

Krispy

2006/11/3 12:50
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

The accuser failed a lie detector test, check this link out:

[url=http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0%2C1299%2CDRMN_15_5115625%2C00.html]Haggard's Accuser Fails Polygraph[/url]

2006/11/3 12:55Profile

Re:

Maybe so... but Haggard is already admitted to some of the accusations. It wouldnt surprise me if the accuser embellished a lot. I dont consider a gay prostitute meth dealer to be a real reliable source.

We shall see.

Krispy

2006/11/3 13:25

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy