SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The decline of Secular AND Christian music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
You said it, Diane... much more eloquent than I could.

We throw the word "annointing" around like it was candy. We get goose bumps when someone sings and we call them "annointed". Based on what? I find most Christian music today to be bland and uninspired... which is kinda what Kerry Livgren was getting at in my original post.

As a football coach I get goose bumps watching a great linebacker sack a quarterback for a 7 yard loss. Does that mean the linebacker was "annointed"? No... that means he has a God given talent that he has worked hard to develop and dial in.

It's interesting that I can listen to the same preacher as someone else... and they can walk away and say "That man was annointed today!" ... and I'm thinking "Wow... that message didnt inspire me at all."

And it's funny to me that a lot of the people who are considered "annointed" preacher/teachers today teach some of the most heretical things.

I think we need to dispense of the Christianeze, and begin doing word studies to really understand the scriptural definition of things... such as what it means to be annointed.

Krispy

By all means, throw the baby out with the bath water.

2006/11/3 12:54

Re:

Ormly... you're completely misunderstanding everything I'm saying, but perhaps I can clarify something for you?

Krispy

2006/11/3 13:29
roadsign

Re: word studies - is the way to go

Quote:
I think we need to dispense of the Christianeze, and begin doing word studies to really understand the scriptural definition of things... such as what it means to be annointed.

Right on! And while we're at it - take a look at the Biblical use of more Christianeze lingo: "worship", "in the Spirit", "sanctuary" ....

... some thoughts for future threads....

Diane

2006/11/3 13:54Profile

Re:

Yea, or explore some unbiblical Christian concepts that everyone thinks are biblical. Like why do we feel the need to hold worship services in church buildings? Why do we refer to church buildings as "God's House" when scripture clearly teaches that God's temple is not made of wood and stone.

Or... why do Protestants critisize the Catholic Church for it's many pagan rituals and symbols, while Protestants continue to use the same pagan rituals in the observence of the Lord's Supper?

Please dont talk about these things on this thread... this thread is intended to be about art, music and the believer.

Krispy

2006/11/3 14:14

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Ormly... you're completely misunderstanding everything I'm saying, but perhaps I can clarify something for you?

Krispy

I don't believe so, Krispy. What I read in this from you and Diane is that you have a particular antinomian point of view you wish to protect, however hidden under the guise of freedom in the Lord. You do so at great expense to holiness and as a consequence the presence of God. Realizing it seems to be escaping you.

:-(

2006/11/3 14:43
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

hhhhmmmmmmm.....I agree 100% with you Krisp and Diane.

God Bless

2006/11/3 14:44Profile

Re:

Quote:
I don't believe so, Krispy. What I read in this from you and Diane is that you have a particular [b]antinomian[/b] point of view you wish to protect, however hidden under the guise of freedom in the Lord. You do so at great expense to holiness and as a consequence the presence of God. Realizing it seems to be escaping you.

Antinomian: "a person who maintains that Christians are freed from the Law by virtue of grace as set forth in the gospel"

Yea... I can go along with that.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. :-) I'm not going to bother responding to you on this thread anymore as I believe it will only lead to dissention between us.

Let's take the high road here.

Krispy

2006/11/3 15:09
roadsign

Re: Congregational singing

GaryE wrote:

Quote:
Much of the Christian entertainment music, even if it has a spiritual base, doesn’t seem to give itself to congregational singing.

This expresses my number one greatest concern with modern church music! Music becomes entertainment simply because that’s about the best one can draw out of it. You can’t sing along with it because it is really styled for pop singers – soloists.

Some songs have a rhythm that is not suitable for congregational singing, or the meter is unpredictable and meandering. Some is in a bad range, or has an unsingable melody line. Of course you can have that problem with any kind of music.

CCM seems to draw the focus to bodily experience rather than to the actual music itself. I’ll bet that you can choose just about any words, and the people will respond exactly the same way. They have disengaged their minds.

Over-produced music, loud instrumentation, too much reliance on mics and praise teams, etc all erode the strength of congregational singing.

I feel that it is the responsibility of those who lead the singing to think about those to whom they are ministering, and not their own preferences, or what the other churches are doing. What kind of mood do you want to create? Do you want the people to close their eyes and feel like they are in a nightclub, or at a party? That is how I would respond to Paul West’s question:

Quote:
Hey, what do you guys think about playing "blues" in church?

While there is great value in placing solos and ensembles in the service, congregational singing should take priority. It should be a powerful event – something totally different from one’s day by day experience in the world. The value of it is immeasurable. Isaac Watts, Martin Luther and others fought hard to get it into the church. It is tragic that we are letting it slip away. Once the people lose their ability to sing as a corporate body, it’s hard to ever get it back.

Hey folks, we have a huge amount of excellent church music out there - unprecedented in church history. There is no reason to feel distressed about the lack of good music when it is abundant and very available to everyone.

You just have to stop accepting the mediocre and the glitzy - and give up the need for self-gratification.

Diane

2006/11/3 16:12Profile

Re:

Quote:
I feel that it is the responsibility of those who lead the singing to think about those to whom they are ministering, and not their own preferences, or what the other churches are doing. What kind of mood do you want to create?

Herein lies the problem: We are to be ministering to the Lord ---- the people. In that light what should our music sound like? -- certainly NOT like the the Rolling Stones....[i]and call it blessed of the Lord.[/i]

Orm

Diane, I included you in my last post. I apologize.

2006/11/3 17:05

Re:

Quote:

Antinomian: "a person who maintains that Christians are freed from the Law by virtue of grace as set forth in the gospel"

A better definition: One who views holiness as legalism.

2006/11/3 17:33

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy