SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The decline of Secular AND Christian music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

That's great, brother. I'm responding a day later, and it's all said and done now. Now we can hopefully dispense of the poilitical ads!!

Hope you're having a wonderful day today.

Krispy

2006/11/8 10:01

Re:

Question for everyone: If the OT Tabernacle was still in vogue albeit, a Christian one where we we were instructed to worship, do you think our comptemporary music and dress code would be acceptable?

8-)

2006/11/8 16:53

Re:

Quote:
Question for everyone: If the OT Tabernacle was still in vogue albeit, a Christian one where we we were instructed to worship, do you think our comptemporary music and dress code would be acceptable?

Ormly... are ya havin' a nice day? Have anything good for lunch? I had a nice ham & cheese sub with everything on it from a local greek resteraunt. Mmmm... mmm... mmmmm...

Krispy

2006/11/8 17:11

Re:

Come to think of it, thats what I had --- on French bread. :-P

Now answer the question ya hill billy. :-D

2006/11/8 17:16

Re:

Listen here, flat lander... hush yer mouth!

I dont think the question is relevent to the topic of this thread. Thats my answer.

Personally, I think the way people dress today is inappropriate in many different arenas. I always wear a suit and tie to our end of season Football awards ceremony... and pretty much everyone comes looking like bums.

But I also believe that clothes dont make the man. When I teach in our house church gatherings I usually have on jeans and a (Carolina Panthers) football jersey. It's not being flippant... it's being real with God. It's about not trying to impress everyone with my newest silk tie.

It's NOT about being seeker sensitive. I'm about as seeker sensitive as I am politically correct.

As for music. I already answered that question. In a worship service some forms of music are inappropriate. It doesnt make them wrong... as Solomon said... for everything there is a season.

Krispy

2006/11/8 17:26

Re:

I have a reply but first this question: How do you dress when you go to church?

2006/11/8 17:49
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:

In a worship service some forms of music are inappropriate. It doesnt make them wrong... as Solomon said... for everything there is a season.

Krispy

I agree with you on this Krispy...to a point. Let's remember what the Psalmist said in Psalms 150:
Psalm 150
1 Praise the LORD.
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens.

2 Praise him for his acts of power;
praise him for his surpassing greatness.

3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,

4 praise him with tambourine and dancing,
praise him with the strings and flute,

5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.

6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

"Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness." - You know what I identify with when I read this portion of the Scripture? I see myself shouting and hooping and hollering as if I were at a football game. I don't see myself just kind of standing there during worship and having it be mellow. His acts of power are magnificant; His greatness so incredibly amazing. I'm going to shout, I'm gonna be jazzed. I'm gonna be praising Him with all the gusto I can muster up.

PLUS check out all the instruments.... There loud, some obnoxious. I'll bet you anything that, if electric guitars, drums, bass, and turn tables were invented back then, they would be on the list, too.

There are times when we should be mellow, but man, I wanna give glory to a GOD that has made my life incredibly worth living, and because of that, I'm gonna get creative (since He made me creative and wants me to express my creativity) and sing and praise with every creative ounce within me.

I can't believe that God wants us to practically be zombies as we worship Him. I mean, if all the angels are having a "party" for every person that commits his life to Christ, then how can I not be just as joyous, or more joyous in how I express my lifelong devotion to Him through praise and worship (no matter the instrument)?

I took your quote Krispy, but this wasn't just directed at you, this was a general, for anyone to respond to, post!

;-) :-P

2006/11/8 17:59Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

Ormly wrote:
Quote:

rock/pop inhibits worship.

Instruments and voice inhibit worship? WHAT? Isn't that what you're saying? Just because we have created new ways of singing and also new instruments doesn't mean that it inhibits worship! When Adam and Eve were created were there harps, lyre's and clanging cymbols? Nope. So, why aren't we worshiping like Adam and Eve with our hands and feet and hitting sticks on rocks (or whatever they did to express their worship to God)? You can't tell me that David was WRONG and ungodly because he didn't follow the form of worship that Adam and Eve started, or that anyone else was wrong or ungodly for not worshiping like they did.

Why must we get soo legalistic about how we worship our CREATOR who made us individuals with creativity????????

Here's another question to top that all off... Why don't the pastor's dress like the priests did back then... with gold and jewels and staffs? Why are we cutting our sideburns and beards? Why aren't we wearing sandals and robes? Why must we be stuck with living out our lives of a 2000 + year old JEWISH culture? (I say this with the knowledge, that some of our current cultural stuff, is obnoxious and lustful, but I'm talking about sticking strickly with the ideas of Scripture - we can dress like our culture, without creating a lustful, and degrading to God, environment)

It is perfectly ok and by no means a sin to be creative (especially when it comes to worship).

;-)

P.S. How about that ram's horn we all use every Sunday in church....!?

2006/11/8 18:20Profile

Re:

Quote:
Why must we get soo legalistic about how we worship our CREATOR who made us individuals with creativity????????

Legalistic? Where/when does holiness come into your asking about "soo legalistic", or does it?? Is it even considered in your "creativity"?

2006/11/8 19:23
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

Ormly wrote:
Quote:

Legalistic? Where/when does holiness come into your asking about "soo legalistic", or does it?? Is it even considered in your "creativity"?

You can be holy and be creative in worship and adoration to God. Why must there be walls when one comes into the holy presence of God? As I said, I know there are times when there need to be quiet or mellow moments as we enter into the Holy presence of the Lord, but must it be mellow 90%, 95%, or 98% of the time? Again, let me reitirate the several Psalms that say to shout to the Lord, dance, clang cymbols, and so on. Why must we limit our worship to our Creator when He, Himself, gave us the freedom to come into his presence, not only in reverence, but also in thanksgiving, praise, dancing, shouting, and loud instruments?

Are you limiting the ways in which God can consider things holy?

If you can, can you show me Scripture that is anti-dancing, anti-cymbols, anti-stringed instruments, and anti-singing in the presence of the Lord in worship and praise to Him?

2006/11/8 19:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy