SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The decline of Secular AND Christian music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
PosterThread
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

Quote:
By the way... listening to music for pure enjoyment is OK! Music shouldnt just be for worship.

The words "Love not the world" come to mind.

2006/11/2 20:56Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
"Love not the world"

I don't think enjoying music automatically falls in the category of "the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life." There are many things in Creation and the Earth that are not the 'World.'

I'm not saying to go against your own conscience but I can certainly imagine Jesus enjoying music sometime during his Earthly life.

MC

2006/11/2 22:15Profile
roadsign

Re:

An earlier comment:

Quote:
or the players who have no anointing, deluded into believing they have?

I am a music teacher, and would love to find this special thing called an “anointing”. Maybe I can spare my students of hours of practising, learning, discipline, sweat, perseverance,… Maybe I can even cancel a few choir rehearsals at church, or at least skip the warm-ups.

I am wondering: How does one determine if someone has this “anointing” or not?

Scriptures?

Diane

2006/11/2 22:38Profile

Re:

Quote:

roadsign wrote:
An earlier comment:
Quote:
or the players who have no anointing, deluded into believing they have?

I am a music teacher, and would love to find this special thing called an “anointing”. Maybe I can spare my students of hours of practising, learning, discipline, sweat, perseverance,… Maybe I can even cancel a few choir rehearsals at church, or at least skip the warm-ups.

I am wondering: How does one determine if someone has this “anointing” or not?

Scriptures?

Diane

And you, a teacher??

2006/11/3 6:49
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re:

Entertainment is not necessarily sinful. There are many things that entertain that are not in themselves sinful. With music, I would especially consider the words spoken in the songs.

The problem I see is that worship and entertainment are two different things. We don’t go to church to be entertained and if entertainment is why we are in church, something is wrong. Congregational singing is worship music that all can be a part of. Much of the Christian entertainment music, even if it has a spiritual base, doesn’t seem to give itself to congregational singing.

2006/11/3 7:25Profile

Re:

Listen folks... I'm not saying go listen to AC/DC. I assumed everyone understood that we obviously need to make good, spiritual choices when it comes to entertainment. I mentioned read a novel... obviously I was not suggesting Stephen King.

I thought that was obvious, but since it isnt, I hope this clears that up.

As for "annointing"... that has become a Charimatic catch-phrase which basically means "I got goose bumps". There is no mention of annointed music or musicians in scripture. If anyone can find any, I'd love to see it.

Thats like church's that have a "worship pastor". Thats foreign to the church in the NT. Paul talked extensively about the offices of the church... no worship pastors. Instead... all bring a song!

Krispy

2006/11/3 7:43

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Listen folks... I'm not saying go listen to AC/DC. I assumed everyone understood that we obviously need to make good, spiritual choices when it comes to entertainment. I mentioned read a novel... obviously I was not suggesting Stephen King.

I thought that was obvious, but since it isnt, I hope this clears that up.

As for "annointing"... that has become a Charimatic catch-phrase which basically means "I got goose bumps". There is no mention of annointed music or musicians in scripture. If anyone can find any, I'd love to see it.

Thats like church's that have a "worship pastor". Thats foreign to the church in the NT. Paul talked extensively about the offices of the church... no worship pastors. Instead... all bring a song!

Krispy

....and All were expected, by Paul, [and Jesus] to be anointed. There is a narrowness in this that must be understood.

2006/11/3 8:31

Re:

Ormly... I agree with that. I feel like you're picking at fine points for the sake of having something to argue about. Is this true? I dont think you and I are in disagreement on much... why the contention?

Krispy

2006/11/3 9:31
roadsign

Re: what is this anointing?

Quote:
All were expected, by Paul, [and Jesus] to be anointed

Honestly, I don’t want the certain kind of ‘anointing’ that I hear so much about. I’m convinced that it won’t help me next week when my 13 yo student comes for her piano lesson – the girl whose mom has totally rejected her - who doesn’t care two straws about her daughter’s progress. I need an anointing all right! – especially for that trying 6 yo who is accustomed to pushing adults around, and whose mom needs some lessons in setting boundaries.

Yesterday I told one rather complacent student: I don’t hand out pills (or anointings, as some might call it) that make you a musician. You need to make some serious choices… blah blah blah..

To be honest, I’m convinced that God does not dispense from the sky a special a thing as an “anointing” that magically makes one a good musician, or as some say, an “anointed musician”. (not to discount natural gifted potential)

Oh, there is a kind of anointing that I need: I need patience, I need the love of Christ, and, yes, I continually need humility in order to grow in my skills and musical appreciation. I need to be sitting at the “learner’s desk” - so I can know what it’s like for my students to be given a list of instructions that may seem overwhelming.

I need God, and I need to walk in his mercy daily, so that I can continue to be merciful and patient with the grubby, sniffly, insecure, withdrawn or noisy, awkward little (and big) ones that come to me every day. It’s the same kind of anointing I need when I work with adults in my church. The anointing each of them needs from me is a small sip of Water from the Springs of Living Water. They need to know what Jesus is like as modeled through the way I treat them.

I’m convinced that if we Christian-folk would walk in Christ’s anointing ie, the Spirit (which I suspect is what Ormly refers to), we’d have God-pleasing music in our churches. But we don’t have to wait for that magical day to come in order to be blessed by good music....

When we stop being obsessed about other’s degree of anointing or spiritual condition, and focus on what Christ wants us to be, we are free to appreciate and enjoy all kinds of music that we never heard before. And by the way, there's loads of fabulous music OUTSIDE the church!

Diane

2006/11/3 11:39Profile

Re:

You said it, Diane... much more eloquent than I could.

We throw the word "annointing" around like it was candy. We get goose bumps when someone sings and we call them "annointed". Based on what? I find most Christian music today to be bland and uninspired... which is kinda what Kerry Livgren was getting at in my original post.

As a football coach I get goose bumps watching a great linebacker sack a quarterback for a 7 yard loss. Does that mean the linebacker was "annointed"? No... that means he has a God given talent that he has worked hard to develop and dial in.

It's interesting that I can listen to the same preacher as someone else... and they can walk away and say "That man was annointed today!" ... and I'm thinking "Wow... that message didnt inspire me at all."

And it's funny to me that a lot of the people who are considered "annointed" preacher/teachers today teach some of the most heretical things.

I think we need to dispense of the Christianeze, and begin doing word studies to really understand the scriptural definition of things... such as what it means to be annointed.

Krispy

2006/11/3 11:54

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy