SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : AFTER REPENTANCE, WHAT? or IS REPENTANCE ENOUGH?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

AFTER REPENTANCE, WHAT? or IS REPENTANCE ENOUGH?

2 Corinthians 4:2
But we have [u]renounced[/u] the hidden things of shame, not walking in craftiness nor handling the word of God deceitfully, but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. (NKJV)

2 Corinthians 4
1 Therefore, since we have this ministry, as we received mercy, we do not lose heart, 2 but we have [u]renounced[/u] the things hidden because of shame, not walking in craftiness or adulterating the word of God, but by the manifestation of truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. (NASB)

2 Corinthians 4:2
Rather, we have [u]renounced[/u] secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. (NIV)

There is also

Revelation 2:13
`I know where you dwell, where Satan's throne is; and you hold fast My name, and did not [b]deny[/b] My faith even in the days of Antipas, My witness, My faithful one, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells. (NKJV)

or

I know where you live—where Satan has his throne. Yet you remain true to my name. You did not [u]renounce[/u] your faith in me, even in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness, who was put to death in your city—where Satan lives. (NIV)

Simply put, I would like a discussion about whether Paul's use of the word 'renounced', has any relevance for Christians today. (The verse in Revelation helps to indicate the general significance of renunciation.)

Part of what is on my mind is, whether repentance, no matter how genuine, is really [i]enough[/i] in some life circumstances..... to CUT OFF a person from their sins, or, to cut their sins off from them [b]in their experience[/b].

[i][b]If[/b][/i] repentance is enough, why does Paul mention 'renounced'?

If renunciation is required occasionally, in what circumstances should it be done (how publicly) and with reference to which sins?

2006/10/30 8:26
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: AFTER REPENTANCE, WHAT? or IS REPENTANCE ENOUGH?

Wouldn't part of repentance be you renouncing sin?

2006/10/30 9:02Profile
GraceAlone

Orlando, Florida

Re:

THE DEFINITION OF TRUE REPENTANCE?

Repentance is essential before we can escape the wrath of God, so what exactly is repentance?

Turning from Sin to Serve. "You turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for his Son from heaven" (1 Thessalonians 1:9-10). Turn from sin to faith in Christ. True repentance is a total turning of the total person from all sin, to submission to God. "Repent and be converted that your sins may be blotted out" (Acts 3:19).

Turning in One's Mind. "Father, I nave sinned against heaven and before you" (Luke 15:18). True repentance agrees with God that sin is sin and that God is the true God. The more one learns about God and sin the more that person can genuinely repent. A person has not repented who merely quits a sin because it is unhealthy, while not confessing that thing as sin (1 John 1:9). "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the LORD, and He will have mercy on him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon (Isaiah 55:7).

A Turning of Emotion. "Blessed are you who mourn [weep and grieve over sin]" (Matthew 5:4). Unsaved people enjoy their "guilty pleasures" - sin. Repentant people are grieved by sin. We hate it and are repulsed by it; "put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and cry over all the abominations that are done" (Ezekiel. 9:4). True, in our sinful nature we are still tempted by the deceitful pleasure of sin but the new man is grieved over any hint of attraction to sin. We hate the fact that we still desire sin! The Spirit of God brings powerful conviction (great blame and shame) upon the Christian who falls into sin (John 16:8). We are ashamed of sin (Isaiah 44:9), and we love God (1 John 4:19; 5:3).

A Turning of the Will. True repentance wants to stop sinning and start serving God. A criminal may be forced to stop certain crimes like theft but does not want to stop. The reality of a jail cell forces him to stop. A truly repentant person cries out to God for deliverance and victory over sin, and fully intends upon turning from sin to serve God (Romans 7:18,21).

A Turning of Actions. "They should repent, turn to God, and prove their repentance by their deeds" (Acts 26:20). True repentance is proven by a radically changed life. "Therefore, bear fruits worthy of repentance" (Matthew 3:8). If there is no change, there has been no repentance. "Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire" (Matthew 3:10). Zacchaeus the tax collector said to Jesus, "'Look Lord, I give half of my goods to the poor; and if I have taken anything from anyone by false accusation, I restore fourfold.' And Jesus said to him, 'Today salvation has come to this house'" (Luke 19:8-9).

A Turning in Faith. Repentance is a turning away from sin to saving faith in Christ, "testifying...repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ" (Acts 20:21). Those who are trusting their good works for salvation have not yet truly repented.

Repentance turns away from reliance upon works to reliance upon Christ alone who died for our sins (1 Corinthians 15:3-4). Christ died as our substitute in our place! He died for our sin and rose again. He bore our sins in his own body on the tree. Christ died to pay the penalty of death for our sin. "Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent because he has appointed a day on which he will judge the world" (Acts 17:30).

an excerpt from a writing my pastor wrote.

2006/10/30 12:53Profile
DesiJr

Re:

Well, a good definition that I use when I am speaking with people about Jesus is that they see and feel the same way about their sin the way God does.

When you see yourself through the eyes of God then it brings a Godly sorrow which leads to life.

If not, then you just feel bad that you got caught commiting sin and feeling bad is not repentance.

Now just because you repent of your sin that does not mean that you are saved.

The Word does NOT say repent and you will be saved.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Why are we always looking for a shortcut to God?

If you dillengently seek after God, and the Spirit of God is producing out of your life fruits of Good Works (ex: reading the Word, praying, walking in faith and not by sight, serving your brothers & sisters..etc.)...NOT out of obligation to obtain salvation or to please man ... but because the Spirit in you compells you to do these things....I am sure that this same Spirit is testifying to your soul that you are saved.

Why is this so difficult to understand?
Why do we always try to quantify God or to put him in little steps or prerequisits?

BELIEVE, SEEK HARD AFTER HIM, AND FOLLOW HIM, LOVE HIM AND YOUR BROTHERS......

There's no special formula or shortcut.

God Bless,
And be free!

Desi Jr.

2006/10/30 17:14Profile
GraceAlone

Orlando, Florida

Re:

Quote:
The Word does NOT say repent and you will be saved.

Ezk 18:30: “Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways,” says the Lord GOD. “Repent, and turn from all your transgressions, so that iniquity will not be your ruin.

Acts 3:19: Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord

Repentance: turning from sin to serve. If you don't do this: you're not saved. Repentance is essential for salvation. Period. Without true repentance you have not faith.

Quote:
Why do we do this to ourselves? Why are we always looking for a shortcut to God?

Repentance isn't a shortcut to God. NOT HAVING REPENTANCE IS.

If you have true repentance that would incorporate all essential for salvation. Just as true faith would produce works. Just as you can't have true faith and be lost, you can't have true repentance and be lost. There is no such thing as a Christian who does not turn from sin to God. There is no such thing as a Christian who truely turns to God from sin who is not saved.

God Bless!

2006/10/31 10:03Profile

Quote:
Wouldn't part of repentance be you renouncing sin?

Well, this is what I'm trying to get at, in the light of the very few mentions in the New Testament, of 'renounce'.

It must mean [i]something[/i] or it wouldn't be there at all!

So, I have another question, very like yours, TaylorOtwell,

[i][b]Wouldn't part of renunciation, be you repenting from sin?[/b][/i]

2006/10/31 10:54
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Since when has repentance merely been a one time act? A repentant heart is a state of being, not merely a one-time deal. One cannot turn away from sin and turn towards God without such a renouncing of sin.

2006/10/31 11:02Profile

Re:

KingJimmy said

Quote:
A repentant heart is a state of being, not merely a one-time deal. One cannot turn away from sin and turn towards God without such a renouncing of sin.

Are you saying it is not [i]possible[/i] to repent, unless one has already renounced sin?

Quote:
Since when has repentance merely been a one time act?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that repentance is a one time act.

Here's another question, then.....

Is 'renunciation' a one time act?

2006/10/31 11:16
markm

What of crucifying the flesh and dieing to sin? Are those acts of renunciation? Are they continual, or are they one time events that we have to remind ourselves of in order that we might live in the freedom they offer?

2006/10/31 13:49Profile
jewalz

Elmira, NY

Re:

More repentance! More renuciation! More confession!More conviciton... More repentance and so on, on and on until one day we might be free from this stinking cage of filthy flesh! AARRGGGGG!!!!!

Wash me Lord again, not just my feet but my whole being inside and out in that precious blood! ALLELUIA!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! Freedom, sweet freedom!

:-)
Julian the blood washed!

2006/10/31 14:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy