Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Relics of the Salvation Army

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Mudfrog

Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

Re: Relics of the Salvation Army

Hi, I picked up this thread quite by accident.

I was saddened to read this comment about The Salvation Army and its mercy seat. It was spoken of as if God has left us and the mercy seat is indeed a relic of a bygone age. I can tell you that the mercy seat is still very much a part of our worship and experience. In every corps church) there is a mercy seat - not usually as ornate as the one that was pictured and described - but there, nonetheless. In the corps where I am the minmister it is used frequently. The lasy time just a few weeks ago when 7 people knelt in porayer, worship, commitment and humbly seeking of blessing.

Oh please don't think that the Army has been forsaken by God!

At last Saturday's ordination of new officers the mercy seat was lined and lined again with seekers, and also with groups of people standing together to pray for one another. It was the most moving time as the Holy Spirit came.

The Army is a praying Army and though we have been brought low in numbers, he is blessing us and we are learning again to be warriors for him.

O see us on thine altar lay
Our lives, our all, this very day.
To crown the offering now we pray:
Send the Fire! Send the Fire! Send the Fire!

2011/7/14 5:07Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

We still have and use the altar in our churches. Many are too proud today to seek God publicly.

2011/7/14 8:07Profile
Mudfrog

Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

Re:

Whilst it may be true that some old buildings are going, you need to realise that old buildings don't last forever and sometimes lose their usefulness. Our own Temple, opened by William Booth himself, is up for sale for who-knows-what use.
But The Salvation Army in Newcastle is growing (and the mercy seat is used!)

I don't know much about The Army in Dover and the state of itse building but I do know the officers there are doing a remarkable, growing, evangelical work with Romany people.

We cannot - must not - hold on to the relics of the past as if they held some power still. Let's move forward with new facilities 'to serve the present age.'

2011/7/15 4:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy