SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hosea says God is married to the backslider

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
GOLDIE39

JEREMIAH 3 V 14. GOD IS MARRIED TO THE BACKSLIDER

Turn, O backsliding children, says the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one from a city, and two from a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

2012/2/14 14:29Profile

Re: Hosea says God is married to the backslider

I humbly submit that as yet no one is married to God or Christ. Those who are faithful and dressed in readiness will become and are in God's eternal purpose the Bride of Christ. Even now or certainly in the very near future Christ will complete the preparations which will result in the marriage feast of the Lamb. As for backsliders they belong to God as much as the most righteous of servants. Grace upon Grace. Not the LAW.

If our covenant with God rests solely on the finished work of the Cross, then we will be adjudged faithful unto eternal life, even thought we may stumble many times. If we confess our sins He is just and righteous to forgive our sins. If we walk in the light the blood of Christ will wash away our sins. John said, 'he who is born again cannot sin'. And 'we sin daily'. This seeming difficulty is spiritually discerned. Its not one or the other, backsliding or walking faithfully; its all Christ crucified for sin.

I once resisted to the point of making my brethren stumble to share that salvation is broader and more time consuming than is the receiving of eternal life by faith. It is true however that we have this treasure (eternal life) in earthen vessels. We are saved if we truly believe. God has saved us with an everlasting salvation; so Paul writes in the letter to the Hebrews. In another place we read' the gifts and the calling of God are without repentance. Which is to say God does not change His mind. Nor will He take back that which was so preciously purchased by the shedding of blood, even the blood of the Lamb.

Backsliding is unnecessary and would be avoided if we knew the certainty of God's election and calling. I have the responsibility to keep my brother and he, me. No one is called to walk alone. Backsliding is a term used to excuse men of there failings to keep one another in the faith by prayer and our own faithfulness to love one another. I believe the term is heinous and misleading because it covers the real problem.

Please forgive me my straightforwardness. I mean no offence whatsoever. But your post is difficult. Some believers fear to speak out of there own personal experience. Thinking that somehow this has no merit. Yet how can we speak if we have not experienced. Revelation alone will not save a man from his Adamic nature. Anymore than an excessive Adamic nature will destroy the work and purposes of God. All is God. All is Christ. All is His righteousness and nothing is ours.

Even so Scripture does warn clearly about falling away from faithful walking and wilful disobedience. This has to do with the marriage feast of the Lamb and the coming kingdom. It has nothing to do with the new heavens and the new earth. 'And those who's name were not written in the book of life' etc. God is a faithful God. He cannot lie. And he does not mock men. Neither does he take delight in the destruction of the creature. Either your name is written in the book of life or it is not. This is a matter which belongs to God alone.

2012/2/15 11:26
Nemo2006

Re:

This is a great debate among many christian circles. One great preacher said if your not raptured everyday you will not be raptured in that day... bh clendennen

2012/2/15 12:10Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

They could be thinking of this verse:

Hos 14:4 I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.

But this verse is not saying that God condones backsliding and wants us to stay in this state.

This healing from the Lord is contingent on turning back to Him.

Pilgrim

2012/2/15 12:35Profile
Sree

Re: JEREMIAH 3 V 14. GOD IS MARRIED TO THE BACKSLIDER

Quote:

Turn, O backsliding children, says the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one from a city, and two from a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

If Jer 3:14 in NASB reads like this:-
‘Return, O faithless sons,’ declares the LORD;
‘For I am a master to you,
And I will take you one from a city and two from a family,
And I will bring you to Zion.’

The word married or Master both can be considered as, God is addressing to Israel as the one who has authority over them. Like how husband has authority over his wife and master over his slave.

But the very important word here is Return. Which means turn away from your sinful life and repent and come towards me. Like how the prodigal son did, he first hated Pigs food and then turned towards his father.

So when one is in a backslid-den state (flowing his flesh instead of Spirit) he has to repent then only he can enter the Kingdom of God. But what if there is no time to repent? What if he dies in Backslidden state? What if the door to kingdom of God is shut (Jesus returns)? So instead of quoting such verses to Justify one's backslid-den state, a person has to repent when there is time.

2012/2/15 12:42Profile
lindi1208

Re: Hosea- God is married to the backslider

Amen Sree Repentance isn't a one time occasion but a continual process of our walk with the Lord.

Lindi

2012/2/15 12:55Profile

Re: JEREMIAH 3 V 14. GOD IS MARRIED TO THE BACKSLIDER

Are you Israel according to the flesh. Under stone tablets, according to Law Or a wild vine grafted in, under the blood according to Christ. Under grace. As you choose so shall you be judged. Don't be deceived on this point. Your very presence in the Day of The Lord depends on it.

2012/2/15 13:17
jimp

Re:

hi, years ago in my ministry,i was married to a women who left me and entered into sin and i sought God and He asked me "do you love Me?" i said yes Lord... He said to forgive her and let her come back.this happened three times and was humbling.He forgives and forgets. we forgive.... she left me the last time and got a divorce and God released me from my covenant with her.she tried weakly to come back after the divorce. Gods mercies are new every morning.jimp

2012/2/15 13:27Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

years ago in my ministry,i was married to a women who left me and entered into sin and i sought God and He asked me "do you love Me?" i said yes Lord... He said to forgive her and let her come back.this happened three times and was humbling.He forgives and forgets.

Though we don't agree on most of the subjects, I have to say I am moved by your testimony till this part (that I have quoted). I believe it will surely be humbling experience and a test that God gives for mature disciples and not babes. I agree that we should extend the same mercy that God showed to us. Jesus was emphasizing the same point in his Parable on forgiveness in Matt 18:23. if we understand how much our Lord has forgiven us then forgiving those who hate us or attack us will not be an issue. Also forgiving those who do not accept our doctrine will also not be an issue!!

Regarding rest of your testimony neither do I agree nor disagree, because I do not have enough light on that particular subject.

2012/2/15 14:51Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re

Amrkelly. I do agree that there is great strength generated between the common walk we share with our brothers and sisters in Christ. Maybe that is why God has placed such emphasis on such relationship/fellowship.

Regarding the abuse of the term backsliden, it seems to me that one of the greatest abuses comes by the cloaking of those who have some semblance of being joined to the body, but who have never truly come to the feet of Christ. It is with that consideration that the term takes on both a broader definition as well as a broader application that it was never meant to have. I find there is much confusion and abuse when this term is used, not unlike when the term prodigal is used. A great concern is the many that rest in a counterfeit rest found under such broad application. No doubt God is faithful, patient, and longsuffering bearing our short falls, but what is being allowed to root in such deficiency will in no way be considered barterable when the farmer goes to market.

2012/2/15 17:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy