SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Suicide

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Spitfire

Re: suicide

I am a so-called Believer, and I think about suicide alot. I hate to say it, but I do. I've thought about all these points. I think suicide would be the ultimate rejection of God, therefore, hell is the only place that person could wind up.

I even feel guilty that I'm so discouraged that I would think of suicide. I feel guilty that I feel guilty. And on it goes...I'm just thankful that God has allowed me to understand that, if I truly love Him, I will submit to life, not death.
Suicide is the ultimate selfish act, and isn't salvation about surrendering our "self" to God? Isn't suicide just more of our defiance? Dian.

2006/10/20 6:11Profile
Spitfire

Re: suicide

I'm always afraid I will commit suicide on a bad day and then, the next day I'll be saying to myself, "Gee, I wish I hadn't killed myself yesterday, cause I feel better today." Like Enid said, you can't repent of suicide.

2006/10/20 6:16Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Concerning judging:
1 Cor 5v3, 'For I indeed, as absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged ( as though I were present) him who has done this deed.'

Paul is judging, and he is not even there!

Colossians 2v5, 'For though I am absent in the flesh, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good order and the steadfastness of your faith in Christ'.

Here, Paul is judging again, but in a good sense.

John 7v24, 'Do not judge according to appearance
but judge with righteous judgment'.

Jesus is saying the judgment that we use should be with righteousness, and not just by what we see.

There are other scriptures, but I hate long posts.

Concerning suicide:

Don't do it. Don't despair. Don't harm yourself. Don't give up on God.

1 Cor 10v31, 'Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

How does suicide glorify God?

Scripture said if in this life only we had hope we would be men most miserable.

Our hope is not in this world, but in God.

I do know of a Christian who suffered from depression and committed suicide.

I know of another who attempted suicide but failed, thank God.

All you can do is trust God and hold on to His word. It is unfailing.

Heaven and earth will pass away but God's word will never pass away.

God bless.

2006/10/20 8:23Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re:

I know of a person that attempted suicide and wasn't sucessful. This person, who at the time wasn't saved, took a lot of drugs to die. After lying down and falling asleep, the person awoke and was very sick. This person then prayed to the Lord and ask the Lord to keep from dieing.

It is my opinion that this may happen to quite a few people who are successfull and die. Often there is a space between the act and death and there would be time to repent. As a hunter, I have seen animals shot in a vital area that run fifty to a hundred yards before they fall so there is often a short time preceeding death that one could repent.

Our God is a merciful God. It is his judgement as to who is saved or who isn't. The God who knows the thoughts and intents of the heart will judge these things and we can rest in knowing that this God of mercy, grace and justice will make the judgement on each of us and those we love.

God is good,
GaryE

2006/10/20 11:38Profile

Re:

Quote:
AND WHERE IN THE BIBLE DOES IT GIVE US THIS RIGHT TO JUDGE?!?

The Bible does not give us the right to judge anothers salvation, motives, inner being, etc.

However, the NT is chuck full of commands for the believer to judge actions, doctrine, false teachers, fruits... etc. I could give you a complete list of passages that support what I am saying, however I think it best if you do a study on the topic yourself.

Krispy

2006/10/20 11:55
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

Yes, we are given the right to make decisions here on earth, but to quote the original post:

Quote:
by richardf:
I was chatting to some Christian mates the other day, and they thought that if you commit suicide, then you would go to hell. I had a feeling that this is just what Catholics said, but I was interested to know what you guys thought?

P.S. sorry about the depressing subject, but it would be cool if I could clear it up in my head!

The judgement of men's souls is not for men but for God. We are given course to judge actions, but with specific clarity. A man's soul is God's piece.

There is no contesting the error of the action of suicide, and that has never been the statement. The statement I have been pressing should quite clearly be that we have not the right to condemn this theoretical man any more than if we were to burn someone at the stake. This judgement is quite ultimately left for God, and is conjecture on our part. Several parts in scripture say we could separate him from the church or stone him, however, because his action was sinful and unjust. The right to kill is not the right to damn.

Rev. 20: 11-15
And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

We can contest what is written in that last book all we want. You can contest me, and I won't quarrel any more than this - because God opens that book.

2006/10/20 12:11Profile
DesiJr

Re:

Krispy,

The question that has arisen is not so much judgment on the PERSON but judgment on the ACT.

This is what we are called to do as Christians..is to rightly divide the Word. We help others to better understand the things of God. This is called "discipling".

....what would you say to a person who says with his mouth..."I am a Christian BUT, I in no way ever intend from this day forward to ever say anything, or do anything ABOUT GOD OR FOR GOD."

I would tell this person...my dear friend, you are then deceiving yourself that you are a Christian. Because a Christian is one who as a result of his gratefulness for being redeemed with God, the pure form of fruit of this grateful heart is that he devotes his life as a slave to Christ, not as a slave to himself.

God Bless,
Desi, Jr.

2006/10/20 12:50Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

I got this from www.wayofthemaster.com, which is an excerpt from the Evidence Bible...I think this is a good response to this question.

"Does someone go to hell for committing suicide?"

Those who are adamant that a person who takes his life is committing a mortal sin, and will go to hell, are basing their belief on church doctrine rather than on the Bible. Scripture is silent on the subject. There are no verses that say "He who takes his own life shall be damned." According to Scripture, only one sin does not have forgiveness, and that is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit (see Mark 3:29 footnote). That means there is forgiveness for every other sin.

Some quote 1 Corinthians 3:17, which says that God will destroy someone who "defiles" the temple of the Holy Spirit. Yet, there is disagreement about what it means to defile the temple. Does this include suicide? Does it include illicit drug abuse (slow suicide), prescription drug abuse, cigarettes (deliberately breathing in poisons that will eventually kill), tattoos, over-eating (digging a grave with your spoon), or alcohol abuse?

God forbid that we add to the pain of someone who has lost a loved one through the tragedy of suicide, by making a judgment about their eternal destiny. God is the ultimate Judge, and we should therefore leave the issue in His hands. It would be wise to follow the biblical example and not come to any verdict in the case of suicide.

2006/10/20 13:20Profile

Re:

Quote:
....what would you say to a person who says with his mouth..."I am a Christian BUT, I in no way ever intend from this day forward to ever say anything, or do anything ABOUT GOD OR FOR GOD."

DesiJr...

I would recommend that you comb thru the +2000 posts I have written on this forum for your answer. You're preaching to the choir, my friend.

Once you do this you understand that when you say "I would tell this person...my dear friend, you are then deceiving yourself that you are a Christian. Because a Christian is one who as a result of his gratefulness for being redeemed with God, the pure form of fruit of this grateful heart is that he devotes his life as a slave to Christ, not as a slave to himself." ... you are saying the same thing that I would say.

In fact, thats exactly what I have been saying on this very thread. Not sure how you concluded otherwise.

Krispy

2006/10/20 13:40
Spitfire

Re:

To whom it may concern:

Apparently I scared some folks by talking of suicide and then disappearing for a couple of days. I went away for the weekend with my family.

As I said in my previous posts, I believe hell is the only place for someone who commits suicide, therefore, I won't be doin' that ;-) . Hell's an awful, awful place and I don't want to take a chance on going there.

I really just wanted some folks here to see how a person can struggle with it. It seems that there alot of people who can't understand how a person can get that low.

You know, there's a country song about suicide. It's called "How Do You Get That Lonely". I tell you how...by spending too much time with your big Self! Love, Dian.

2006/10/23 6:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy