SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Suicide

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Suicide

I was chatting to some Christian mates the other day, and they thought that if you commit suicide, then you would go to hell. I had a feeling that this is just what Catholics said, but I was interested to know what you guys thought?

P.S. sorry about the depressing subject, but it would be cool if I could clear it up in my head!

2006/10/18 13:38

Re: Suicide

No doubt that God does not intend for us to take our own lives, and therefore I believe that suicide is a sin.

Does a believer go to hell if they commit suicide? Not if they are truly saved. We all are sinners, and none of us is perfect. We all sin. If I commit a sin this afternoon, would you come to me and tell me I am no longer saved because I sinned? No. This would mean we lose our salvation everytime we commit a sin. Why would we think that a believer who commits suicide would lose their salvation?

Also, we must consider that someone who is in a desperate enough of a situation where they commit suicide probably does not have a relationship with the Lord anyway. To be in a relationship with the Lord means that we trust Him, and we understand that He loves us. No matter how bad the situation gets, we know He is always with us and will never forsake. I think someone who commits suicide has never fully accepted God's grace and mercy, and therefore I would tend to think that the person was not saved to begin with.

Saying a quick 30 second prayer does not make a saved.

Just my humble opinion.

Krispy

2006/10/18 14:36
bluinos

Re:

Quote:
but i was interested to know

Pardon me if i sound a bit tired, i had a long night. I've been away for a while and it's good to be back.

If i may and you don't mind, in my opionion yes you would go to hell, why because your life is not your own. There are some scripture in the bible that says:

1) When you were in your mothers womb he knew you
2) He knows the number of hairs on your head
3) God knows you by name

Again, padon my tireness at the moment. It sounds to me like there was and is a plan for this christian's life and by committing suicide you would go to hell.

2006/10/18 14:46Profile

Re:

So if we commit certain sins we can lose our salvation? God's grace isnt big enough?

Ultimately I dont think anyone can really answer this... just offer up opinions. I say we leave the judgement to God.

Krispy

2006/10/18 15:05
bluinos

Re:

Krispy Kritter,

The question was committing suicide, not committing certain sins. Not all sins lead to death, however there is a sin that leads to death, and if it wasn't for the resurrection of Jesus Christ and his power, we would be dead.

2006/10/18 15:12Profile

Re:

I still maintain that suicide is NOT the unforgivable sin that scripture referred to. The unforgivable sin is rejecting Jesus Christ. Once we are saved our sins are covered by the blood.

You believe if one commits suicide that lose their salvation. I maintain [b]#1[/b] there is nothing that can seperate us from the love of God, and [b]#2[/b] the one who commits suicide probably was never saved to begin with.... because if we are truly born again then we will exhibit the fruits of the spirit. Suicide is not one of those fruits.

Therefore, no sin can cause us to lose our salvation. Someone who is suicidal is not walking with God (I will exempt those with mental illness, bi-polar, etc...). God has promised us peace. Not inner turmoil. If we experience inner turmoil to the point of taking our own lives, then we can not possibly be leaning on God and trusting in Him with our whole heart.

Krispy

Krispy

2006/10/18 16:18
death2self

Washington DC area

Re:

I had a cousin who committed suicide last year. I spent a lot of time in prayer as he lay in a coma and pleaded for mercy. In my spirit I had no peace concerning his soul but I do know that God is just.

The scripture that is troubling regarding someone who commits suicide is Revelations 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and [b]murderers[/b], and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

I believe suicide is murder. I'm reminded of what Paris Reidhead said in the Revival Hymn "Will not the judge of the earth do right?" Yes, I believe He will.

2006/10/18 17:12Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I was at the prayer group and someone jumped of a bridge right infront of the train and my friend was in the train.
I have been at points when I feel like that?

In the book by John Bunyan Visions of Heaven and Hell. The start of the book starts with the character wanting to commit suicide and he says do not deface the image of god!! Which is an interesting way to look at it!!

2006/10/18 17:21Profile
logan_trky

Re:

Hello folks! This is a sensitve subject. That aside, the Bible states time after time that your body is the "Temple of the Holy Ghost." I think a great scripture illustrating suicide is this:1 Corinthians 3:17: "If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are." I myself believe that this explains the subject.

2006/10/18 18:49Profile
wyattearp

Re:

logan-trky,
Totally agree with your post regarding 1Cor3-17. Young's Literal translation says "if anyone the sanctuary of God doth waste, him shall God waste, for the sanctuary of God is holy, the which you are." I think like Krispy said no one can answer this, no one but God that is and I think that this verse is very clear. I have been the first responder(policeman) to a suicide and I can tell you from experience the atmosphere in that room was the most oppressive I have ever encountered.

Regarding the loss of ones salvation, no one ever asks if a person can FORFEIT God's salvation.

Wyatt

2006/10/18 22:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy