SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What will be the tone of Christ's voice as He sentences the wicked to hell?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Here4Him

England

What will be the tone of Christ's voice as He sentences the wicked to hell?

I have just been meditating on the love and anger/hate of God toward sinners.

I had a thought, a question really. here it is:

I wonder what is the tone of Christ's voice when He says to the wicked 'depart from me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels'? (Matt 25:41).

Is His voice full of contempt? Or is it full of authority but mingled with sorrow? Is this sentence accopmanied by tears? Is He triumphant in the righteous judgement of the wicked or is He sad at 'the death of the one who dies'( who goes into eternal destruction)? Is it one or the other of these or is it both?

I know we can only guess when taking this passage in isolation, but from the tenor of scripture we could probably know couldn't we?

Maybe it isn't that important for me to know- but it seems important to me right now in understanding the rich and full character of my Lord in His all rounded perfection- His holy wrath married with His love and compassion.

Will the same Christ who wept over Jerusalem weep as the wicked (creatures of His own hand and the offspring of His own love) are cast into hell?

2006/10/9 18:12Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: What will be the tone of Christ's voice as He sentences the wicked to hell?

Quote:
Will the same Christ who wept over Jerusalem weep as the wicked (creatures of His own hand and the offspring of His own love) are cast into hell?

I'm thinking of the passage:

And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus. For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy. And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments. And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.

Personally, I am not sure that the Lord will still be weeping after so long of bearing with sinners who refuse to submit to Him. I think of another passage:

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me. (Luke 19:27)

This is very serious stuff. I am not too much looking for a lot of sympathy on that great and dreadful day. Behold, NOW is the accepted time, behold TODAY is the day of salvation. The Heavens and the Earth are going to flee from Him on that day. We cannot fathom the awesomeness of that day. I have a feeling that if we did, we may well be different people.

2006/10/9 19:42Profile
Here4Him

England

Re:

Thanks brother Robert, I think I see what you are saying. Yes maybe you are right

2006/10/11 16:17Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

1 Timothy 6:13-16 I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession; That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

Exodus 33:17-23 And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name. And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy. And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Who is the Rock, where are we standing now? We are standing in the clift of the Rock. That is Christ. All those that are not standing in the Rock cannot see God. They will be cast into a place that will remind them forever who God is. Out God is a consuming fire. Those that are not in Christ cannot inter the Kingdom of God. They will be cast out. The mercy is with God. If he appeared before them without Christ in them, they would be consumed by His Glory,instantly Without being in the clift of the Rock, that is Christ, none can enter the Kingdom of God either in His House in heavenly places or His House on this earth. The High Priest forever must lead us into the Holy of Holies. Amen.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/10/11 20:10Profile
Here4Him

England

Re:

I listened to a great sermon by Paul Washer on the cross (highly reccomend it) yesterday. If I had heard if before I probably wouldn't have asked this question in the first place.

I suppose my problem is trying to understand both the love and wrath of God simultaneously. But i suppose that with the ungodly in Noah's day, they had time to repent and did not and the divine longsuffering delayed judgement for 120 years but finally even His patience had run out and then when the judgement came it was fierce, and no doubt the righteous God was glad to rid the world of their abominable evil.

I am reminded of the verse that says that a sword will go forth from the Lambs mouth to devour His enemies and how He will tread the winepress of the fury of God (or something like that). Perhaps then the righteous Judge the Lord Jesus Christ will in some way delight in seeing justice done and sinners judged on that day.

Still learning!

2006/10/14 15:15Profile

Quote:

I had a dream a long time ago, in which I was up near the top of the cross (it seemed - though I couldn't see it) and I could feel what His heart was thinking. From that place in the air, I could see the broad road passing across the middleground, with people on it in groups passing from left to right. Occasionally, someone (an individual) would leave the broad way and come to the foot of the cross and get right with God. But His overwhelming emotion was for those who did not come. He was [i]so[/i] sad they had turned down the gift of eternal life (with Him) He had won for them.... He was almost incredulous they could pass Him by. But they did.

It is true God 'delights' in justice, and I think He is overjoyed by genuine repentance, but, by the time it comes to judgement, my impression from scripture is that He will be in [i]destruction mode[/i].

Acts 3:23
And it shall come to pass, [that] every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be [b]destroy[/b]ed from among the people.

When I did a quick search on 'destroy' in the KJV, I didn't find any adjective to convey God's sorrow over the execution of His righteous judgments.

2006/10/17 15:07
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Dorcas,

Mine was close to the same thing. I saw above the Cross with Christ hanging there. I saw a great hole in the Heart of God. In that hole was lakes and seas. They became the tears of God for His Son that was hanging there. Because of how much He loved His creation and How Much He had given for them. This Perfect Son whom The Love of God was more that we can even conceive or understand. Those that walked by and cursed Jesus and spat upon Him and mocked Him, God's tears over His Son became Joy for those that would receive Him as their Lord. God still has that whole in His Heart.

Isn't God amazing, and His Son our life, and the Holy Spirit who is our whole ???????? I can't even express it but my tears and heart feel it and know it.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/10/18 2:15Profile

Quote:
Mine was close to the same thing.

Phillip, that's amazing.

Thank you for sharing your vision of God's sorrow. I have felt His Compassion in a different vision, but never understood [i]how[/i] sad He was.......

It seems to me that if the seas are His sorrow, then He is more sorry over our sin and death than we could ever be.

2006/10/18 6:43
Here4Him

England

Re:

Thank you both for sharing your visions. They both helped me in understanding something of God's heart.

Dorcas, i think i agree with you. Isaiah 61 talks about the year of the favour of the Lord (which is now) and the day of vengance of our God. It is interesting to note the use of 'year' and 'day'.

Now is the accepted time, today is the day of salvation but soon the long period of grace will be over and then in one day the full righteous fury and wrath of God will be poured out in judgement. I am reminded of the 120 years when Noah was building the ark. He preached for all that time and God was so very patient with His wicked world that He held off the judgement to give them time to repent. But then came the day when even God's longsuffering was all used up and we read 'God shut the door'. He then proceeded to pour out His righteous judgment on a wicked world.

Was He sorry? I think He was, but that His righteous wrath burned so strong that He was pleased to see justice done and His wrath satisfied and His Name honoured. I think He will be in destruction mode on that great and terrible day.

2006/10/18 14:49Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy