SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Hawaii's Great Awakening ~ 1835-1840

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Hawaii's Great Awakening ~ 1835-1840

[i]With thanks to FreeCD for the reminder of our friends over at[/i] [url=http://www.united4truth.com/]United4Truth[/url] [i]and the great resources made available there[/i]. [i]The following struck me on a number of levels, right on through to the end where the reality comes to bear.[/i]

An Excerpt;

[b]Prayer[/b]

The writers who recorded what happened during the Awakening were struck by the tremendous emphasis of the people on prayer. The missionaries in their annual meeting of 1836 had prayed and had sent requests to the United States for prayer on behalf of the Sandwich Islands. The Hawaiian people themselves it was noted had a unique ability to give themselves wholeheartedly to prayer. Missionaries on each island reported a tremendous interest in prayer. On Molokai, Mr. Hitchcock noted that "a number were in the habit of rising an hour before light and resorting to the school house to pray for the coming of the Holy Spirit.'' This was before an awakening took place on Molokai. Rufus Anderson in his book, History of the Sandwich Island Mission... states, 'Missionaries declare that they had never witnessed more earnest, humble, persevering wrestling in prayer, than was exhibited by some of the native Christians at this time; and that they had reason to bless God for being so greatly edified, comforted, and assisted by their earnest supplications.'' This was not only true for the adults, but the children as well. Mr. Baldwin reported how in Lahaina, for a lengthy period of time that "one could scarcely go in any direction, in the sugar-cane or banana groves, without finding these little ones praying and weeping before God.'' An interesting preface to the revival was what took place on board a ship that was loaded with reinforcements from Boston for the Sandwich Island Mission. The missionary team prayed both morning and evening and preached on Sunday with a revival taking place on board ship. The captain, one of his officers, and several on board ship made an open commitment to Christ and were taken in as church members along with the Hawaiian people on their arrival in the Sandwich Islands.

[url=http://www.sendrevival.com/history/hawaii/Hawaii%20Great%20Awakening.htm]TITUS COAN: GOD'S SERVANT[/url]

2006/10/9 9:02Profile

Re: Hawaii's Great Awakening ~ 1835-1840

If anyone wants Titus Coan's whole book digitized, which is marvelous testimony and inspiring story, just PM me and I'll email it to you......

this brother was the real deal, to this day, on Hawaii, you still have churches ON FIRE.

Glory!!!

bartle

2006/10/10 15:08
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Titus Coan

Quote:
If anyone wants Titus Coan's whole book digitized, which is marvelous testimony and inspiring story, just PM me and I'll email it to you......

Indeed, was quite taken with the whole account from this, had never heard of him or this particular revival.

PM on the way .. :-)

2006/10/10 15:16Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy