SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why all are NOT called to preach open air

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Why all are NOT called to preach open air

This is an offshoot of the rebuke thread.

One of the things that I have noticed over the years is christians misunderstand the call to witness and in regards to open air preaching.

Many christians get defensive whenever you talk about going out with the specific purpose of witnessing one on one. Christians really get uncomfortable when you talk about open air preaching. One of the reasons is because the hearer assume's that the Evangelist is saying they,(the hearer) MUST go do this. I would like to say that this is not always the case.

Every single christian already is actively witnessing. We witness primarly by what we do or don't do and say or don't say in day to day life.

So I don't try to "get peaople to go witness", they already are.However we do need to be "true and faithful witness'".

Now back to "purposely" going out to witness or preach.
That is something that takes a special calling,I think. I have had many people go with me on evangelism outreach. I can tell you that after awhile you and they begin to see wether they are really called to do this. There are some christians that I would not want to go out with me. Not because they are not true christians or backslidden. I would not want them because they are not currently meant for that work.

Finney spoke about the "Necessity and effect of union". to summarize he explained that you can get way more accomplished in soul winning and revival work if two workers are in union on the task. You could have five or ten "wanting" revival but not be unified on how to labor for it. Result would be no revival, no soul winning.

Going out in the street's is wonderfully fearful work. Yes, pray to the lord of the harvest for more laborers. However some of those laborers will be laboring in prayer and support back at the church or in their homes, etc.

My times up for now on the computer hopefully more later, God bless, John

2006/10/3 12:11

Re: Why all are NOT called to preach open air

Good word! Not all are the hands and feet, and the rest of the body should not seek to cut off the hands and the feet.

There is one body, many parts.

May we all do our part!

2006/10/3 12:44
myfirstLove

Re: Why all are NOT called to preach open air

i agree with you, john, that not all are called to open air (approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel). thats a big deal to preach His WORD. God will not just entrust anyone with HIS WORD! woe to those who carelessly handle the word of God and encourages others to go and preach the word knowing that many are not qualified to do so. (rom. 2:1-5)

1 Thessalonians 2:1-8

1For yourselves, brethren, know our entrance in unto you, that it was not in vain:

2But even after that we had suffered before, and were shamefully entreated, as ye know, at Philippi, we were bold in our God to speak unto you the gospel of God with much contention.

3For our exhortation was not of deceit, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile:

4But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.

5For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloke of covetousness; God is witness:

6Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor yet of others, when we might have been burdensome, as the apostles of Christ.

7But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children:

8So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us.

paul and others were tested. God seeing all, saw that they did not use the gospel as man pleasing; avoided flattery and covetousness. avoided ambition and vain-glory.

you will know when one have been APPROVED by God with the gospel to preach to the lost or their own. first, they have to go thru the fire, be tested. the fire will reveal their true motives. and, if God approves them He will back their preaching (word) with His power.

1 thes. 1:5

5For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but ALSO in power, and IN the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

2006/10/3 13:40Profile

Re:

I was once in Connecticut and a women lead a highschool bible study.

They wanted me to go to the bible study and get to know the kids a little.

They said, "You should take the kids out on the streets for some street preaching"

(And by kids I mean they were 16-18 which was my own age at the time as well)

I asked, "I'd love to take them out. But let me ask you, are the kids holy kids?"

(I asked because I had been to many youth groups that would have kids that drank, smoked, slept around, even had orgies etc etc)

But the response I got back shocked me.

The lady said, "What? I should ask you for asking such a question! What does that matter?"

Some of you might be thinking, "Did she really say that? What does it matter if they are holy or not? Did she really say she should slap you" which is exactly what I thought at the time.

But we have no right to call people to repentance if we are not repentant ourselves. We have no right to PREACH a sermon if we do not LIVE a sermon. Our life needs to be the first witness, then our preaching should be the second.

2006/10/3 14:06

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy