SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What happens when you overdose on SI sermons and now your pastor seems dull? =)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Santana

What happens when you overdose on SI sermons and now your pastor seems dull? =)

This week I heard messages from Paul Washer and Zac Poonen. Last week I heard from Leonard Ravenhill and David Wilkerson. And so on and so forth.

Now when I go to my home church and hear my pastor speak...I hate to say it...but I'm bored. I look around and wish people could hear what I have heard from all these great men. Is it me or my church? (I think most congregants are bored anyway)

2006/10/1 22:07Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: What happens when you overdose on SI sermons and now your pastor seems dull?

Hard not to chuckle at your heading but ...

Pray for him ... and burn a CD and give it to him.

2006/10/1 22:19Profile
roadsign

Re: HOW TO OVERCOME BORDOM IN CHURCH

Because being bored is really your problem, it is also your solution. That’s good news. There is much you can do about it. Here are some suggestions (tried and tested by me):

Be sure to have your Bible with you, ideally one with a concordance, and cross- references. Take pens, colored pencils, sticky notes,– in a pencil case, along with writing paper tucked into your Bible.

Note your pastor’s key verse. Then check cross-references, to see how other passages relate. Do word searches using your concordance.
Ask yourself questions about the various passages you are examining – ex: the 5W’s and H (who, where, what, when, why and how) Record discoveries. Draw illustrations in the margins.

Use your colored markers or pencils to highlight verses or words. For example, I use blue to mark “faith” or related words, green for “rest”, “hope”…. Yellow for references to the divine, or eternal…..You get the drift.

Ask for divine enlightenment along the way. Note the prayers in the Bible and apply them to those who come to your mind, including your pastor.

Make notes and discoveries in margins or on your paper. Jot down any points you can grab from your pastor’s sermon along the way, and examine in light of Scripture.

You will walk out of church jumping for joy because of all the exciting discoveries you found in God’s word. And to think: He gave you your own personalized sermon!

What you discover for yourself, with God’s help, will stick far better than what you learn from someone else’s hard work – even those who are among the greats.

God bless your adventures.

Oh, by the way, I almost forgot one more suggestion: Share your discoveries on SI.

Diane

2006/10/1 23:37Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

Quote:

roadsign wrote:
Share your discoveries on SI.

I agree; however, I too laughed when I saw your heading....Thanks for that; I forgot to laugh today...Praise God ;-)
These messages should inspire today's leaders no?...well, those that are humble anyway :-)
The Lord bless you
richie

2006/10/2 1:23Profile
martymill

Montreal, Canada

Re:

Brother, I know how you feel! It's heartbreaking. Every sunday I'm reminded to pray for revival.

Martin

2006/10/2 7:30Profile
openheart

Ontario

Re: What happens when you overdose on SI sermons and now your pastor seems dull? =)

:lol: And I thought I was the only one!

2006/10/2 8:04Profile
dohzman

Re: What happens when you overdose on SI sermons and now your pastor seems dull? =)

Instead of passing cd's on to your pastor why don't you try to befriend him and use those great saints of the past to help edify him by sharing with him what these men have and do mean to you. Pray for wisdom. God bless.

2006/10/2 8:06Profile
roadsign

Re:

Boring sermons were God's divine measures for me - like a big kick in the behind. He said, "It's time for you to grow up, and take responsibility for your own faith."

And to my surprise, I learned that I did not need to rely on sermons. I had God's Spirit, my Bible, a lot of good resourses, and my brain.

Amazingly, I had been sitting through sermons for 30 years before I figured it out.

Diane

2006/10/2 8:57Profile
avessel

Kosovo

fIRST OF ALL GREETINGS IN JESUS NAME. I READ YOUR POST AND WONDERED IF THE PREACHER WAS BRINGING THE WORD TO THE SHEEP AND FEEDING THE SHEEP IN TRUTH AND IN THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. IF SO THEN YOU DON'T GO TO CHURCH TO BE ENTERTAINED, BUT TO WORSHIP THE LORD AND TO HEAR FROM HIM.
BUT IF THIS IS NOT THE CASE MAYBE YOU SHOULD PRAY ABOUT THE SITUAUTION AND SEE WHAT THE LORD WOULD HAVE YOU DO. REMEMBER IT'S GOD WE ARE COMING TO HAVE AN ENCOUNTER WITH WHEN WE GO TO CHURCH. ANYWAY, I HOPE THAT HELPS. GOD BLESS YOU.

2006/10/2 9:23Profile
OverSeer

Geneva, Alabama

Quote:
Now when I go to my home church and hear my pastor speak...I hate to say it...but I'm bored.

Santana, I have two questions that may help: (1) Are you bored because of the content of his messages? (2) Are you bored because of the delivery of his messages?

If there is nothing wrong with the content of your pastor's messages but you are bored with the delivery then you would be unfair to your pastor by comparing him with others who in your estimation are "better speakers" because of their delivery. If there is something wrong with the content then you should definitely pray for him and maybe even consider passing on some of the messages you have been listening to.

If the problem is the delivery but the content is definitely in line with and is God's Word, then don't be bored - be blessed - many a congregation doesn't have a man who will preach sound doctrine. Even the great apostle Paul was considered boring by some: "For they say, 'His letters are weighty and strong, but his personal presence is unimpressive and [b]his speech contemptible[/b]" (2 Corinthians 10:10).

Grace and peace
Olan

2006/10/2 9:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy