SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : John Owens?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

John Owens?

Has anyone heard his teaching on remedial judgment? I haven't listened to it yet but plan to. My wife listend to it and said it was good. My question is how is remedial judgement towards the believer or non-believer compatable with John Owen's Calvinist views? If someone is already predetermined to be saved then the concept of remedial judgement does not make sense. If God has decreed someones salvation then they will be saved no matter what. Any thoughts?

2006/9/27 0:03

Re: John Owens?

SORRY..MEANT TO SAY "RICHARD OWEN ROBERTS" - NOT JOHN OWENS. :)

2006/9/27 0:16
enid

Nottingham, England

Sorry, haven't listened to the teaching.

Don't know what is meant by 'remedial judgment'.

Will have to listen first. God bless.

2006/9/27 1:48Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

A remedial judgment is a corrective judgment and is usually aimed at Believers in accordance with Hebrews 12. The judgment can fall on any entity: people, churches, nations, denominations, etc. The aim of a remedial judgment is to call God's people to repentance. Remedial judgments often take the form of natural disasters, plagues, disease, but can be the terrifying presence of a human enemy (or enemy nation) or even the poor spiritual health of the church. The Old Testament has many examples. In the New Testament, we see this in Corinth where people were becoming sick because they approached the Lord's Table improperly.

Both John Owen and Mr. Roberts are Congregationalists with some leanings towards the Baptist denomination (as it was originally, not as it is today!).

I am not sure how your question relates to predestination and salvation since remedial judgments are typically aimed at those who are already regenerated. Please clarify.

The idea that the elect "will be saved no matter what" is an error dubbed hyper-Calvinism or fatalism. It is wholly unbiblical. Neither Mr. Roberts nor Mr. Owen teaches this nonsense!

Where did your wife hear Mr. Roberts' teaching on this subject?

Barring any devious plot by the post office there should be some of Mr. Roberts sermons on remedial judgments posted on SI very soon!

Yours in Him,
Matthew

PS There is no ‘s’ at the end of John Owen! ;-)

2006/9/27 5:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy