SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does God Want You To Be Rich?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Does God Want You To Be Rich?

Have you guys read the Time magazine article, "Does God Want You to Be Rich"

Link: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1533448,00.html

Edit* oops, I cant seem to get the link to work, so just go to www.time.com and search "does god want you to be rich" in their search engine/.

2006/9/25 12:13Profile

Re: Does God Want You To Be Rich?

I watched the start of a Lakewood church service and I must say, it made me cringe. Where in the Bible does it say that by becoming a Christian, you are always happy, always prosperous, always joyful and well-off? Joel Osteen just kept saying: The Lord will bless you. He will do this, He will do that, He will open heaven and bless, bless bless. We will be happy, rich, this, that, blessings and blessings.

What, is God like a vending machine so we can get everything we want? It isn't about what God can do for us, but what can we do for God. After all, His primary purpose for saving us was so that He could be glorified by us, and so that we could praise Him.

Taking up my cross involves sacrifice, but a joyful sacrifice because we know what we will inherit instead of wordly wealth. When that man sold his entire belongings to buy that field full of treasure, he didn't do it grudgingly but was joyful in it.

Doesn't it say in the Bible that it is easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven?

Obviously, I am not saying that the Lord does not bless. Being in His presence is the most incredible feeling you can ever experience. He gives us such incredible things. But God isn't there to give us everything we want; we have been created primarily to praise Him and Him alone.

Lord, not what I can get from You, but what You want from me.

2006/9/25 12:56
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Luk 14:25 And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them,
Luk 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Luk 14:27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
Luk 14:28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
Luk 14:29 Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,
Luk 14:30 Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.
Luk 14:31 Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand?
Luk 14:32 Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.
Luk 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.
Luk 14:34 Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned?
Luk 14:35 It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Act 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

must....MUST....MUST!!!!

there is no way around that, blessings from the lord...isent the beatitudes a sort of a way map of what a blessing is...

Mat 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Mat 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Mat 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Mat 5:7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Mat 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Mat 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Mat 5:10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Mat 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
Mat 5:13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

i dont see money there...i dont see blessed are the happy.... i dont see blessed be those who will get money....

christian

2006/9/25 13:13Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

brethren
that article is also being discussed in the news and current events section so y'all can check it out

2006/9/25 13:42Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

A lot of rich people are in hell today. Not all will go, but most will.

We think small.

When we think of God blessing someone we immediately think 'money'.

If that is the only blessing anyone wants from God, they don't want much.

Sinners become rich without God, do we say they are 'blessed'?

Let's seek after the true riches. God bless.

2006/9/25 15:17Profile
HopeinChrist

Re:

http://www.miniature-earth.com/

This is an interesting little film. In the eyes of most of the world, most of us if not all of us using this forum would be considered "rich." How many of us see ourselves that way?

2006/9/25 22:01Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Does God Want You To Be Rich?

I went to this site, pulled up the Photo Essay: God and Dollars. Some how I cannot visualize Jesus in the midst of all that glitzy hulabaloo. Reminds me of the cascinos we saw recently in Shreveport LA. Wonder how much difference there really is in the two - in God's eyes, e.g.

ginnyrose

2006/9/26 9:12Profile
WorldView

Davao, Philippines

Re:

I belive that God wants us to be financially prosperous.

The common problem with Christians is that when many become prosperous in the natural realm they allow their spirit to get poor.

God's blessings encompass all parts of us: mentally, physically and spiritually. I do admit that there is an overemphasis on financial blessing, yet I dont think that it should be balanced out by stamping out financial prosperity all together. We all want to prosper financially. Heck if you dont want to prosper financially, then send your money my way, I'll put it to use for the Lord here in the Philippines.

2006/9/26 12:33Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

i say this...if god wanted me to have money...i would already have them, if i he wants me to get money i will get them... but no matter money or no money..it shouldent be of any consern... it shouldent get your feelings down if you dont have money..it shouldent make you feel like you havent succseded in life... i im in christ... and as one man said if i get some money in my hand i get rid of it very very fast...or else it maybe find its way into my heart.....

and something very important...if i im a christian... a follower of christ... i will never own a cent again in my life .every dollar cent dime belong to christ...and i do belive every piece of money we own we are going to be held acconteble at the judgement seat what we did whit it.... i have some dicipline in my own life whit this.. i have to do more in this area...

2006/9/26 12:50Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

Amen!!!

I love the story of the Widow's mite, I wonder if God Blessed her with lots of money.

2006/9/26 13:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy