Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Must a Christian Sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
I have so much joy in my heart knowing that through God's grace, I can live the rest of my entire life walking in the beauty of holiness.

Amen! I believe it to be possible also!

2006/10/23 18:56Profile
Cato

Re:

When I try to copy sermons they show up as a "php" file and Itunes will not accept it...do you know how to correct that?

2006/10/23 20:13Profile

Re:

LOL, why is it when you say, "I WILL NEVER SIN AGAIN AS A CHRISTIAN" or "I DONT SIN AS A CHRISTIAN" people always think your telling a lie? This is what Scripture says folks. IF a Christians sins, they still can say "I WILL NEVER SIN AGAIN AS A CHRISTIAN" and they can also say "I DONT SIN AS A CHRISTIAN" and still they haven't contradicted themselves.

Forget this nonsense that teaches you will sin, your going to sin, you sin, etc. I'm speaking to Christians. Thats called a lisence to sin people. IF a Christian sins he has an Advocate but not when Christians sin. In other words, this isn't about sinning and being forgiven anymore, its about Jesus Christ and as I always say, when you fix your eyes upon Jesus Christ and when you see Him, you no longer can sin.

If you sin, you havn't seen Him or known Him. Lets leave it like that Christians, now go off and sin no more. Go off and live as God says to live and enjoy Him forever, He is your Treasure if your a Christian, right?

2006/10/23 20:24
HopeinChrist

Re:

GraceAlone

Quote:
The more we learn about God the more clearly we see the sin in our lives. Not one Christian can claim to have lived a perfect life from the time they were saved. Its clear that we still war against our flesh.

This has been true in my experince with the Lord. The longer I walk with Him and the more intensely I seek to know Him the more he reveals things in me that I never even knew were there. It is usually a heart wrenching revelation of self, but praise His Holy Name His grace always follows right behind it. Ever noticed how Paul's view of himself changed over the course of his ministry?
Initially he called himself "the least of the apostles. Years later he refered to himself as less than the least of all saints. Shortly before he was beheaded he professed to be the chief of sinners. As his view of Christ's Holy perfection became clearer and greater his estimation of himself became less.

That said, I suppose it is "possible" to not sin. There is a scripture and perhaps more than one which says, "if a man sins......" which would suggest to me that it may be possible not to. I imagine there have been few if any other than Christ who have walked it. 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks per year x how many years? To walk perfect in thought, word and deed. It's a pretty tall order which even the Apostle Paul did not accomplish.

All I know is, I thank God for the blood of Christ in which I put all of my hope. For I fall very short more often than not. I strive to be quick to repent and hopefully walk purer today than yesterday. After 30+ years of working out my own salvation, it is my hope that the things that I have put away is more than the things I have yet to put away.
HopeInChrist

2006/10/23 21:39Profile
Peacemaker

Bakersfield, California

Re: Grace Alone

I think you identified one of the key scriptures. Certainly 1 John talks about a Christian not sinning. I think we have to get to the point where we expect ourselves not to sin rather than to sin. For me it has been an issue of "Identification" ie that "I" am "me" the "new man" not the "old man" It's kind of like telling your children when they leave home "remember who you are"

Oswald Chambers

Signs of the New Birth August 15
from The Psychology of Redemption

1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin" Do I seek to stop sinning or have I stopped sinning? To be born of God means that I have the supernatural power of God to stop sinning. In the Bible it is never - Should a Christian sin? The Bible puts it emphatically - A Christian must not sin. The effective working of the new birth life in us is that we do not commit sin, not merely that we have the power not to sin, but that we have stopped sinning. First John 3:9 does not mean that we cannot sin, it means that if we obey the life of God in us, we need not sin.

God never takes away our power to disobey; if He did, our obedience would be of no value, for we should cease to be morally responsible.

Before the new birth we sin because we cannot help it; after the new birth we need not sin. There is a difference between sin and sins; sin is a disposition, and never spoken of as being forgiven, a disposition must be cleansed. Sins are acts for which we are responsible. Sin is a thing we are born with, and we cannot touch it; God touches sin in the redemption. If we have been trying to be holy, it is a sure sign that we are not. Christians are born, not made.

2006/10/23 23:42Profile
GraceAlone

Orlando, Florida

Re:

I agree that God doesn't take away our ability to obey as christians, yet we've all disobeyed regaurdless.

1 Peter 1:2
elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.

2 Corinthians 1:10
who delivered us from so great a death, and does deliver us; in whom we trust that He will still deliver us,

Romans 6:5-14
5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. 13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

The idea that sanctification is a liscence to sin is ridiculous...

1 John 3:6
No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

1 John 1:6
If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.

Point is if you live in sin you are lost. Now if falling in to sin means you are lost then we're all lost because I'm sure you've fallen into sin being saved. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that christians are sanctified after conversion. If you say you haven't sinned since conversion then consider God's standard.

Rejoice always
Do all to God's glory
Looking with lust (Mat 5)
Being angry in your heart (Mat 5)
Giving thanks in all things
Doing all from faith
No complaining
Perfection
Loving God with all you heart mind and strength
Puting God first

I know God gives us ability to do these things but I haven't found a single person who does not sin at all like Jesus. Point being there is no licsence to sin here: If someone takes it that way they have no desire to uphold righteousness and I believe are lost. A christian loves what is good. Also, if a professing christian is not living in righteousness you can be sure that he is lost.

1 John 2:3-4
3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

I agree that righteousness is not something we ourselves conjure up, but God does. Righteousness flows from a redeemed heart. Without fruit there is no salvation. I'm not saying that we have a "sin nature" but that we fight against our flesh. If there is a pattern of sin in our lives and we walk in darkness we're lost.

Romans 7:23
But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

1 Peter 2:11
Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul,

But if we live and walk in the flesh...

Romans 8:6
For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Quote:
1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin" Do I seek to stop sinning or have I stopped sinning? To be born of God means that I have the supernatural power of God to stop sinning.

You have the power to stop but you still have your flesh. Its not either or its both. When you become a christian you seek to stop sinning and stop sinning (as a practice of sin). But you may still fall into sin. This doesn't mean that you are lost. That should not excite a christian because christians hate sin. We should desire to be totally pure.

Here is a quote from weslyan theology: which is arminian:
Quote:
We believe that after we have experienced regeneration, it is possible to fall into sin, for in this life there is no such height or strength of holiness from which it is impossible to fall. But by the grace of God one who has fallen into sin may by true repentance and faith find forgiveness and restoration.
Mal. 3:7; Matt. 18:21-22; John 15:4-6; I Tim. 4:1, 16; Heb. 10:35-39; I John 1:9; 2:1, 24-25.

[url=www.myspace.com/kristycwhite]Myspace[/url]
[url=www.cornerstoneorlando.org]My Church[/url]

2006/10/25 7:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy