SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Background to Abraham

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Background to Abraham

I wasn't sure what forum to post this in...

When I went to the British Museum a couple of months ago to research some aspects of the Abraham series, I went to a mini-lecture on this artifact, the Queen of the Night. It is a very recent acquisition of the BM, and is not yet in the Mesopotameian rooms.

I thought it might provide an interesting illustration to the kind of 'gods' that Abraham turned his back on when he obeyed God. The dates are a very close match for Abraham's.

There is a mistake in the notes. Lilith, I think, is mentioned in the Apocrypha, not the 'Bible'. (For those who wondered where Fraser Crane's wife got her name, now you know)

2004/1/29 6:31Profile
Clutch

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Re: Background to Abraham

Hi Ron,
Since you said:

"I wasn't sure what forum to post this in..."

I thought I'd just use this uncertain thread to ask you a question.
On the way to Macon State Prison to minister the other evening, my two comrades and I were riding along the highway in the "Bubba Car", enjoying some friendly conversation, and
listening to some preaching on the stereo. A preacher inparticular was preaching on "Justification". We were all riding along, sweet as pie, until that inparticular preacher made this phenominal statement.
He said that we are NOT resposible for what we don't know. "Bubba" almost slung a hub cap when that came out, and I had to listen to those guys all the way to Oglethorpe. They was fussin' about what that guy said the whole way. At first, I thought that we'd just misheard a statement, so I listened to the sermon again this morning on the way to church.
You know what Ron, that fellow said the exact same thing I'd heard the other night. My question is: "How could you fix your mouth to say such a thing?" :-D

You said" ...I think, is mentioned in the Apocrypha."
Could be where that "not responsible" concept came from too. Moo! :-D
Clutch :-P

2004/2/8 18:23Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Clutch
I think I may know what the preacher was getting at, but I would have expressed it differently. I would say you are not responisible for what you could not have known. The Lord's question 'have ye not read' puts clear responsibility on those who can read and have the materials to read. But what of those who have no Bibles and no opportunity to hear? What is their responsibilty.

I am quietly praying for 'the gift of interpretation of Clutch's questions' ;-) but until that arrives I presume that 'how could you fix your mouth to say such a thing?' means something like 'how could he say that?'?? I would need to know the context of the statement, but on occasion, particularly in counselling, I have said to someone 'you must not hold yourself responsible for what you did not know'. (unless, of course, you ought to have known it)e.g. "I should have known that my father was drinking and done something about it."

The comment by James has some bearing on this...
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. [James 4:17] According to that mini-definition, sin includes knowledge and rebellion.

2004/2/8 23:46Profile
Clutch

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Re:

Hi Ron,
The Pharisees over here (with whom I associate), have built a doctrine around a couple of verses that would indicate that being responsible for our sin has nothing to do with knowledge:

Psalms 51:5 "5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Romans 5:12-15 "12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam’s transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come."

I know you've done some of this on a similar thread regarding folks with mental handicaps. I too have to agree that some where in Gods Grace and Mercy that type situation is covered. I just can't point it out in the Bible.

Sorry about the language problems, but I speak several dialects of American English, and I often unintentionally mix them up. Do you unerstand it when I say " :-P "?

Clutch :-D

2004/2/9 4:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy