SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Quite Disturbing: The Veggie Tales Bible, mixing fiction and fact so as to deceive

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TrueWitness

Quite Disturbing: The Veggie Tales Bible, mixing fiction and fact so as to deceive

The most disturbing thing I've seen in a long time:

http://www.sliceoflaodicea.com/archives/2006/09/new_veggie_tale.php

Now all the kids will come to believe that all the heroes of the Bible are comic book characters like Casper the friendly ghost. Just sick!

2006/9/19 9:57Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

mixing fiction and fact so as to deceive?

Can you give me an example where veggietales has mixed fiction and fact [u]so as to deceive[/u]? I'm only asking because that is a very serious accusation to make.

2006/9/19 10:16Profile
TrueWitness

Re: mixing fiction and fact so as to deceive?

Well if their version of the Bible is like their videos you have this as was mentioned in the comments section of the article linked:

My daughter watched VeggieTales when she was younger. I turned my back on those videos when I saw the Jonah movie. The sin of Ninevah was portrayed as the people slapping each other in the face with fish!!! That was why God told Jonah to preach to them? They had to repent of slapping each other with FISH?! Stupidest thing I ever saw.

Is that mixing fact and fiction or not?

2006/9/19 10:27Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

but you said they are doing it to [u]deceive[/u]

In their Mission Statement Big Idea says this:

What We Believe

The irresponsible use of popular media (TV, film, music, etc.) has had a profoundly negative impact on America's moral and spiritual health

The same media, used responsibly, can have an equally positive impact

The best way to improve people's lives is to promote biblical values and encourage spiritual growth

[u]so where is the intent to decieve?[/u]

2006/9/19 10:59Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

I never said that they did this with the intent to deceive. Deception occurs as a result of what they are doing. You have inferred something that I did not imply. My statement: Mixing fiction and fact so as to deceive. I could have said it this way: Mixing fiction and fact with the result of deception. "so as" does not mean premeditated intent.

2006/9/19 11:14Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

I guess I misunderstood then. the statement: 'Mixing fact and fiction so as to deceive' sounded to me like deception was the intention.

2006/9/19 11:23Profile
HopeinChrist

Re: Quite Disturbing: The Veggie Tales Bible, mixing fiction and fact so as to deceiv

Quote:
Now all the kids will come to believe that all the heroes of the Bible are comic book characters like Casper the friendly ghost. Just sick!

I am not going to say whether the Veggie Tales vieeos are helpful or harmful. I do not know enough about the videos or the company to say either way but I will say that you must minister to a child on a child's level. And as children always have they will grow in wisdom and maturity and realize that bible stories are not comic book heros. precept upon precept
Hope

2006/9/19 13:01Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
My statement: Mixing fiction and fact so as to deceive. I could have said it this way: Mixing fiction and fact with the result of deception. "so as" does not mean premeditated intent

I am glad this has come up because I have really been wondering about it all myself. Why is there a need to make Bible characters into Vegatables in the first place? My kids have had these videos for years and now I am beginning to wonder if in fact if I have not been playing the Devil's game. Can I be raising a generation to simply not take the things of God serious enough? What ever happened to the good ole' fashioned cartoon bible stories? Even there, sometimes it is hard for kids to tell the difference between fiction and reality.

The disturbing thing is how there is always a feeling that the things of God have to be made 'relevant' or 'palletable' for human consumption or something. As if unless we 'mix' a little worldly flavoring into the bowl, the kids won't eat the sauce. When I went to Sunday School, the stories were told right and they were interesting. The teachers used tools and stuff to tell the stories, but they did not alter the characters into something they were not. If they used puppets it was for the sake of telling the story- not being the characters.

The trouble is that the Church is now in many cases used to doing this type of thing. They think it is OK.

Uzzah learned a terrible lesson. He had had the Ark of God in his house for like 20 years (I Samuel 7). He with his brother Ahio drove the cart on which the ark was placed when David sought to bring it up to Jerusalem. When the oxen stumbled, Uzzah, in direct violation of the law (Numbers 4:15), put forth his hand to steady the ark, and was immediately smitten unto death. Some say, he was divided asunder. David got upset and feared at the same time.

Did Uzzah get in the habit of touching or even handling the Ark while it was in his fathers house? Was he so familiar with it that he did not reverence the Lord and took it for granted? The day came when what used to go on was no longer acceptable. I think its important that were reverence God. Who do we think we are? Seriously? These are the things of God we are talking about and they are being profaned as if they were common. God help us!

2006/9/19 13:50Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Amen, Robert!

I cringe when I see characters given Bible names, whose story line somewhat resemble the name used in the real Bible story but are embelished. This the viewer could get it confused with the original story.

Would it not be better to formulate a story whose principles will reflect a known historical incident but with different names? Would this not prevent a child from getting the two confused?

ginnyrose

2006/9/28 13:14Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
Amen, Robert!

I cringe when I see characters given Bible names, whose story line somewhat resemble the name used in the real Bible story but are embelished. This the viewer could get it confused with the original story.

Would it not be better to formulate a story whose principles will reflect a known historical incident but with different names? Would this not prevent a child from getting the two confused?

ginnyrose

I really don't understand the problem. I have watched all of the Veggietales made to date. The writers do not take liberties with the meanings or characters in the Bible stories. If there are any embellishments, Bob and Larry are sure to 1)distinguish them from Biblical fact and 2)point straight to the Bible for more information about it at the end of the show. The main point of the story is always the same as the Biblical principle.

In Jonah, slapping fish is the sin, what was Ninevah's sin? I've read the book of Jonah, it isn't mentioned other than "their wickedness has come up before Me." So they made that the sin, for a child's story. The fact is that sin is sin, no matter what it is specifically, Ninevah was guilty, Jonah ran from his job, but was given a second chance. the Angel chorus in the belly of the whale is actually my favorite part in the movie. why? Because our God is the God of Second Chances...it shows God's mercy and compassion for Jonah even though he was disobedient, and the same is true for us too. There is nothing in it that changes the Biblical meaning of Jonah's story.

Is it up to movies to tell our children about God and the Bible anyway? That is our job. As for Veggietales videos, I would rather have my child watch a Veggietales video for entertainment than any of the trash on television these days.

2006/9/29 16:22Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy